IH 9100i M11 ECM fuses , fuel line project

ole 815

Thought I would share this. Might save you some grief and get you going sometime.

I've had my semi not start before.  Few years back, would jus crank over but wouldn't start.

Figured out it had some fuses hanging in a harness by the starter solenoid.  One of them was blown. Replaced and ....tadaaa...it started. I'm calling them ECM fuses right or wrong?? Anyway, it won't run with out them...lol  They're not very easy to see, or even know they are there!

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, starter took a crap. Replaced it, noticed fuel line was leaking that can only be replaced while starter is off. Didnt have time then, had to get corn unloaded and to town.

Semi died coming home, no warning. Hmmmm crank but no start. Checked those ECM fuses, were good,  but wiggled wires. It started!

Pulled starter again to replace fuel line. I found a bad wire in that ECM fuse harness plug. It was laying on fuel line fitting, guessing that is why fuse blew few years back. And thinking had something to do why it died other day. Was only a couple strands of the 12 guage wire left.

There is actually 3 fuse holders. Found one that was hidden,and only seen with starter off.

2 with 15 amp,  the one closest to clutch housing is a 5 amp.

Got the wiring routed better now and the fuse holders are more accessible now.

Hopefully all is good now. Got lucky and  stumbled across an issue replacing fuel line that would have turned into a nightmare to find that bad wire.

Few pics  for ya

Red arrows- fuse holders 

Yellow arrow- bad wire that was laying on fuel line fitting on ECM Cooling Plate

20220922_134931.jpg

20220922_150047.jpg

20220922_154426.jpg

20220922_175618.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Only RED in the shed said:

The 5 amp fuse is a ground fuse I believe.did you put your fuses in battery box? That's where I moved mine to

No, jus got them re routed so there is more slack and can get access to them more easily.  No way that was possible to do with starter in way,especially the 5 amp one. Didnt even know that one existed, till I cleaned up the area a bit after starter was off and was replacing fuel line.

New starter is physically smaller than oem starter. That helps alot!

i replaced a 42MT 24V starter (56 lb of starter) last month on a Cummins ISC in a 2001 Gillig rear engined bus. No easy access to anything but I do have all the wiring diagrams. The little 12 MM 12 point starter bolt heads are nice. Did you torque down the starter or just best guess at torque?

Mostly all of the bus fuses are mounted on panels with mounted fuse holders, seeing it on a schematic and then  locating a part can be a puzzle.  They have power  panels all over the bus

Good luck with your gremlins!

16 hours ago, ole 815 said:

New starter is physically smaller than oem starter. That helps alot

Just replaced starter on C15 in the Pete.

Much smaller and lighter.

Took both hands on to get old one down. One hand to get new one up.

Starts like a new one now!

Also dealing with old wiring, dirty, oily, hidden 

Fun. Fun. Fun. 😄

3 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Just replaced starter on C15 in the Pete.

Much smaller and lighter.

Took both hands on to get old one down. One hand to get new one up.

Starts like a new one now!

Also dealing with old wiring, dirty, oily, hidden 

Fun. Fun. Fun. 😄

I powerwashed chassis up good when  I tackled the job of  pulling starter back off  to replace fuel lines.

I didn't have that luxury pullin off the heavy, grimey, oily bad starter. Had to tackle that job near grain bins on the gravel...fun ...like you said 

• Like 1