The Engine Crew Was Extremely Lucky

Art From Coleman

• Art From Coleman changed the title to The Engine Crew Was Extremely Lucky
49 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

That the engine did not go into the river

I also cannot believe that erosion is not a problem with undermining the tracks.

I know that safety is overseen but there are some places that I wonder just how safe it is to run a train.  The old Portageville Bridge over the Genesee River had rivets missing out of the supports the last several years it was in operation.  Washouts created by Hurricane Agnes in 1972 were one of the very last nails in the coffin of the Penn Central Railroad.

More or less, a pretty crazy and unfortunate situation that would be near impossible to recreate. You could hardly even do it on purpose. 

If the train was 10 minutes earlier or later, if they had pushed the barges up at just a slightly different angle, or up/down stream by just 20'... it may have been close but not a collision.

If I had been part of the ordeal, I would have gone straight to a convenience store and bought a lotto ticket and would be very shy of lightning storms.

Oh no they spilled some electric car fuel!!

Some serous weight behind a coal train but the barges and tug had the upper hand glad no one was hurt 

I was working at a Cummins plant in Seymore, IN the train track pass right behind the plant.

I was mapping a high precession measuring machine using set of differential levels.

Full scale was set at +/-5 seconds we need 0.2-0.3 repeatability normally not a problem the machine sits on a air vibration isolation system.  

Taking measurements I notice the needle on the display starts go back a fourth a little and then keeps increasing till it was full scale 

Puzzled I ask the QA inspector W-T-F are they doing in the plant !!

He takes me to the back of the plant opens the door the tracks are right there he says look down the tracks sure enough I see the head light off in distance 

He said here comes the daily coal train we can't use any of the measuring equipment this time of day.

Because of the weight of the train there is a "wave" of very low frequency of the ground that precedes it 

I was shocked it was that large of a vibration' never seen anything like that before even breaking concrete with a hammer on an excavator does not come close to that

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Because of the weight of the train there is a "wave" of very low frequency of the ground that precedes it 

You can get something similar if you are standing near where something like a HD 41 is idling by.

A friend's description - "The ants will be holding on to their crockery"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Oh no they spilled some electric car fuel!!

Some serous weight behind a coal train but the barges and tug had the upper hand glad no one was hurt 

I was working at a Cummins plant in Seymore, IN the train track pass right behind the plant.

I was mapping a high precession measuring machine using set of differential levels.

Full scale was set at +/-5 seconds we need 0.2-0.3 repeatability normally not a problem the machine sits on a air vibration isolation system.  

Taking measurements I notice the needle on the display starts go back a fourth a little and then keeps increasing till it was full scale 

Puzzled I ask the QA inspector W-T-F are they doing in the plant !!

He takes me to the back of the plant opens the door the tracks are right there he says look down the tracks sure enough I see the head light off in distance 

He said here comes the daily coal train we can't use any of the measuring equipment this time of day.

I was shocked it was that large of a vibration' never seen anything like that before even breaking concrete with a hammer on an excavator does not come close to that

I imagine that is what happens driving on an ice road (lake) in the far north.

On 9/19/2022 at 1:04 PM, arizonian said:

I imagine that is what happens driving on an ice road (lake) in the far north.

I think so 

The wave of water under the ice hits the bottom near the shore and blows the ice out