VET COST FOR PETS

pt756

hello there, our milkman was telling a story of his sisters cat recently, so our good local vet will not take care of pets on the weekends anymore, low staff i am sure, so the cat was laying around and she ended up going to a farther away place that does work on the weekends, so she had to put 2400 dollars up front, cat was there 2 days, not sure what the problem was , couldnt pee? well on the whole bill was about 25 hundred and some, a couple of days later cat ended up at the local vet anyway wasnt much better, had surgery  another 1300 dollars, i know there are tremendous amounts of money spent on pets nowadays, we have a nice dog getting up there in age i kind of hope that we arent in that same situation

Luckily my wife and I are in agreement that there's a cutoff, especially for an old animal. When our dog tore up a knee when he was young then sure we were willing to spend the money. Vet had a relatively inexpensive procedure and said "It's not Tom Brady's knee and the dog will get along fine" and he was right! When the dog finally needed to be put down it was a very sad day indeed but no amount of money would have made him young again.

Our scheduler must have spent 10k on her kick dog. NO WAY! she spent lots of money when the dog was already in its teens. I know how attached you can get, heck, they're family but there's a limit.

• Like 4

My dog took ill last night, she’s pushing 13 and for a big lab, even by lab standards, 86 lbs and not fat, that’s pretty good. I wasn’t sure if she was going to make it to this afternoon but so far so good, she has fever with inexplicable cause pending bloodwork. 
bill today for bloodwork, an IV 800ml, visit, urine sample, and antibiotics was $401.xx i think my vet is fair and she squeezed me in on short notice. We do a monthly chiropractic and acupuncture treatment for her which is up to about $130 and takes about an hour. So far until now shes been pretty healthy and slow and steadily weakening but holding her own drug free. 
i was agonizing while waiting, where do you say no, its not worth it. So far if i were to spend thousands at this stage in her life it would have ti be a pretty compelling case for a happy dog for years to come and I don’t see that happening, shes the last survivor of a litter of 9. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Got my monthly statement from the vet.

$250 charge I did not recognize.

It was for spaying one of mother's little female cats.

Only the second time in that last ten years.

I was allowed to say "wow" and then subject was closed. 

Where do you draw the line on an older dog that has spent his life adoring you?

Damn tough to weigh that one out. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

My dog took ill last night, she’s pushing 13 and for a big lab, even by lab standards, 86 lbs and not fat, that’s pretty good. I wasn’t sure if she was going to make it to this afternoon but so far so good, she has fever with inexplicable cause pending bloodwork. 
bill today for bloodwork, an IV 800ml, visit, urine sample, and antibiotics was $401.xx i think my vet is fair and she squeezed me in on short notice. We do a monthly chiropractic and acupuncture treatment for her which is up to about $130 and takes about an hour. So far until now shes been pretty healthy and slow and steadily weakening but holding her own drug free. 
i was agonizing while waiting, where do you say no, its not worth it. So far if i were to spend thousands at this stage in her life it would have ti be a pretty compelling case for a happy dog for years to come and I don’t see that happening, shes the last survivor of a litter of 9. 

I feel for you. They're not with us long enough and give us unconditional love while they're here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I guess the $275 I paid for the vet to come look x-ray and ultrasound my horse’s knee isn’t so bad. Maybe I got a break since the vet is my uncle. :D

It's tough. I haven't yet as an adult had to make the call. Not looking forward to it. Almost did a few years ago with a stray cat who found us after she was already pretty down and out. Buuut with domesticated animals, they're created by humans, devoid of the natural defenses of their wild counterparts, and it's not their fault they're totally dependent on us. So I feel it's a moral responsibility to do what we can. Anyway, we spent a mortgage payment or three on her, with no promises she'd pull through, and yet here she is, throwing her toy down the stairs and singing to it as I type.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

When our pets are suffering and in pain it's time to do the most tearful job in our lives! When you don't have the resources to have it done, then it's up to you! I really dread that job but I've had to do it a couple of times.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, augercreek said:

When our pets are suffering and in pain it's time to do the most tearful job in our lives! When you don't have the resources to have it done, then it's up to you! I really dread that job but I've had to do it a couple of times.

