Gave Allis a little exercise

vtfireman85

Large dead birch on the driveway was making me nervous. I decided to take it down, Allis was hooked to the 4’ splitter, so I used it. Pain in the neck doing 19” wood with but was handy and ready to go.  That terrible 6V system took a whole half revolution to fire after a 5-6 month hiatus, definitely thinking about going to a 48v starting system 🙄

04D01AFC-F43F-45C8-912C-420EFABDA66D.jpeg

DAD277E7-58A1-4769-9977-0EC72CBFFAC9.jpeg

• Like 7

Do you actually have a use for 4' wood?

Fabricate a bolt on/clamp on wedge to shorten the cycle time.

Yeah, with the engine in tune and no accessories to run there's nothing wrong with a 6 volt system. A friend of mine who just aged out of Delta has the same model 182. just a year older and 12 volt. The next year Cessna went to 24 volt, still with a 60 amp alternator effectively doubling the available power. He went with LED lights all around as with only 60 amps it was marginal with everything on.

7 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Do you actually have a use for 4' wood?

Fabricate a bolt on/clamp on wedge to shorten the cycle time.

It needs 2 holes drilled and couple bolts as stops if i were to use it for short wood very often, but I don’t. The Dittier push block is pretty cheesy and pretty worn out, I intend to replace it. We burn 4’ wood in the 5x14 King evaporator. I actually shoot for 42”, 36 is too short to get a good full boil burn with and 48” can be a PITA if you get a gnarly piece or some chunky coals built up at the back of the fire box. 
my FIL likes a mix of hardwood and soft, I prefer soft. A 5x14 arch holds a lot of heat, boiling in the last of the tank can get a little nerve racking if you misjudge and fire once too often with hardwood. We run 1 1/4 deep on the front pan and flood at night to about 4”have come back to 1” in the pan . A sticky mess in the front is bad enough in waste, but a dry back pan (or front) can mean melted solder joints and a ruined pan. 

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

It needs 2 holes drilled and couple bolts as stops if i were to use it for short wood very often, but I don’t. The Dittier push block is pretty cheesy and pretty worn out, I intend to replace it. We burn 4’ wood in the 5x14 King evaporator. I actually shoot for 42”, 36 is too short to get a good full boil burn with and 48” can be a PITA if you get a gnarly piece or some chunky coals built up at the back of the fire box. 
my FIL likes a mix of hardwood and soft, I prefer soft. A 5x14 arch holds a lot of heat, boiling in the last of the tank can get a little nerve racking if you misjudge and fire once too often with hardwood. We run 1 1/4 deep on the front pan and flood at night to about 4”have come back to 1” in the pan . A sticky mess in the front is bad enough in waste, but a dry back pan (or front) can mean melted solder joints and a ruined pan. 

I forgot you were doing maple.

Love the ARPS tracks. I have a set on a WD. They sure draw looks at shows.

Resized_20220715_191436 (1).jpeg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, cedar farm said:

Love the ARPS tracks. I have a set on a WD. They sure draw looks at shows.

Resized_20220715_191436 (1).jpeg

That’s awesome! Those tracks are indispensable in the sugar woods. How does it do with the NF? 

1 hour ago, DT Fan said:

You should take that to Albert City for the gathering of the Orange next summer!

I really want to attend one of those, like RPRU, they are a long drive at a busy time

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

I really want to attend one of those, like RPRU, they are a long drive at a busy time

There is one the 15th through the 18th of this month in Maryland. May never be one closer.

Edit; I should add that there is also a GOTO in Clay Center Nebraska this weekend. I would probably attend this one but tractor riding this weekend.

20 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

That’s awesome! Those tracks are indispensable in the sugar woods. How does it do with the NF? 

It steers like normal. When set correct the front of the track is just off the ground. Albert City is only 90 miles away. That would be fun.

51 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

It steers like normal. When set correct the front of the track is just off the ground. Albert City is only 90 miles away. That would be fun.

After visiting the Widland's this year I'm REALLY looking forward to Albert City next year!!! Only downside, it's the week after our local show. May be tired of dragging tractors around then. Guess time will tell.