Compound miter saw

vtfireman85

A 10" saw becomes limited on angle cuts. I use 80 and 100 tooth Diablo for fine work. I'm not making cabinets though.

I cut to a pencil mark, don't use the laser much except when following a pencil line on angle cuts that were tracing of an unknown angle - penciled the remains of the old piece not a standard i. e. 45 degrees, etc.

• 1 month later...

So I bought a Bosch, it was 0 back clearance so it had a funky multi-knuckle mechanism that moved about 8 directions every stroke of the saw, it also went up past 90degrees which was very very awkward i felt. Had a hard time with the angle lock and the tilt lock sucked. 
as I ordered from Home Depot i took it back. They were running a special for Black Friday on the Rigid i had been looking at and it came with a stand. 
the Bosch and stand were 840.00 the rigid and stand was 399

• Like 1

I inherited my FIL' Bosch and not a huge fan but it has more capacity for width of cuts than my old Delta which if they were sxs I would pick almost everytime

I bought a Delta. BECAUSE I worked for a different company of the same parent company, and we got about 4 Tool sales a year, like Father's Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, and Black Friday. And it was a great deal. Been a good saw too. Before, I either had the choice of a cheap Black & Decker 7-1/4" power saw or a 10" Black & Decker Radial Arm saw. The Delta is WAY more accurate and safe.

Just got an email early this week that EVOLUTION is putting a new 14" miter saw on sale. Probably is capable of cutting wood, plastic, composite, aluminum, and with the proper blade, steel. Their old 14 inch was intended to cut only steel, angle scales were crude, new saw has much finer scales, more accurate.

• Like 2

VTfireman were you able to put your hands on the Bosch prior to purchase or no?

I have a 10" Menards Masterforce compact slider and I can't get the thing straight to save my life.  I've done some trim work with it but the lack of squareness bugs my OCD.  I see Bosch has a 10" available, but I have not been able to put my hands on one anywhere.

Most everyone I know has a Dewalt slider but the tubes extend far behind.  My interest in the Bosch is due to not needing that extra space behind the saw.

8 minutes ago, 5088 said:

VTfireman were you able to put your hands on the Bosch prior to purchase or no?

I have a 10" Menards Masterforce compact slider and I can't get the thing straight to save my life.  I've done some trim work with it but the lack of squareness bugs my OCD.  I see Bosch has a 10" available, but I have not been able to put my hands on one anywhere.

Most everyone I know has a Dewalt slider but the tubes extend far behind.  My interest in the Bosch is due to not needing that extra space behind the saw.

Rigid has one like that too. I didn’t like the 0 clearance, so many places for slop. If you have the space I would go with a slider. The Bosch is big and heavy, I know a couple folks who have and like them, but I wasn’t impressed.