Anybody picking (with a picker) corn this fall?

766 Man

The HCOP show in Rantoul IL usually has lots of pickers but it only occurs on odd numbered years. Here is one from a few years ago up there. Those guys talked about it here at the time. ICB cab on an 856.  Odd combo but was really fun to watch  

• Like 4

My neighbor up the road still feeds ear corn to his cows. 

And picks quite a few straight truck loads for others in the area that do the same. 

I think he has a New Idea Uni. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

And picks quite a few straight truck loads for others in the area that do the same. 

Was a few uni setups that sold Saturday reasonably cheap for what they can do per hour. At least one had mud hog 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

From the rear through the back glass. I watched. 

Dang! OK thanks.

Not this old man with my crippled knees and bad back. That is nuts. I’d have to be using a pull type picker so I could still board the tractor normally. Lol 😝 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Not to say that ear corn isn’t good feed, but I am not convinced that it does as much as what some people think it does. 
I think their Uni is one of the more recent ones made. 

Not sure what some people think, but for our farm we could start harvest at least a week or two earlier by going high moisture in a silo and then using cribs we could go sooner than a combine. The cribs we shelled out and used the cobs for bedding the brood sows. It broke harvest up and we did not spend for dryer gas on probably half our crop. With the silo we needed bulk to fill out the ration. So many reasons when you have livestock.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Not to say that ear corn isn’t good feed, but I am not convinced that it does as much as what some people think it does. 
I think their Uni is one of the more recent ones made. 

i am not taking a side either way. 

Plug it into your ration and see what it does for what it costs. 

Some years may be a cheap source of energy some years maybe not. 

Then you have to have a way to feed it. 

Heard of guys taking the beaters off an old turd tosser and feeding it out that way.

I also see Dale every winter with his pickup in first gear scoop shoveling out of a pickup box trailer. 

In my operation, I'll stick with cake and range/hay for now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Heard of guys taking the beaters off an old turd tosser and feeding it out that way.

I also see Dale every winter with his pickup in first gear scoop shoveling out of a pickup box trailer. 

I am a bit gun shy of pickers in general. Dad lost his hand in one when I was 9. Probably wasn’t the pickers fault, but I watch from a distance. 

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I am a bit gun shy of pickers in general. Dad lost his hand in one when I was 9. Probably wasn’t the pickers fault, but I watch from a distance. 

I think in the those days that was a pretty common hazard.

I remember a few farmers that lost hands that way. 

I was young enough when family was still farming in eastern Nebraska to never have run one or been closer than a safe distance away watching. 

7 minutes ago, atuck said:

I've got about 8 acres that we plant in wide rows and play with the pickers every fall.  We will be doing it again this year, not sure on the date yet.  More than welcome to bring a picker and play.

Hey you’re not too far from me!  I don’t have a picker unfortunately. 
Be sure to post up some pics and maybe some video!

• Like 1

I have run a 560D with a mounted 2MH-D picker, even with a little snow in the field. I learned early to never take the hands off of the steering wheel while the machine was running, otherwise you shut it down.  Dad's youngest brother only had a thumb and little finger left on his right hand after his picker accident. We ground the ear corn to feed to dairy stock with some oats mixed into the batch.  Made a decent ration for the Holsteins. Cob and husk provided roughage in the ration.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Shielding was not the best on the 1940's and early 1950's pickers.  Also, running powered farm equipment was not in a fair number of farmers' wheelhouses then.  There were guys who had accidents with forage harvesters and combines during the 1970's.  Even an accident with a grain auger.  Forage blowers scare me as much as anything.  I've heard of terrible things happening when kids get playing nearby.  Also, some farmers straddle the PTO shaft as a short cut to the blower tractor or silo.  A healthy respect for power equipment will keep a person in one piece.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Painful memory there with the turd tosser. One year when I was less than 15 we had a lot of corn that dropped ears when we were chopping with a Uni system(I want to say 30 acres or more, corn was short and we filled two 18x50) and dad was into Parkinson's bad enough he would be off the row for a while before he corrected.  Well we picked up the cobs by hand, walking 4 to 6 rows at a time, probably three 150 bu spreader fulls and possibly a flare wagon full of the cobs. We fed two lots of about 70 hogs in open lots and the brood sow were on an open lot. Just back in and run a bunch off.

I've posted these pictures before but we pick a few hundred ton every year to sell a little and feed a little.  Usually feed it during breed up (fall calving cows) and shovel it out of the pickup while it idles along in 1st gear.

It's a job I look forward to starting but I am real glad when it's over.

20161012_130024.jpg

20161006_152736.jpg

20161006_152651.jpg

• Like 6

I think I’ve seen that @billonthefarm is doing a corn harvesting day this month on his farm or right by it. Sounds like you can bring what you can to harvest the corn. Maybe he will show some pictures after the event? 

2 hours ago, ZG6E said:

I've posted these pictures before but we pick a few hundred ton every year to sell a little and feed a little.  Usually feed it during breed up (fall calving cows) and shovel it out of the pickup while it idles along in 1st gear.

20161012_130024.jpg

20161006_152736.jpg

20161006_152651.jpg

Do you store it in piles like that? Tarp it? Or move it to ear corn cribs?

2 hours ago, ZG6E said:

20161012_130024.jpg

20161006_152736.jpg

20161006_152651.jpg

We used to fork silage down out of the  silo at Grandpa’s and load into the bed of the pickup to bring to where I live now.  One bull liked to help himself over the bedside eating.  As Grandpa was forking silage out onto the ground one day that bull choked and died right on the spot. Speaking of shoveling out the the pickup brought that memory back. Dont let them eat out of the truck bed. 😊