Filled the silo today

Farmerboy72

11 hours ago, bitty said:

We bought a new NH 40 1000 rpm blower in 87 and it was a beast compared to the 28 and 30 models made along side of it 

NH 40 is a good blower. But the number of good 40s left out there seems to be getting smaller. Most of the ones I've been around have their own unique rythym or rattle to them. 

Fieldine is sort of it on steroids and twice as heavy duty. Makes a 600 look pretty silly pretty easily. 

I really like it's auto water shutoff for chopping rye and haylage. Some places a 600 is nice to have a few couple extra inches of width behind the blower tractor depending on guys setups.    The 1000 shaft opens up a lot more tractor options with higher hp. For good throughput on a custom scale a 66 or 86 doesn't cut it. Or if it does it will break sooner or later. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Farmerboy72 said:

Tried some hi moisture corn today. Little to wet yet. Unload these, and then wait till next weekend 

IMG_20221001_153200383_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221001_153203837_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221001_153206678_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221001_153213412_HDR.jpg

I know I've seen it on here before but I like the pattern on those silo staves, very unique.

1 hour ago, Farmerboy72 said:

Tried some hi moisture corn today. Little to wet yet. Unload these, and then wait till next weekend 

IMG_20221001_153200383_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221001_153203837_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221001_153206678_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221001_153213412_HDR.jpg

What was it running in moisture?

35 minutes ago, Farmerboy72 said:

33-35 % . If it can get below 30, I will run

Keep in mind, it is 114 day corn, planted two weeks later than usual, and had fungicide applied. 

10 hours ago, stronger800 said:

What type of silos are those? I’ve never seen one like them 

Superior silos. They were a local company around here forty years ago

3 hours ago, stronger800 said:

What part of the country are you in? I googled superior silo, and it came up as a current concrete silo business in PA. 

West central ohio. Coldwater ohio is where they were located. They have been out of business well before the internet came about!

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

We have Harder and Madison, they  were the common block silos  around here in NY….way before the internet and before me too 

Trying to remember what ours is.  It was built during the early 1960's and the company was based in the area.  Empire?  I have to take a look.  I thought that there was a tag at one time on one of the hoops.

Corn silage time, was my favorite time of year. 
Some years, if lots of rain we needed the big tractors to pull the wagons from the field which meant putting the 400, or the Super M on the blower. Wide open throttle, giving that blower all the old girls could handle, no problem on the small silos, but when it was time for the 60+ ft Harvestores, we would need grab at least an 826 for blower duty.

Then it was my job to start fall plowing, start with the cleared off fields  scheduled for oats in the spring. Then keep plowing till the ground froze. Remember more than once having snow on the ground before the ground froze, just keep plowing as long as you have traction.

• Like 1

Half done with ours today, should finish tomorrow barring bad luck. Have two neighbors to help at after we get done