Compound miter saw

vtfireman85

I am between these 2, any opinions? I would go Milwaukee, but it’s twice the price and i cant justify it. I know the Rigid is a decent tool, no experience with the Dewalt. Only have 2 corded Dewalt  tools, both have been good. 
https://www.dewalt.com/product/dws779/12-double-bevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw?tid=577676

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/15-amp-corded-12-inch-dual-bevel-sliding-miter-saw-with-70-degree-miter-capacity-and-led-cut-line-indicator

7EE90147-C867-4941-A52B-659B123D8BD4.png

706C71FD-CB20-4AEF-BD43-40424A9F6366.png

Dewalt

I'm a big fan of Milwaukee M18 cordless, and also their corded Sawzalls.

That said, I've had my Makita 10" compound miter saw for almost 21 years, have cut miles of baseboard and casing, and chopped tons of studs with it, and have yet to even put brushes in it.  I don't have room in my van for a sliding saw, but if I ever replace this Makita I'll get another just like it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have used a DeWalt compound and sliding compound saw for several years and have had good luck with both.  For the most part one or the other gets used at least a couple days per week.  We have several DeWalt corded tools but no cordless and have been treated well.  Hilti and Milwaukee make up the majority of our cordless fleet.

Whats the price difference? Im too lazy to look it up. I bet the quality isnt a lot different today.. 

My cousin swears by rigid and loves the price...but i notice he replaces his impact a lot? Ive been using a dewalt 20v impact for a few years now, no issues...was a gift. When it goes, back to Milwaukee.

1 hour ago, Twolines said:

Whats the price difference? Im too lazy to look it up. I bet the quality isnt a lot different today.. 

My cousin swears by rigid and loves the price...but i notice he replaces his impact a lot? Ive been using a dewalt 20v impact for a few years now, no issues...was a gift. When it goes, back to Milwaukee.

200 more for dewalt. They have a less expensive model, very little explanation as to what separates them. 

I've had a Ridgid slide saw for years and it's been great and used often. The compound feature is sure helpful when doing trim work, a little back cut on the miters and a block plane makes for perfect corner 90s. I don't think Dewalt was making them back when I bought it. I've several Dewalt corded tools so I would have given it a look or bought it just for the commonality. Find them in the store and decide. I think the only other Ridgid I have is the band saw, which doesn't get used all that often but works well.

Get a good folding rolling stand. I'll look and see which one I bought.

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

I've had a Ridgid slide saw for years and it's been great and used often. The compound feature is sure helpful when doing trim work, a little back cut on the miters and a block plane makes for perfect corner 90s. I don't think Dewalt was making them back when I bought it. I've several Dewalt corded tools so I would have given it a look or bought it just for the commonality. Find them in the store and decide. I think the only other Ridgid I have is the band saw, which doesn't get used all that often but works well.

Get a good folding rolling stand. I'll look and see which one I bought.

The rigid stand is the nicest IMO but also the bulkiest, sold separately so i can still have one either way. 

@vtfireman85 I bought a DeWalt compound sliding mitre saw in 2007 (DW718 I think).  The DeWalt model you listed looks very similar or a replacement version of what I bought.  I don’t use it at a commercial level but it does get used hard when I do use it.  Not a minutes trouble with it so far.  I will sometimes cut aluminum with it.

After agonizing about reviews, most all complaining about the same things on all the different saws i looked at I finally decided i had never been dissatisfied with a Bosch tool, and some of the fussiest carpenters/cabinet makers i know use them. This one had a package deal with free stand. 
https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/miter-saws-gcm12sd-33969-p/

• Like 1

I think the Bosch would be nice, I personally like the Makita's. I feel it does precision work very well and I especially like the way the motor ( at least on mine..) "soft starts" and  the saw does not jump.

Makita 15 Amp 10 in. Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser LS1019L - The Home Depot   Now you have more choices.....😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

After agonizing about reviews, most all complaining about the same things on all the different saws i looked at I finally decided i had never been dissatisfied with a Bosch tool, and some of the fussiest carpenters/cabinet makers i know use them. This one had a package deal with free stand. 

I almost pulled the trigger on this combo last winter. Just couldn't justify the cost for how much it would get used though.

I keep telling myself I'll wait until they finally put a laser light on the Bosch unit before I get one. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

The Stand is a bonus 

I deal with a German crew at work when they come over here they buy Bosch here in the US the price is better

The just pack them in with the job box and no duty :)

4 hours ago, Jesse in WI said:

I almost pulled the trigger on this combo last winter. Just couldn't justify the cost for how much it would get used though.

I keep telling myself I'll wait until they finally put a laser light on the Bosch unit before I get one. 🤷‍♂️

FWIW i have not had great success with laser cut line features. The Rigid for example had to be adjusted, at least every time the blade was adjusted. The Dewalt XPS system uses light to cast a shadow rather than a laser. All of these options seem gimmicky, for me, i do a test cut or 2 in scrap to figure out where i  and carry on without paying attention to the optic aids . 

I got flack from a very persnickety finish carpenter today that 12” saws suffer from blade deflection and I should get a 10”. I see his point and respect his opinion but as I don’t plan to have more than one, and likely wont wear it out, I still think a 12 makes more sense. 

• vtfireman85 changed the title to Compound miter saw

In 2019 I redid our deck with composite decking. I had some rebate money at Menards so I used it to buy a compound miter saw. I decided on a Craftsman that looks almost identical to that Rigid. I didn’t expect much, just wanted to make it through the deck rebuild. It worked flawlessly and I’m shocked how much I’ve used it since.

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

12” saws suffer from blade deflection

Just add stabilizers and you are good to go.  In my opinion, 'blade deflection' equates to.... dull blade or to fast feed rate (or a combo of both). Dull blade causes blade to heat up. 

Tip regarding blade stabilizers: I read this in a trade magazine......a guy used his dull 6" blades as stabilizers for his 12" blade. Makes sense as you rarely go beyond using 2 inches of the 12" blade unless you are cutting 4x4's