Farmall/Maxxum questions

brewcrew

I’m not particularly familiar with these tractors past the MX/MXM line. I’m seeing some maxxum 125 type machines for less money than an MX with similar hours but 10-15 or more years older. What engine did they use? What year did they start def? Did some still use a mechanical injection pump? Are they significantly less reliable than the legendary MX?

The MXM (of New Holland heritage)  has basically nothing in common with the MX Maxxum.  The Maxxum 125 would be an evolution  of the MXM [This is incorrect.  See SDman’s post below].  MXMs were troublesome, especially the 175 and 190.  Seems a lot of the troubles of the MXM were addressed by the subsequent models.  I drove an early post MXM Maxxum once and wasn’t impressed.  I prefer the MXs.

When the MXM's came out that was when the MX's got spun off into the McCormick brand right?

So if you wanted a newer MX you'd go with an early McCormick, but those are rarer than hen's teeth.

Since when are the MX's "legendary?" Didn't they have major wiring problems?

49 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

When the MXM's came out that was when the MX's got spun off into the McCormick brand right?

So if you wanted a newer MX you'd go with an early McCormick, but those are rarer than hen's teeth.

Since when are the MX's "legendary?" Didn't they have major wiring problems?

MXM's were the wiring nightmares. Not the original MX series that suceeded the 5200 series. 

The CNH Maxxums(not the CaseIH MX Maxxums and 51/5200 series) trace their lineage from the CaseIH MXU/New Holland TSa series, introduced in the mid-2000s. That tractor more or less continues on as the current line of Maxxums as far as the drivetrain is concerned. The MXMs morphed into the current Puma line still built today by CNH, although there's been so many changes since that they aren't really the same tractor.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SDman said:

The CNH Maxxums(not the CaseIH MX Maxxums and 51/5200 series) trace their lineage from the CaseIH MXU/New Holland TSa series, introduced in the mid-2000s. That tractor more or less continues on as the current line of Maxxums as far as the drivetrain is concerned. The MXMs morphed into the current Puma line still built today by CNH, although there's been so many changes since that they aren't really the same tractor.  

I assume they use a computer controlled engine. But a friend said he thought they started with a mechanical injector pump. Can you confirm this? Or which year the switch happened? What year did they get def?

First off, Tier IVa models began at 2011 production; that's when they went to DEF on all models; also, that's when they went to all electronic-controlled engines.

On the Tier 3 models before that(2007(?) to 2010), you could have either an electronic engine with 4-valves, or you could still get a 2-valve engine with mechanical fuel system on certain models. That HP-size/class of tractors is such a wide-range of models with so many options it would make your head spin.....and I don't care if your talking red, green, blue, pink or purple tractors....they're all that way. You can go from a fully-dressed model with all the features of a big tractor(PFC pump, electronic remotes, electronic hitch, etc.) to a cheapie model with bare-bones features(open-center pump, mechanical remotes, mechanical draft control, etc.) to anything in-between. You could have 2 of these tractors side-by-side that look the same, but one is half the price of the other depending on configurations/options, so shop accordingly. If you don't need all the fancy stuff, you can sure save some $$$$, but don't look at a cheapie model thinking its going to do everything a top-of-the-line model will do and then be disappointed. I've seen that happen too many times when guys are shopping for this HP size of tractor.

Good luck on your tractor shopping.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SDman said:

First off, Tier IVa models began at 2011 production; that's when they went to DEF on all models; also, that's when they went to all electronic-controlled engines.

On the Tier 3 models before that(2007(?) to 2010), you could have either an electronic engine with 4-valves, or you could still get a 2-valve engine with mechanical fuel system on certain models. That HP-size/class of tractors is such a wide-range of models with so many options it would make your head spin.....and I don't care if your talking red, green, blue, pink or purple tractors....they're all that way. You can go from a fully-dressed model with all the features of a big tractor(PFC pump, electronic remotes, electronic hitch, etc.) to a cheapie model with bare-bones features(open-center pump, mechanical remotes, mechanical draft control, etc.) to anything in-between. You could have 2 of these tractors side-by-side that look the same, but one is half the price of the other depending on configurations/options, so shop accordingly. If you don't need all the fancy stuff, you can sure save some $$$$, but don't look at a cheapie model thinking its going to do everything a top-of-the-line model will do and then be disappointed. I've seen that happen too many times when guys are shopping for this HP size of tractor.

Good luck on your tractor shopping.

So how would a guy identify the basic tractor or the loaded tractor? Was the transmission an indication? IE- the basic tractor have a synchro vs the power shift in the tractor with more options?

Looking up parts for this series of tractors will give a feller a HUGE headache. 

So many options, you have to have the serial number to attempt narrowing it down, there is a option for every option and the parts book descriptions are lacking. 

7 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

So how would a guy identify the basic tractor or the loaded tractor?

I guess a guy needs to be schooled a bit on what your looking at. To the trained eye an open center gear pump isn't even in the same zip code as a closed center pump. The mechanical injection pump versus electronic is pretty simple. Mechanical draft is levers while electronic draft is a couple little trouble free buttons and switches. 

• Thanks 1