Hot water pressure washers

sandhiller

I guess I will give my 2cents. 

I had a hotsy for many years. Decent enough machine. 
sold it and bought a used alkota. 
I like it better. It seems like less pressure with more heat. 

if you’re  like me and want the old oil/grease off of your tractor but want the decals to stay on it’s a better machine in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someday I hope to own one...use to work at a shop that had one, it was a Hotsy.  All a cold pressure washer does do to good grease is move it around.

• Like 1

Sandhiller:  I have the older version of that very washer.  It is only 1600 psi though.  You don't need a lot of PSI if you have heat.  It will blow pure steam if you turn it all the way up!   You have to be careful not to remove decals and even paint inadvertently. I bought it used from a man who used it commercially to clean warehouse floors.  I don't know haw many hundreds of thousands of gallons it has had through it.  It has a CAT pump.  Most of the parts of the heater are standard burner parts so you can you can get parts at your HVAC dealer.  10 years or more ago I ran biodiesel through it and that rotted the rubber grommets that the hoses went through and caused a leak.  Purely my fault.  I called Northern to buy a new tank and they sent me a new one free even though I told them I wasn't the original buyer and how it happened.  Great customer service.  The main problem I have had with mine is not using it enough so that the mud daubers build mud nests in it.  I have had to remove them from the blower fan before.  Overall i can recommend it, with the caveat that mine is probably 20 years old and they may have changed them some.  I wish everything I bought was s good as that has been.

• Thanks 1

From what I am reading, with hot water, the 2750psi and 2.5gpm is more than enough to clean up a dirty engine. 

That was my main question. 

And where my jobs will be on the smaller side, the lower psi and gpm may even be an advantage. 

Thank you guys. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Sandhiller:  I have the older version of that very washer.  It is only 1600 psi though.  You don't need a lot of PSI if you have heat.  It will blow pure steam if you turn it all the way up!   You have to be careful not to remove decals and even paint inadvertently. I bought it used from a man who used it commercially to clean warehouse floors.  I don't know haw many hundreds of thousands of gallons it has had through it.  It has a CAT pump.  Most of the parts of the heater are standard burner parts so you can you can get parts at your HVAC dealer.  10 years or more ago I ran biodiesel through it and that rotted the rubber grommets that the hoses went through and caused a leak.  Purely my fault.  I called Northern to buy a new tank and they sent me a new one free even though I told them I wasn't the original buyer and how it happened.  Great customer service.  The main problem I have had with mine is not using it enough so that the mud daubers build mud nests in it.  I have had to remove them from the blower fan before.  Overall i can recommend it, with the caveat that mine is probably 20 years old and they may have changed them some.  I wish everything I bought was s good as that has been.

Thank you much, good to hear your experience. 

I have been looking around but keep coming back to that one. 

Hammer's cocked, just need to pull the trigger🤠

AS I said mine is 1600 psi and has tackled everything I have thrown at it including bulldozers (I accidently turned it up too high on that  and removed the latest layer of paint from that).  Mine is 120 volt, 20 amp.  230 might limit where you can use it.

I don't even use any soap with it.  it doesn't need it.  The grease just melts off!  One thing to watch is that any bare metal is completely open to corrosion after you go over it with the hot water.  You probably should spray it with some rust preventative afterwards.  Working on clean equipment is a joy though!

• Like 3

We bought an Aladdin brand hot pressure washer new in 1989 for $1750. It is a 1280 psi 120V unit that uses diesel for the heat.  We also have a 3000 psi portable hot pressure washer that we don't use very often.  We use that Aladdin 1280 psi almost daily, we had to replace the belt, fix the float, and change the oil in the pump, and that is it for 33 years. We find that Aladdin to be just the right size for almost everything, removing grease and oil on equipment with no soap, just heat, and general washing of everything. Our larger hot pressure washer will remove paint and decals quite easily, so you have to be careful. The only bonus to the bigger pressure washer is the higher psi and gpm are better for removing mud off machines, the more gpms, the better. The small Aladdin will do it, but it doesn't use very many gallons per minute, so it takes longer. I've cleaned engine blocks, crankshafts, rods and pistons with it before taking them to the machine shop and they can't believe they haven't been hot tanked. Wash the part with hot water until the part is too hot to touch, then blow the part dry with a blowgun, works great. We added a hose reel with quick connects to remove the gun and it makes it quick to put it away when you are done.

