Farmall Super AV Rear Wheel

Mr. Paul

On 9/14/2022 at 1:51 PM, Mr. Paul said:

The rear cast iron wheels on the Super Farmall AV are reversible and I need to reverse mine.  They are stuck.  Has anyone every had the same problem removing them and what did you do?  I need some help with this.

Haven't had the experience on this model. It is my understanding only the right wheel is cast. If they both are. It just shows how little I know. Method that has worked on others. Is to back the bolts out a couple turns. Drive with wheel on downhill side (road ditch comes to mind) while aggressively stomping that brake pedal. Don't overheat brake.

We had an issue with taking a wheel of a 460. Loosen up the bolts up oiled it up the axle. Drove it about 100 feet or so. Doing tractor donuts! Then finally put a little heat to it.  Got loose enough to slide off the rest of the way. Besides the amount of dirt and rust between the wheel and the axle it had about an 1/8 inch of paint on it!

Looking back it would have been easier with just applying the heat. But I wanted to drive it! I was a teenager then!

Thanks for the responses.  I believe snowshoe is correct, the hub wheel needs to rotate on the axle hub for it to loosen up.  Six 3/4 inch bolts hold the hub wheel onto the axle face plate.  The axle face plate has a 3 inch diameter spud that fits 1-1/4 inches into the hub wheel and centers it on the axle.  This is where it's stuck.  The complete wheel hub, rim, and tire assembly is over 4 feet in diameter.  By rotating the wheel from its outside diameter the leverage on spud will produce great mechanical advantage.  With all that said, my plan is jack up the tractor keeping the opposite wheel firmly on the ground, remove all the hub wheel bolts, put the transmission in its lowest gear, lock the breaks, and rock the wheel assembly back and forth until it frees up.  Hopefully my plan will work.  I haven't done it yet and I'm still open to suggestions.  Thanks