deer kill pics of this year

Rusty shackleford

12 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Big body at 245.  I feel like the farm deer are always bigger then the mountain deer in the northern part of our state.

I think my lifetime buck was 202? Pretty bad that I can't remember it's only been 5 years ago 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ky966boy said:

She got her first buck69232934-11F8-485F-AE7B-07EE12E36450.thumb.jpeg.d3d76dc52ca335dae6a44c14715dbad1.jpeg

0BA61A24-6FA2-455D-BF96-6BEC85196E94.jpeg

Lever action 30/30?  I have a friend that I hunted a lot with when I was younger.  He used an opensight Winchester.  He used to call it his lucky 30/30.  Killed deer every year with the thing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

Lever action 30/30?  I have a friend that I hunted a lot with when I was younger.  He used an opensight Winchester.  He used to call it his lucky 30/30.  Killed deer every year with the thing.

It’s a Rossi .357 I was packing it she killed deer with a 6mm creedmore the Rossi was prettier for the picture she said.

• Like 1

I've got an old model 94 from 1908 that belonged to a trapper, without question that single gun has killed more animals than all my others put together by a ways, great package for brush hunting here but she's about wore out and a wall hanger now

• Like 2

...this picture goes back a ways.....simple way to carve up a large red deer , is to drop the oil out of the chainsaw...then run the saw down the back bone ...quick and easy

It is an old   35mm slide...hence the ''mark'' on the photo

Mike

Untitled (2) (103).jpg

• Like 3

On 11/22/2022 at 6:55 PM, sandhiller said:

Didn't get my buck this year.

Not sure why☹️

snowcamo.thumb.jpg.0d2df9abcc73c3e6f1ff5c96808844fa.jpg

..very disappointing . Jeff

..bet your old undercarriage  hung pretty close 

...and by the look of that firearm, I doubt if there was any "buck shot '   either

Mike

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

..very disappointing . Jeff

..bet your old undercarriage  hung pretty close 

...and by the look of that firearm, I doubt if there was any "buck shot '   either

Mike

Thought you were gonna say something bout me wearing white🙄😉😆

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

bet your old undercarriage  hung pretty close 

You can't see the knipco I had under there😅

• Haha 4

Me and my kids didn't get a buck yet, today was rifle opening day. First two were a buck shot a few miles away, it spent time on a landlords property bordering close to where it was shot. Next three are all at the landlords farm , an 8, 10 and 12 with one G3 broken off early in velvet they have his sheds from last year. I saw a total of 16 deer between morning and afternoon sits today but no shots fired 

IMG_20221126_202840112_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20221126_202829191.jpg

IMG_20221126_195215330.jpg

IMG_20221126_195033891.jpg

IMG_20221126_195158970.jpg

IMG_20221126_195013927.jpg

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, CC_Ranger said:

Bitty,

Those are all nice mountain deer. Racks sure have gotten bigger in PA over the years.

They are! I'm guessing that the 12 point is 150"+ ... maybe 160. I'll ask them if they put a tape to it at church tomorrow 

50 minutes ago, CC_Ranger said:

Bitty,

Those are all nice mountain deer. Racks sure have gotten bigger in PA over the years.

Sure have.  My opinion is 20+ years ago any buck in PA was a good one.

No buck here yet.  My son (15) and I had at least 15 deer in sight throughout the day.  At the end of the day we decided it would be nice to each get a doe. We each shot one around 450pm.  I was trying to look online at proper deer density.  Everything points to us having too many.  We skinned these out and have them in the walk in.  Lots of fat cover presumably from my triticale?  20221126_175323.thumb.jpg.43c8a43add9a73700f8649c11a8ea3d9.jpg

• Like 4

We are getting some new rules next year on what we are allowed to hunt with cartridge wise. Most are straight wall pistol cartridges or older rounds without a lot of ballistics. The caveat is the gun may only hold 1 round so you can modify a tube on a lever gun or have a single shot of some sort like a bolt gun or high/low wall.  I’m not in favor of it but cannot change it. I was thinking on a 45-70 single shot. I know  the cartridge is capable of a 300 yard shot if the gun can do it. Problem is, there are no 45-70 bolt guns to speak of, levers need modified, and single shot models like the Henry and T/C have short barrels that aren’t made for any distance. Any ideas?  I even thought of a Ruger No 1 but you are talking about some Big $$ there.  I don’t need to try and pack a 15lb sharps to the deer stand and am thinking scope vs iron sights to get some distance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

