Filled the silo today

Farmerboy72

Brings back memories from years ago.  Our silo wasn’t full until the unloader was covered, then we hat to dig the silage off the unloader so the silage settling didn’t pull it down. A lot of work for another wagon load up there.  Any better pics of the unloader?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Roy S said:

Brings back memories from years ago.  Our silo wasn’t full until the unloader was covered, then we hat to dig the silage off the unloader so the silage settling didn’t pull it down. A lot of work for another wagon load up there.  Any better pics of the unloader?

If you look at the second pic, you can see the bottom of the augers. I bring the unloader all the way up to the tripod, so it cannot get buried. If I think about it early next week, I will get a few pics for you when we refill. 

As much as I despised the upright silos I always enjoyed filling them. When we ran two gehl pull types we could fill a 20x60 in a good working day, of course it would settle quite a bit overnight and we would get a dozen loads up there the next day.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Augers look like Clay? (We always had clay’s, i’m sure others look similar. Vandal maybe?)   We filled 4 for 40 years.  Same as you, unloader right to the roof.  Let it settle. Stomp it down. Shoot a wetter load on top. Repeat. Looks like a good pattern to your piles. 

Van Dale unloader is correct

Those pictures bring back memories. Thanks for sharing. That was about my favorite job of the year filling silo as far back as I can remember. However, don't miss it anymore, especially when looking down at the ground. Lol! We had a set-up like that in the picture. That bottom green part in the picture bolted on the blower. That was old. Was on a Fox blower in the early 70s and went on the IH 56 when it was bought new in '79. Had a motor on it and plug it in and it rotated the pipe side to side and if you look closely, there's a arm on it. A chain hooked on the arm and ran all the way up to the distributor. If you look at the distributor picture you can see it's made for it to move in and out. While the pipe was rotating it went in and out with the movement of the arm on the outfit that's on the blower. We liked that set-up and used that for over 45 years. Got the silo fairy level while filling. When she started blowing silage out the hole in the roof where the distributor was you better be with the program and shut everything down otherwise you'd have a plugged pipe. Lol! Anyway, when it got full like that, figure 6 more loads will go in, then loosen up the drive for the outfit on the blower and someone got to crawl up the outside to the top of the silo and manually turn the pipe and operate the part of the distributor and adjust how close or far you wanted the silage to throw while filling. You could get the silage pretty close to level that way.  Was little forking to do. We always raised the unloader right up to the tripod far as it would go. Then put a piece of black tape on the cable and make a mark on the silo and keep a eye on it by the blower tractor every load. Dad knew someone who's cable let go while filling and buried his unloader. Luckily it was only buried 6', but 6' too much! image.png.fc7c95709ef24f58a92eb61f9ad660c3.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

Those pictures bring back memories. Thanks for sharing. That was about my favorite job of the year filling silo as far back as I can remember. However, don't miss it anymore, especially when looking down at the ground. Lol! We had a set-up like that in the picture. That bottom green part in the picture bolted on the blower. That was old. Was on a Fox blower in the early 70s and went on the IH 56 when it was bought new in '79. Had a motor on it and plug it in and it rotated the pipe side to side and if you look closely, there's a arm on it. A chain hooked on the arm and ran all the way up to the distributor. If you look at the distributor picture you can see it's made for it to move in and out. While the pipe was rotating it went in and out with the movement of the arm on the outfit that's on the blower. We liked that set-up and used that for over 45 years. Got the silo fairy level while filling. When she started blowing silage out the hole in the roof where the distributor was you better be with the program and shut everything down otherwise you'd have a plugged pipe. Lol! Anyway, when it got full like that, figure 6 more loads will go in, then loosen up the drive for the outfit on the blower and someone got to crawl up the outside to the top of the silo and manually turn the pipe and operate the part of the distributor and adjust how close or far you wanted the silage to throw while filling. You could get the silage pretty close to level that way.  Was little forking to do. We always raised the unloader right up to the tripod far as it would go. Then put a piece of black tape on the cable and make a mark on the silo and keep a eye on it by the blower tractor every load. Dad knew someone who's cable let go while filling and buried his unloader. Luckily it was only buried 6', but 6' too much! image.png.fc7c95709ef24f58a92eb61f9ad660c3.png

Most of our silos had that style distributor, we just didn't have the power unit at the blower. The badger ones were nice to use and you could put the forage pretty much where ever you needed it.

