Heavy weight oil instead of Hy-tran in final drives

cedar farm

I was wondering if anyone has used 80-90 in axial flow final drives/transmission instead of Hy-tran? At the dealership we fixed a lot of IH final drives. I always thought with the final drives slow speed hytran was to light to follow up the gears. All other combine mfg's used a heavy weight oil.

16 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

I was wondering if anyone has used 80-90 in axial flow final drives/transmission instead of Hy-tran? At the dealership we fixed a lot of IH final drives. I always thought with the final drives slow speed hytran was to light to follow up the gears. All other combine mfg's used a heavy weight oil.

I always wondered about that too all our deeres use 80-90w gear lube I don't see why it wouldn't work in IH finals that had Hytran

1 minute ago, supermpuller said:

In a old M but from 560 on a bad idea

I know you can't on the 560's or anything with intergral hydraulic systems I use 80-90w in my super M still

29 minutes ago, supermpuller said:

In a old M but from 560 on a bad idea

I realize with a hydraulic system 80-90 would be a problem. 

IH has flip flopped back and forth on it. I think the 14 series book calls for hytran. They maybe the 16 series said 80-90. Then they went back to hytran. Reason was it was easier to stock just 1 oil for the entire machine. I myself have ran 80-90 in the finals on my 1480. The 1688 will most likely get 80-90 at some point as well. 

Everything from the 25xx series on back for Axial-Flows called for Hy-Tran in the final drives and transmission as far as I know. Starting with the 7088s on up they have called for 80w-90 in the final drives....Flagships have specified 80W-90 since day one. Have seen guys use gear lube in the older AFs, don't think it hurts anything. They only time I ever saw gear lube in the final drives cause a problem was on a very cold morning years ago. The guy thought he had a locked up final drive on a 1460....one side wouldn't turn. The seal area looked good, and the wheel looked straight so I didn't think he had any bearing problems. I went to drain the oil out of the drain plug.....no oil came out. Cracked the fill/full level plug and had gear lube there. Took a screwdriver to the drain plug....and found my problem quickly. There was so much water in the final drive that the drain plug was covered in ice....wouldn't let the gear lube out. Can't blame it on the gear lube....just poor maintenance and years of condensation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SDman said:

Everything from the 25xx series on back for Axial-Flows called for Hy-Tran in the final drives and transmission as far as I know. Starting with the 7088s on up they have called for 80w-90 in the final drives....Flagships have specified 80W-90 since day one. Have seen guys use gear lube in the older AFs, don't think it hurts anything. They only time I ever saw gear lube in the final drives cause a problem was on a very cold morning years ago. The guy thought he had a locked up final drive on a 1460....one side wouldn't turn. The seal area looked good, and the wheel looked straight so I didn't think he had any bearing problems. I went to drain the oil out of the drain plug.....no oil came out. Cracked the fill/full level plug and had gear lube there. Took a screwdriver to the drain plug....and found my problem quickly. There was so much water in the final drive that the drain plug was covered in ice....wouldn't let the gear lube out. Can't blame it on the gear lube....just poor maintenance and years of condensation.

Dads and our first experience with a bad final drive was around 1982 on his 79 1460. They were at his home farm 35 miles away. They noticed final drive leaking a bit before. So they topped up oil everyday. They were running it back home with 20 ft straight header on. Final drive locked up on the road about 25 miles from home. After that one had a bunch of money spent on it. I think each final drive was rebuilt 2 times more in combines life. Every time oil leak noticed on rime. Stop and fix drive. Every time that huge wheel side bearing was pitting and flaking. Dad ran 80 90 in the drives since the 82 rebuild.  

It will be just fine , I have been putting it in them for years , it won’t hurt a thing .

Danny 

We had a silage cutter main gearbox that we could not keep bearings in.

It would get hot and just cook the seals/bearings.

Went to synthetic 80-90 and the problem went away.

Friction was causing the heat that took the bearings out.

6 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

We had a silage cutter main gearbox that we could not keep bearings in.

It would get hot and just cook the seals/bearings.

Went to synthetic 80-90 and the problem went away.

Friction was causing the heat that took the bearings out.

Synthetic gear oil is very good. On the nv 4500 transmission dodge and Chevy used. The syn gear oil required was only dealer available the first 4 or 5 years. This was way before amazon or google also. That oil was 80 dollars a quart at dealers. People would mix in 70 /90 but they would ruin the synchro fabric from the friction. Would have been way better to put 30 wt engine oil in or even hytran. Now that synthetic  oil is down to 5 dollars or so a qt

Never thought of synthetic oil. May be the best. Has any one tried EPO grease(corn head/disc mower) in the unloading auger elbow? On the New Holland hay rakes and unloader elbow gearbox they used gun grease which just sticks to the outer casing. At the dealership we went to New Idea EPO grease which falls somewhere between 80-90 and gun grease. Worked really well.

Keep in mind synthetic oil won’t leave an oil film on anything above oil level and it will rust .I would just run straight 80-90 👍

Danny