Anyone who doesn’t dread that job doesn’t have a heart. But I think the world would be a better place if everyone put their own pets down, or at bare minimum sat with them while the vet does. I think it teaches respect for life.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We had a horse get ripped open on a gate hinge right before we moved down here. Vet spent 5 hours sewing him back up. Charged Lisa less than $500. Took my Dolly dog in to get spade and it was about the same. 
5 years later, and other then the scar on Oscar’s ribs and shoulder, he is as sound as ever. I have roped a few big critters with him since they got him stitched back together and he has never been sore. I have pictures of him but they are a bit too graphic for general population. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

Anyone who doesn’t dread that job doesn’t have a heart. But I think the world would be a better place if everyone put their own pets down, or at bare minimum sat with them while the vet does. I think it teaches respect for life.

Did that a few years ago. Gave the dog his favorite treat, a frosty paws that he ate lying down as he couldn't stand anymore. Vet did it in the living room on his bed. We watched him draw his last breath and stroked his still warm head. I dug a hole with a backhoe and we buried him with his favorite toys. It was snowing and the flakes were melting on my cheeks hiding my tears. My wife and I toasted him with almost the whole bottle of a good single malt. It was heartbreaking. I'm sad just thinking about it again.

Buster was around for my kids until they were off to college. He was always there for them, waiting for them to get off the bus. He was always waiting for me when I came home from a trip. We didn't know how he knew until one day we broke the code. My wife always neatened the house before I arrived including cleaning the toilets. Being a clever dog he associated it and was always waiting patiently at the top of our drive, staring at the bend in the road until I drove up. What a welcome!

I sure miss that dog.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Vet bills can be large.  My deal is if we take on a pet we owe it reasonable care.  So if we can afford it we pay.  And oh have we paid over the years.  Just last week the wife’s dog she deeply loves had an swollen infection on its head.  Right now it’s walking around with a shaved spot and a tube hanging out, and that wasn’t cheap.   I don’t even know what that one cost but the wife is having a tough time and the last thing she needs is to lose her dog baby. 

• Like 3

I have the vet come to the farm to give the beagles their shots, I’m down to just 15…. A few years ago after his visit a tech from the office called and wanted to know if I was interested in getting my dog’s teeth cleaned….. I told her that I really felt that would be pretty expensive. Fortunately I get some good quantity discount s and they agreed to do all shots, nails and teeth check as well as worm and flea stuff for 750$. A good deal I thought.

• Like 2

It's agonizing to have to make the decision, especially for an old dog. I don't feel like we should make them suffer more, though, just because we don't want to. Our spaniel mix at 12 started losing bladder control. She was a tough dog that didn't show pain easily. I took her to the vet and they said they didn't even know how she was alive, her kidney levels were so bad. They suggested IV fluids and other stuff for thousands of $. I said it's time to let her go. When my black and tan bloated at 10, his eyes were already glazed over by the time I got him to the vet. They still wanted to open him up and try to get his guts untwisted but he died on the table while I was trying to make my mind up. My wifes favorite horse developed a really high fever and the vet told us we should put him down, that cases like that rarely recovered. She couldn't, so for the next 3 weeks he really suffered while in the horse hospital, we spent $10,000, and they told us to come get him if we wanted him to die at home. Which we did. Everyone has to make the decision they can live with. It isn't easy for anyone that I know.

Around here, horse vets are the most expensive, small animals next and cattle a real bargain compared to the other 2. That's a marketing thing as they all have the same training and perform the same types of services on their respective animals. I can have a farm call for a dozen cows to preg check, vaccinate, worm and examine for less than the annual checkup for my 2 Collies. I'm sure that's why there are only 2 cattle vets that service this area anymore.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, brewcrew said:

But I think the world would be a better place if everyone put their own pets down, or at bare minimum sat with them while the vet does.

This, I have had the graves for my two cats already dug, and the marker in place, and when they are buried, I will wrap them in a shroud, and place their favorite toy with them.

There is only so much (and very little at that) that I can afford to have them treated, but they deserve to live as best that I can afford.

The vets here in town have a candle that is lit, whenever a pet is being put down.

And, my will is set up so that 85 percent of my pittance of an estate goes to a NO-Kill animal rescue/shelter.

• Like 3