Hot water pressure washers

sandhiller

I have some leaky tractors I would like to clean up and stop the oil moving from inside to outside.

My cold water pressure washer just pushes the grease around (I haven't tried the soap thingy, would that help?)

Don't need commercial grade, just some personal use. 

I been trying to buy used Alkota, Hotsy etc but someone else always wants it worse than me.

Got me searching the web for alternatives

Would this be worth the money or would the low psi and gpm be like trying to eat uncooked rice with one chop stick???

I hate/don't trust online reviews. 

Would rather hear from you guys.

NORTHSTAR ELECTRIC WET STEAM & HOT WATER PRESSURE WASHER — 2750 PSI, 2.5 GPM, 230 VOLT

Image 1
  • Image 1
  • Image 2

That looks a lot like our Power America pressure washer. If i can believe their website the specs are similar, i am not sure of the gpm of ours but its 2500 psi. It peels grease, paint, decals, pinstripe, skin, 200 degree water  sort of dissolves everything it comes in contact with. I drooled over those north star until this one came up used it has a two twins locally bought the same time, all are well over 30 years old and one used nearly daily with virtually no maintenance. If its rating is accurate I think that north star would be one heck of a machine. 

009D3BFB-E369-452D-BB44-541E3CF525BB.png

• Thanks 1

You'll love a hot washer. I got mine used from a maple syrup operation. Dealer told operator it was not repairable. It had problems. Mouse nest in burner sooted up coils and it had a leak. It took forever for me to disassemble and clean out soot and find/weld leak but for  $60. cash and sweat equity it was well worth it. Anything loose will come off with the hot blast. A little gunk or industrial degreaser helps leave a clean surface. I haven't used it in a long time but for the investment it can sit until I need it.

Hydro Tek pressure washer.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, New Englander said:

Anything loose will come off with the hot blast.

Not to harp on a point, but some things that aren’t loose too. Like paint and clear coat and lettering. It is worse by far than a standard cold water unit. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

Not to harp on a point, but some things that aren’t loose too. Like paint and clear coat and lettering. It is worse by far than a standard cold water unit. 

Ha! Yeah, you don't want to aim it anything you're not sure can take it. Leave the car washing to the cold water washer with a wide angle nozzle.

Peeled plenty of paint with a hotsy with only 700 psi. Machine is still in use. Used a North star for 4 years. Zero problems. Never used soaps or presoaks. If it's not coming off get closer. If it's peeling paint, decals or bending fins. Back up. Water softener is a must in this area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought an old used one that needed love. Very good deal if your willing to repair it yourself.

Be careful if you use a hot water heater with a pressure washer. Check the temperature ratings of the pump on your pressure washer. 

Thx-Ace 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Has anyone ever used a gas water heater to supply a pressure washer? It doesn't typically take a lot of gallons to wash a tractor. Put 2 hose connections on the heater and a portable LP tank. Would 120-150 degree water hurt anything in the pump? 

The water at that temp shouldn't hurt the pump. The biggest problem is having the water circulate in the head of the pump. That is when the seals burn up.

It's recommended to run cold water through the pump before putting it away to cool the head.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mader656 said:

Honestly i just plumbed a line off the water heater...to my cheap pressure washer...works good

As long as my outside wood stove is running,that is what i do. I have run lots of 155-160 degree water through my regular pressure washer without any issues. It's not a replacement for a steam cleaner but it works well enough for general cleaning.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Has anyone ever used a gas water heater to supply a pressure washer? It doesn't typically take a lot of gallons to wash a tractor. Put 2 hose connections on the heater and a portable LP tank. Would 120-150 degree water hurt anything in the pump? 

I have done it with my wifes new electric washer. It says 100 degree max, no explanation as to if that is a safety concern or an equipment concern, but i tried it anyway. I have about 140-150 degrees off the oil fired water heater. 

• Thanks 1

I wouldn’t spend that kind of money on a steam cleaner unless you really want one, based on the description of your needs. There are some awful good cold rinse out there that will do what you want. I hear everyone raving about purple power, or citri-solve (which I used as floor soap and washing air filters)... go on Zep products web site for a soap to do exactly what you want to do. Knock off the heavy gunk with your pressure washer to give the chemical a chance to work on the fine stuff.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Binderoid said:

I wouldn’t spend that kind of money on a steam cleaner unless you really want one, based on the description of your needs. There are some awful good cold rinse out there that will do what you want. I hear everyone raving about purple power, or citri-solve (which I used as floor soap and washing air filters)... go on Zep products web site for a soap to do exactly what you want to do. Knock off the heavy gunk with your pressure washer to give the chemical a chance to work on the fine stuff.

Have you ever used one?

• Like 1

My dad bought an alkota years ago, been really good with minimal maintenance! I just bought a hotsy 2 years ago, and I use heat when I wash everything! Just plain makes the job easier! 

If you buy it from Northern, make sure the store services what they sell!!! That’s why I bought the hotsy, they’ll come to me for service!!!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Have you ever used one?

The question was asked, “ is it worth the money?” He’s balking at $1300 for bottom of the barrel unit. It sounds to me like he’s on the fence. I was merely trying to keep some cash in his pocket. If my suggestion doesn’t work, he’s not out much and he can go buy one if he wants one. 

4 minutes ago, Binderoid said:

The question was asked, “ is it worth the money?” He’s balking at $1300 for bottom of the barrel unit. It sounds to me like he’s on the fence. I was merely trying to keep some cash in his pocket. If my suggestion doesn’t work, he’s not out much and he can go buy one if he wants one. 

I was only asking if you had used one, i find it hard to imagine anyone who has ever used one saying a cold water unit is “good enough “ or that a hot water unit isn’t worth the money. 

• Like 1

I looked 2 years ago at a hotsy,  it was like 3k for what i wanted... couldnt pull the trigger,  still using the cheap cold water karcher with the 2 foot long hose on it (it seems about that long)   Priced the hotsy again,  now over 6k... felt/feel like a bone head big time.

Found a local guy that makes washers himself,  been in business for about 50 years,  thinking about going that route then he couldnt get motors due to supply,   i really dislike this cheap cold water washer,  but, a HW washer is a HUGE purchase it seems like...  everyone that has them says they are GREAT,  but i dont know anyone that has bought a new one recently,  always hear the stories about the one dad bought 20 years ago still going strong or the cheap deal they got and it needed a new valve or something.

If i buy a used one it will probably burn down is the luck i have with used stuff it seems.

• Like 1

Hotsy used to be a good American company,  but Karcher bought them in 2004 and moved everything to Mexico,  even the soaps changed after 04. It started showing how the cheap labour was junk soon after. The hawk pumps were still made in Italy. 

My father sold hotsy for 35 years untill his death. We used to bring them in on trade and I'd strip them, then fix all the welds and repaint. Sell it to someone with a one year warranty. 

• Like 1

I have an Allied hot water machine 2500psi at 4.5gpm,  the dealer I bought it from started building their own. They have always preached that gallons does more work than pressure- to a point. 

• Like 1

We have a hotsy at work. We have had numerous issues with it over the years. To be fair tho it gets a lot of abuse by some real knuckle heads around here.  

Imo hot water AND a good soap make a difference. Tho a cold water washer is handy and much better than nothing. I too would like a hot water washer but space and budget make it a no go right now. But no way I'd spring for $6000 for one unless I had a business that it was critical for and could write it off on taxes. 

• Like 1