The farm where equipment goes to die

Farmall1066

I haul grain, well I think it’s grain?! Mainly rotted and bug infested corn and beans.  Well on this farm he has many tractors, from 77 Oliver’s to a New Holland 9284 articulated 4wd.  In between all the variety, he has a 1566, well so I thought! Come to find out, it’s actually a 1568 that has been converted to a 436 with an inter cooler.  For years the 15 sat in the weeds, in a low area and during snow melt, usually was sitting in about a foot of water.  4 years ago, I had it wrapped up by trading him my trucking bill, but he just didn’t fully commit.  As soon as I showed interest he started using it, now it’s been parked for 2 years again.  I have no idea engine, or power train condition, but I’m assuming the last time oils were ever changed was before this guy bought it!  So here I am about done hauling for him again, and probably for good! I can’t handle being around his moldy grain anymore, it’s causing me health issues! And it takes anywhere from 3-6 hours to get loaded.  
So all in all, I’d like to save this 15, he’s going to owe me a pretty decent chunk of money in the end, what would you guys value this 15 at? I believe it has original rubber on it also?! E8E116CE-C799-4C89-A10C-691453056EDB.thumb.jpeg.0379c37943d923d755b5f6958672e367.jpeg3448BD6F-8376-4ABA-97B9-73C5FED3978C.thumb.jpeg.616ca1f188d433ed5b12b8767cdc907e.jpegF6AEDD75-2EEA-4EB4-A19C-EEAF36F6482C.thumb.jpeg.40e69da176790cfa68ebe95e400f2d66.jpegB4AADB67-0064-47B3-949D-45DEBEDA54F2.thumb.jpeg.ca879cc86978bc3df902ca9e985b25ab.jpeg4ADEAEC8-0271-4D35-BCE4-3C5263A9995F.thumb.jpeg.7bf72bffa466af03f14f5c243a642e33.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Shoot you hit a gold mine just with the full rack of weights! Looks like it even has 1566 decals or just side panels of a 1566. Have you asked him about it again or waiting to hear about a value?

32 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Ugh, I know little about 68/86 series, but I know the type of owner. Though it looks straight it might be better to take the money and run! 

I hear what your saying! Money would be the best option, but the IH guy in me hates to see this tractor continue to rot away! 

Stupid red tractors and the addiction that comes with them!! 🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

I’m waiting until I’m done hauling, and I have a price in mind, but I’m sure he will have no interest in selling! Nothing leaves this place, and I’m not kidding, nothing!! 

Yea those places are frustrating. Would you convert it back to a 1568?

1568 with the wrong motor is basically a mutt unless you’re just gonna use it. Can’t imagine the fortune it would take to put a v8 back in it.   5-6 grand would probably be fair.   The pusher pump may be worth an extra hundred!   Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a good 1066 bought 2 years ago for $7400, with a good loader. Another guy offered 8000 to me before I picked it up. Should have kept it instead of getting my 2090, but I let it go. 
That 15 isn’t worth what the 10 was in my opinion. 
Your situation is part of the reason I am hooked onto the tank. Between crappy grain, long load times and short elevator hours!! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Yea those places are frustrating. Would you convert it back to a 1568?

Not sure in this case but it would probably be extremely difficult to do. DV 550s in the wild are as rare as hen's teeth. Probably one of the reasons why this one has a 436 in it. You also have to swap frame rails to go from inline engine to V-8 and vice versa. 

From the description of this place. Im willing to bet damn good money that he bought it in this configuration. Guys like this would leave the tractor to rust in peace in the weeds rather than put the money and effort to swap out engines and frame rails. So the frame rails that were with it originally are no where near the farm and probably got scrapped a long time ago. Engine is probably long gone too. 

What you have there is a 1566 with 1568 serial numbers. Its a 1566 in all intents and purposes with the afore mentioned parts MIA.

A number of years ago a black stripe 1568 sold at auction near me. 550 had put a viewing window in the block. The engine was long gone but he did have the V-8 frame rails in the barn. Was decaled as a 1566 after the retrofit.

• Like 2

The reason the topic is labeled the way it is, is because, nothing, and I mean nothing leaves this place!!! I’ve been hauling out of this place for 13 years, and even the new pickups that come, and get destroyed don’t leave! 

7 hours ago, nate said:

5-6 grand would probably be fair.

Kind of my thoughts!!

30 minutes ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

, I'd be looking at the same money or a little less that original offer.

I agree 100%

I do not see trying to put it back to a V8, but you never know?! 
Now here’s where it gets real interesting!!!! My dad has a 1568, came from down in Oklahoma, this 1566/68 is only 9 serial numbers from my dads, and was sold new 35 miles from me! 

• Like 2

Sounds to me like you want it. And it’s neat, with the story of your dads. I’m not a truck driver…but I think I’d figure your time, truck and fuel costs  closely…and maybe consider offering the guy $,$$$  out of your pocket, into his…..and you’ll probably have a tractor.  
You said you didn’t want to haul his stuff anymore, so, if you don’t get it done now you may never see that tractor again