We are getting some new rules next year on what we are allowed to hunt with cartridge wise. Most are straight wall pistol cartridges or older rounds without a lot of ballistics. The caveat is the gun may only hold 1 round so you can modify a tube on a lever gun or have a single shot of some sort like a bolt gun or high/low wall.  I’m not in favor of it but cannot change it. I was thinking on a 45-70 single shot. I know  the cartridge is capable of a 300 yard shot if the gun can do it. Problem is, there are no 45-70 bolt guns to speak of, levers need modified, and single shot models like the Henry and T/C have short barrels that aren’t made for any distance. Any ideas?  I even thought of a Ruger No 1 but you are talking about some Big $$ there.  I don’t need to try and pack a 15lb sharps to the deer stand and am thinking scope vs iron sights to get some distance. 

PA changed the rules this year for the special regulation areas (urban jungle).  They used to be shotgun only but now allow straight walled cartridges.  4570 and 444 come to mind like you said.  I see there is a new 350 legend that is available in several bolt action models.  Putting a plug in place of the magazine on a bolt gun would be pretty easy.  We don't have the silly 1 round rule.  Maybe with all these new regulations some manufacturers will step up to fill the void.

For the time being they still allow traditional calibers where we are at.  It probably should be changed in our county but it would spell mutiny. 

32 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

PA changed the rules this year for the special regulation areas (urban jungle).  They used to be shotgun only but now allow straight walled cartridges.  4570 and 444 come to mind like you said.  I see there is a new 350 legend that is available in several bolt action models.  Putting a plug in place of the magazine on a bolt gun would be pretty easy.  We don't have the silly 1 round rule.  Maybe with all these new regulations some manufacturers will step up to fill the void.

For the time being they still allow traditional calibers where we are at.  It probably should be changed in our county but it would spell mutiny. 

I looked at the 350 legend. It really doesn’t give me any more range than my muzzleloader setup. I have dies and supplies for the 45-70 currently.

3 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

The caveat is the gun may only hold 1 round so

crap happens.

Sometimes a quick follow up shot is needed for a humane kill. (And yeah, I know the cartridge between the fingers method with a falling block rifle, but gheez.......)

Just one more example of people who don't know their arse from a hole in the ground making policy in an area they don't belong.

On a somewhat related note.

I have always been extremely cautious when walking up to the business end of a downed buck.

1669421550379.png.40fcb3ce43e38b3bbaa99645b4710790.png

Good luck and stay safe to those still in the field.

• Sad 3

Another legendary buck was downed by a local farmer yesterday . The sheds from this buck and spring summer range was 8 miles away the way the crow flies for 4-5 years. Last fall he stayed in his fall range long enough to shed there . I originally didn't believe it but those who had the trail camera pictures and sheds swore it's the same buck. Split brows , ones and twos for 5+ years 

IMG_20221127_111808091.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bitty said:

They are! I'm guessing that the 12 point is 150"+ ... maybe 160. I'll ask them if they put a tape to it at church tomorrow 

The 12 was 145 as he is, been more with the G3 broken off 

25 minutes ago, bitty said:

Another legendary buck was downed by a local farmer yesterday . The sheds from this buck and spring summer range was 8 miles away the way the crow flies for 4-5 years. Last fall he stayed in his fall range long enough to shed there . I originally didn't believe it but those who had the trail camera pictures and sheds swore it's the same buck. Split brows , ones and twos for 5+ years 

IMG_20221127_111808091.jpg

I texted his brother and he said 168 gross score unofficial 

5 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

yeah...come on down to New Zealand ...and have a good time hunting here...come and sit around a camp fire   and I can introduce you to the smell of silver beech smoke and billy tea.....:)

Mike

....and show you my anvil    ...and some American axe's.....and my American lever firearms......and my Chinese made Milwaukee  battery powered tools...sigh

• Thanks 1