Close call

ny bill o

Neighbor brought his 966 and discbine over to cut some of my extra hay for his cows. Toyota pickup following him. Double yellow line. Paul sticks his arm out to make a left turn into the driveway to the field. Starts to turn and guy is right beside him. Caught the side of the truck with the front tractor tire, truck's bumper or something damaged 966 front rim, back axle on truck tore loose. Paul thought the truck was going to roll, but it just ended up going the opposite direction of travel in the other lane. I was taking sweet corn to vegetable stand across from driveway, missed the excitement by about a minute.

We put one of my spares on the 966, but it was really pigeon toed. Probably twisted the spindle. Paul mowed the hay with my 1086.

Nobody hurt. Toyota left on a rollback.

• Sad 5

Dang! Dad got rear ended while driving the 47 M. Was turning into the driveway. Lady hit him just as he was starting to turn. Shot across the driveway into the ditch. He flew right off the apex of the driveway corner. Was about a 3' drop i suppose. He signaled too.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Glad no one got hurt, people need to slow down, no time was saved by the Toyota being pushy, even if a car is stuck behind a tractor for miles, it’s still faster and easier than walking or horse and buggy and having people in your way while in public is normal 

Here’s my recent close call, I put duals on a 98 Chev like many trucks before, I was putting the hoist down and remembered about the severed diff vent line, as I went about repairing that I noticed a fire that I extinguished with an air blow gun quickly, figured it was undercoating at first, that’s somewhat normal, there was a coal/ember that came off the blaze that I didn’t recognize as typical, I didn’t want to use the water hose because the floor was dirty as heck and it would make a mess but figured I’d better soak it, fire extinguisher would make a bigger mess, when I put the truck down and started it gas was leaking bad, it seems a welder spark melted the sending unit 

16177F2C-C903-4673-8917-DFB1A4C4973B.thumb.jpeg.cb454a9b15b633e30391671063e40b57.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

Years ago after finishing a Cummins repower in a White 2-85, I was welding  / repairing cracks in loader frame. Raised helmet to see flames shooting higher than the hood. Turns out a heat shield in front of fuel tank had insulation barrier between tank and shield. Insulation had years of fuel / oily debris in it. Scared me bad, but a couple quick shots with extinguisher took care of it.....took me a bit to get heart rate back to normal. 

Quite a lesson to ALWAYS keeps extinguishers around and in working order. Locally yesterday I heard on scanner a auto shop had an engine compartment fire, on a vehicle in their shop....scary stuff, can happen in a flash.

Neighbor had a similar incident recently. Turning left to go off paved secondary road to head to his house nearby and a car load of kids were following 2nd vehicle back. 1st was guys granddaughter and her husband in a side-by-side also hand signaling. Kids decided they were being waved around and passed just as he turned. Ran into the front axle of a very nice 4020 putting it heading strait up a steep road ditch and the kids ended up in a field.  Nobody seriously hurt tho the 4020 needs some front end parts now.

I had a close one several years ago, was planting beans for a friend of mine with his 7250 and 12/23 955 front fold planter. I was making a left into his driveway and a pickup came around me in the yard and across his driveway then through the ditch back on the road and kept going. I had my blinker on. That guys truck probably needed an alignment after that!

7 hours ago, IHKeith said:

Glad no one got hurt, people need to slow down, no time was saved by the Toyota being pushy, even if a car is stuck behind a tractor for miles, it’s still faster and easier than walking or horse and buggy and having people in your way while in public is normal 

Here’s my recent close call, I put duals on a 98 Chev like many trucks before, I was putting the hoist down and remembered about the severed diff vent line, as I went about repairing that I noticed a fire that I extinguished with an air blow gun quickly, figured it was undercoating at first, that’s somewhat normal, there was a coal/ember that came off the blaze that I didn’t recognize as typical, I didn’t want to use the water hose because the floor was dirty as heck and it would make a mess but figured I’d better soak it, fire extinguisher would make a bigger mess, when I put the truck down and started it gas was leaking bad, it seems a welder spark melted the sending unit 

16177F2C-C903-4673-8917-DFB1A4C4973B.thumb.jpeg.cb454a9b15b633e30391671063e40b57.jpeg

Dang it, that WAS a close call. Glad you caught it.

I have turn signals and 4 really bright randomly flashing yellow LED lights on the rear fenders of my 806. I've come up my road many times and get ready to turn into the drive and people just go right around me when I slow down. More often than not they are on the phone.  Glad no one was hurt!

• Like 2

Had a similar situation this afternoon, bronco 2 with no safety equipment or mirrors was turning across traffic when a Jeep Grand Cherokee passed, clobbered him in the door and went off the road. Nobody hurt but both parties felt the victim. Both vehicles pretty well trashed 

• Sad 1

The summer before harvest a husband and wife moved in down the road. His wife drove a black Tahoe up and down the gravel doing at a minimum 55-60mph every day three or more trips a day. She got the name coined by us pretty quickly, "crazy bit+ch in the black Tahoe". Easy, well remembered, and everyone on our road knew her by said name lol. Well that summer, her m.i.l. rear ended my grandma at the mailbox, luckily no one was injured, and minor damages. Fast forward to the fall harvest, my dad stressed that day, watch out for said lady in the black Tahoe. "She don't know if her (you know what) is punched or bored." Cousin was going down the road with tractor and forage box going to make a left hand turn into the corn field where the big bright yellow New Holland harvester is and four other forage boxes of the same style. Cousin said when he started to make the turn he looked to his left and saw her husband in the passenger seat bracing for impact eyes as big as baseballs screaming for his life. Tahoe went miraculously Infront of the tractor out into the chopped off corn stubble, airborne from the dead furrow on the edge of the field back into the ditch and up on the road. Never even stopped to clean his or her shorts out afterwards. Him and her got evicted that next spring. Some people just have all the fun.

• Haha 1