1020 auger bolt on spikes

cedar farm

A neighbor stopped by this morning. He was looking at my 1020 and made a comment he had some bolt on spikes that made it like a full finger auger. Seams I seen them maybe in Farm Sow magazine at one time. Anyone use them and know who makes them?

3 minutes ago, hippy5488 said:

i put the plastic ones on about 10 years ago they made a big difference in feeding tough crops

Do you remember who sells them? My neighbor said they work great as well. His were on the head when he bought it so he didn't know either.

I have a JD 920 header.   I had to have the auger pulled to repair damage.   The guy who rebuilt it, has been rebuilding the crossaugers for years.   I inquired about installing full fingers while I had the auger out.   He was able to do so, but told me "To be fair, the full finger really does not do all that much - you may think you wasted your money".

Got the auger back, new full fingers, and he had squared up the auger to get rid of the rounded off front edge.    10  minutes in the field and I saw exactly what he meant.    The full fingers just kinda came around and stuck out there but really did not grab much.   The newly squared auger, on the other hand, just sucked beans in.   As soon as the plants touched the auger, they caught and sucked in and across instead of sliding off and laying there.   HUGE difference.    Several years later, the auger is starting to lose that sharp front edge, and beans are bunching more again.

So I'd suggest step 1, grab a angle grinder & square up your auger flighting.   Then try the bolt on fingers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cedar farm said:

Do you remember who sells them? My neighbor said they work great as well. His were on the head when he bought it so he didn't know either.

I found these advertised through Sloan. Named Grain Grabber 2.

web-726018-a.jpg

three-grabbers-on-auger.jpg

1 hour ago, Reichow7120 said:

web-726018-a.jpg

These are what I have on my 1020 head.  Not the same as a full finger, but better than nothing at all.

2 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

web-726018-a.jpg

Thats it! Thanks

3 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

web-726018-a.jpg

Shoup has them too. I have thought about putting them on mine but haven't yet. I 'sharpened' the flighting last fall, it helped but think it needs some more.

6 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

I have a JD 920 header.   I had to have the auger pulled to repair damage.   The guy who rebuilt it, has been rebuilding the crossaugers for years.   I inquired about installing full fingers while I had the auger out.   He was able to do so, but told me "To be fair, the full finger really does not do all that much - you may think you wasted your money".

Got the auger back, new full fingers, and he had squared up the auger to get rid of the rounded off front edge.    10  minutes in the field and I saw exactly what he meant.    The full fingers just kinda came around and stuck out there but really did not grab much.   The newly squared auger, on the other hand, just sucked beans in.   As soon as the plants touched the auger, they caught and sucked in and across instead of sliding off and laying there.   HUGE difference.    Several years later, the auger is starting to lose that sharp front edge, and beans are bunching more again.

So I'd suggest step 1, grab a angle grinder & square up your auger flighting.   Then try the bolt on fingers.

I have to disagree with you, my first 1020 I thought fed alright until I got one with full finger.  My auger broke last fall and I used a standard one for the last 20 acres and I remembered really quickly why I liked the full finger heads.  If I combine going down hill the beans will ride there without coming in then a bunch goes in.  The 1020 still fed better then the old John Deere head I started with.

9 hours ago, Michigan No Till said:

Poly sheets under the auger and poly feed plates to replace the stock steel.

These three will transform your old Red Head!

Bet that would help, a lot! Looked them up in Shoup, not happening this year.

Those bolt on fingers things are a joke , I updated headers years ago to full finger retractable fingers and that  made a difference of day and night

DT Fan, Poly Tech in Georgia is the place to buy for all your poly needs.

Great product the Ladies in customer service are awesome.

Buy direct from the manufacturer.

See thru pipe reel from CFC Distributors with poly fingers made a huge improvement too, also got the Carry King Kut cutter bar kit from them.

Barter with both these companies and they will cut you a deal!

Moved the auger forward and down to the poly auger bed, forget about those stripper plates in the back and buy a couple bulk packs of Metabo grinder disks get your safety glasses and leather gloves on put a very sharp edge on that auger.

Much more in the header manual read it and go through adjustment.

My cutter bar is so floppy loose it will hop over most any rock or chuck den and shaves tight to the ground.

1020 is a great head, but most got ran into the ground till the owners said it's a junk design.

Same owners that never opened the 35 dollar book from IH to see what there really all about.

And a 1020 is a different animal than the green no comparison.

On 9/20/2022 at 1:52 AM, Fred B said:

Try taking 5/8 lock washers and tap them on the auger  flights, about every 14 inches, I have found it will move heads in milo.

I did this to my problem child 820 and it helped.  Upgraded to a 1020 this year and have high hopes for smoother feeding beans.

Lock wishers, misspelled on purpose, they wrap and knock the beaners out of the pods more than anything, took them off the first green combine head 15 foot, 215 that were in place when I bought the head.

Ran the Deere one year, next year took them off and reshaped and sharpened the auger, gets touched up every year now.

This is a long process if the flighting is rounded over, make the leading edge higher than the trailing edge.

Danger wear safety glasses and leather gloves!

Don't buy cheap disk's they wear out quick and can blow up!

My new to me 1440 and 20' 1020 eats beans, that was like 5 harvests back, it was ho hum when we first started up grading and fixing her back to like new.

It's a 79 cable operated AHC, with a Cary King Kut complete kit.

Not bragging, but what's been done works and can't afford anything that might be better.

• Like 1