Whatever you decide, it may seem expensive at the time, but you won't regret it over time. Make sure you keep it in a heated area, ours stay in the heated shop, otherwise it will get expensive to fix the tubing in the burner and the pump if it freezes. A friend of ours found out the hard way when the furnace in his shop died.

• Thanks 1

Good stuff. 

When I started, I was concerned about not having enough psi/gpm but the more comments I read the more I realize you can have too much.

When I'm moving out heavy stuff, say cleaning out the stock trailer, the hydrant or firetruck (100gpm@100psi) works well.

If dried on then cold water pressure washer sure saves time and does a better job

Think I will put my money on quality like name brand motor and CAT pump vs high gpm/psi numbers.

Changed my way at looking at this subject.

Thanks for getting me on the right road gentlemen 🤠

Base hobby shop spent many dollars on a BillyGoat steam pressure washer, goal was to clean the working bays.  A year later the manager parked it and went back to a brush and a mop.  He blamed the issue on a non-sealed concrete floor saturated with oils after years of use. Could be good for cleaning engine bays.  Gillig recommends steam cleaning of their rear engine buses as a yearly PM, so does Cummins but they say to stay clear of the ECM and other electronics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oleman said:

so does Cummins but they say to stay clear of the ECM and other electronics.

Which would be almost impossible on anything 'modern', given the amount of electronics, the wiring, and connections, not to mention the heat. 

I wouldn't even be too thrilled using high pressure cold water, or to spray a grease removing solvent on an engine, even prior to washing with high pressure cold water.

Remember how the operator's manual would say NOT to spray the injection pump with cold water, causing it to seize, which gives me a feeling that spraying a computer module with hot water, or steam, might well 'cook' it permanently.

• Like 1

Went to pull the trigger on the one I showed in my first post.

Website would only take PayPal which I don't do. 

Thought I would just give them a call, isn't that what we used to do when we had a problem, you know, talked to people???

Yeah, well their phone number was not from here..................Kuala Lampur! 

Well that put a little pee in my cheerios

So, I looked for an American Co that had that model on the interweb, can't find it. 

I guess the search goes on

13 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

I guess the search goes on

IF, the Midwest Messenger is still being published (and their office was in Tekamah, NE., there was a company out of Sioux City , that would advertise in there every issue, he dealt in new and used pressure washers of every type, along with parts.

It has been years since I last saw, and read one, but their office may be able to tell you the name of the business.

It could well be this business, as the address (US 75) sounds familiar:

Hundertmark Cleaning Systems Inc.
Address: 3230 hwy 75 n, Sioux City, IA 51105
Hours
Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM Mon

Just think of the shipping cost from Kuala Lampur (which is a suburb of BFE) to Cody, Nebraska.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Art.

Only thing I found was this add for hotsy.

IMG_20220924_134350999.thumb.jpg.aa18edfc128f6cfd627bd8f4123ac5f2.jpg

I will give Hundertmark a call on Monday 

Master Tool Store did have free shipping if I could wait 20 to 25 days.

Um, yeah I could.

Just now, Rawleigh99 said:

No Northern Equipment anywhere near you? You could go pick it up in the store.

Think Minnesota somewhere between bass ponds is closest. 

I couldn't find one that I could afford on there. 

Was only three which really surprised me. 

I order from them often for other stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Wow, northern tool used to have five or six electric hot water pressure washers. Now all I see like I have is the add-on water heater. Bummer.

Really surprised me too

17 hours ago, acem said:

If your not in a hurry look for a used one.

They get cheap when they need worked on. The older ones are simple controls. No computers.

Thx-Ace 

Four of them on FB marketplace in my area.