• Like 1

I’ve heard of those power unit distributors, never seen one.  We just pulled the lever, one load up, one down.  Maybe moved the shoot deflector at the top left or right a few times, when you were right near the top.  We filled 65’ with 65-90hp on the blower for a long time, but when we started getting extra 1066’s (and turned the fuel screws) I learned that 140-160hp made the same blower put a more even pattern in the silo.  Blowing corn was also easy.  Blowing grass….that took more power and more paying attention 

• Like 1

Plugged a few pipes around here on silos with the power distributor. Only constant we could come up with was they wouldn't keep up to the volume the Fieldline blowers would put up the pipe. A 600 style blower and ok tractor it seemed fine but a tight 600 and some hp was about enough and then the Fieldline and enough hp led to plugging it right at the power distributor and finding the weakest part of old brittle plastic pipes.            Silo filling is my favorite time of year.

20220905_124903.thumb.jpg.f5ab6ff43f4bbf716f7c26b78ba260a5.jpg

• Like 5

I've never witnessed one in action but I heard those field line blowers are the real deal. Even more so than when the 600 came out.

24 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I've never witnessed one in action but I heard those field line blowers are the real deal. Even more so than when the 600 came out.

I remember when we borrowed the neighbors 600 and man i thought that was the stuff... We are still filling our 90' harvestore with a 100 Case blower on the 1206.

Chopping clover right now.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

They are the best I've been around. I'd love to try a big auger 1000rpm dion type but it would take a monster of a tractor to utilize it from what I've seen of a 1000 shaft 600 type blower use.  The fieldline has been the most power efficient blower I've seen. Used one on a power unit, I'm unsure of the hp, but was down to sweeping my cart out in about 3 minutes,  15ish tons up the pipe. Extremely impressive.    But it will sure jam a pipe full! 

200hp makes it work well. 150 or 70 is just ok. More the better. Still better then a 600 with 150 or 60 I think. Feeds smoother, doesn't bridge easily. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 8:29 PM, Roy S said:

Topped it off today, some better pics of the unloader as requested.

IMG_20220913_173239514.jpg

IMG_20220913_162322799_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220913_173957010.jpg

IMG_20220913_173232301_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220913_173949821.jpg

IMG_20220913_180510136.jpg

• Like 2

Filled ours Saturday and Monday. 

Normally we could do it in a day easily. But about 2/3 of Saturday turned into a train wreck keeping stuff going. Broke the chopper twice, then Broke 2 silage wagons. All before 2 in the afternoon. Finally got going about 3 Saturday. Rained Sunday but dried off enough Monday to finish the first fill. Refilled yesterday and again this morning and will probably call it good. 

20220912_105937.jpg

20220912_105943.jpg

20220912_114942.jpg

20220912_114949.jpg

20220912_114946.jpg

20220912_143534.jpg

20220914_093135.jpg

20220914_092449.jpg

• Like 4

Never heard of a Fieldline blower. Took a look... Tiny drum. I'm surprised they work well. New Holland had a small drum 1000RPM blower at one time and from what I heard it was pretty worthless. A 27/28 style blower could outperform it and the IH 600 made it look silly.

I think the last load of corn silage I unloaded the fall before Dad died ended in me plugging the blower, first time I think since 1987. End on a high note I guess.

Just seeing these pictures is giving me anxiety, though... To say that I don't miss the process is an understatement.

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Never heard of a Fieldline blower. Took a look... Tiny drum. I'm surprised they work well. New Holland had a small drum 1000RPM blower at one time and from what I heard it was pretty worthless. A 27/28 style blower could outperform it and the IH 600 made it look silly.

I think the last load of corn silage I unloaded the fall before Dad died ended in me plugging the blower, first time I think since 1987. End on a high note I guess.

Just seeing these pictures is giving me anxiety, though... To say that I don't miss the process is an understatement.

Never saw a 27 or 28 around where I am.  A lot of 56 blowers and by the time the 600 was a big deal everybody had left the dairy business.  The Mennonites seem to be replacing their 600's with Fieldline's.  I don't know if it is a matter of one part of the community supporting another part or what.  There has not been for a few years a pull behind chopper made here in the US.  But if the dynamics change where there is not a Claas ready and waiting to work for pennies above cost per hour I expect the Mennonites to dust off the NH 790 or JD 3955 to manufacture.

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

We bought a new NH 40 1000 rpm blower in 87 and it was a beast compared to the 28 and 30 models made along side of it 

3 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Filled ours Saturday and Monday. 

Normally we could do it in a day easily. But about 2/3 of Saturday turned into a train wreck keeping stuff going. Broke the chopper twice, then Broke 2 silage wagons. All before 2 in the afternoon. Finally got going about 3 Saturday. Rained Sunday but dried off enough Monday to finish the first fill. Refilled yesterday and again this morning and will probably call it good. 

20220912_105937.jpg

20220912_105943.jpg

20220912_114942.jpg

20220912_114949.jpg

20220912_114946.jpg

20220912_143534.jpg

20220914_093135.jpg

20220914_092449.jpg

We’ve got the same chopper and head as you.  Sure do like the kemper head!