Farmer ingenuity

yellowrosefarm

I picked up this wreck of a Super C last weekend mainly for some of the hitch parts.  I didn't notice until I got it home that it has drum brakes up front.........and a bunch of other fun stuff. 

The guy said it probably last ran about 40 years ago and that his Dad used it the last few years without the clutch working.   

HPIM4478.JPG

HPIM4479.JPG

HPIM4488.JPG

HPIM4481.JPG

HPIM4482.JPG

HPIM4485.JPG

HPIM4486.JPG

HPIM4483.JPG

HPIM4484.JPG

• Like 3

Excellent post , Depression Engineering at it finest on a no less a super C , that’s  awesome 

So many questions?

i haven’t figured the steering shaft .

Reminds me of our Super C 

You got to get that running 

33 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

Hitch parts haha. That what you told the wife. You just needed a excuse for another project. Hehe

No, seriously. I bought the whole tractor for less than the parts I needed were selling for on EBAY.  I had bought a fast hitch several years ago for my "C" that was supposed to be complete.  When I started to put it on the tractor I found out quick that the pile of parts on the pallet, wasn't a complete hitch.  I really am trying to tie up some of these old projects. I'll even get to the pump you sent me one day 🙂 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

No, seriously. I bought the whole tractor for less than the parts I needed were selling for on EBAY.  I had bought a fast hitch several years ago for my "C" that was supposed to be complete.  When I started to put it on the tractor I found out quick that the pile of parts on the pallet, wasn't a complete hitch.  I really am trying to tie up some of these old projects. I'll even get to the pump you sent me one day 🙂 

I know you did. Just had to pester you about another project. Your like I am got to many projects to do and can't find the time to get them done everyone else seens to bring me theirs and wanted it done yesterday.

Well----that's definitely an interesting project that someone apparently put alot of thought and work into.

Would be interesting to talk to whoever to learn more about the reason for adding brakes to a tricycle front end of a light duty tractor???

My first thought/concern would be "how safe it would be applying brakes up front with the tricycle front end"-----how the tractor is going to react???

No doubt-----to go to that much effort and work;-----there must have been a special need/reason.

Keep us posted if you learn more along his line of thinking.

Necessity has always been said to be the mother of invention!!!!

Looking forward to hearing more about this project.

DD

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stronger800 said:

I have never actually been around a rear wheel drive vehicle that had drum brakes upfront but I imagine the stub axle shafts must’ve been pretty short and welded to a knuckle of some sort. Cut that knuckle off and weld two of them back to back and you’d have something like this right?

Front drums go on a spindle like a rotor with wheels bearings on a disc brake set up, like trailer axle spindles. 
I don’t think there’s any evidence these brakes were setup to actually work?  There would need to be a master cylinder of some sort along with brake lines. 

• 3 weeks later...

I went back and got the sickle bar, which I believe to be a C21. If anyone has a picture of the pitman arm assembly I'd appreciate it. He may have it in the piles of his Dad's stuff, but doesn't really know what to look for. One of the prongs is bent (surprise) but I remember reading here about someone straightening one, so hopefully that will come out all right. If you see anything else that is missing let me know. I had one on the wide front C I sold years ago, but a lot of water under the bridge since then. 

The story on the tractor front end was that his Dad was mowing one Saturday about 11am and hit a ground hog hole which broke the bolster. They got it loaded on a trailer and took it down to his cousin who had a shop and a big scrap pile. They threw this together and the tractor was back in the field by 6pm

HPIM4492 (1).JPG

HPIM4496 (1).JPG

HPIM4498 (1).JPG

On 9/23/2022 at 10:54 PM, Art From Coleman said:

WHY? This had to be an ultra-rare option, OR, is this an example of "farmer ingenuity"?  And how were they actuated?

HPIM4478.JPG

Either way, it is rare.