Farmall Cub - Look at buying 1

BartVD

Good morning,

Saturday I've been looking at a Cub for buying it.

I'm not familiar with them, as living in Belgium we are more into German Internationals.

I'd like to know if it's a French or US build Cub.

Any idea how I can see the difference?

It has a grill like on the photo.

The serial number is unreadable, as it's sandblasted.

Any idea where the stamped serial number is located?

I have found the engine serail number.

Also found 2 tags with, I think, date codes : 12 21 1 (or 7) is this 21 december of 1951 / 1957?

It's a 6 Volt, engine rebuild but does not start well.

Any info about them is welcome.

IHS073.jpg

I bought a Cub a month ago, neighbor had gotten it for free but it ran terrible, he wanted the cost of new battery, one front tire and a new carburetor. Tractor had a Woods belly mower and IH snow plow. Best money I’ve ever spent on a tractor.

If the price fits your budget and you understand 1940’s engine technology, buy it!

I can’t tell you if it is French built or USA; the picture of the grill you posted is the same grill as on mine (1949) but the picture is upside down.

If the tractor starts but runs poorly it has to be either fuel or ignition; is it battery ignition or magneto? There are several common carburetor problems, a warped mating surface between the float bowl is one that can be fixed but a replacement carburetor is the easiest (on mine I went back to the original carburetor).

There is a lot of parts support here in the US, shipping to Belgium will add some cost but you should be able to get what you need.

52 minutes ago, BartVD said:

I bought the Cub.

Here some photos.

On the engine I can read : FCUBM127849.

Is this the engine serial number or the tractor serial number?

20220910_191109_resized.jpg

20220910_191115_resized.jpg

20220910_191244_resized.jpg

20220910_191350_resized.jpg

That's the engine serial number. Don't recall if the tractor number is supposed to match it or not. Also, looking at the back wheels, you have the high crop or high clearance version of the Cub. That's a very nice find!!

Regards & good luck on your restoration!

Mike

The SN Plate is on the right side, attached to the steering gear housing. The SN's don't usually match. FarmallCub.com has a link to PDF's of manuals, as well as a gold mine of info on these tractors. I'm not familiar with the differences between the US and French versions, but there are people on that forum that are.

John

On 9/5/2022 at 8:32 AM, BartVD said:

Good morning,

Saturday I've been looking at a Cub for buying it.

I'm not familiar with them, as living in Belgium we are more into German Internationals.

I'd like to know if it's a French or US build Cub.

Any idea how I can see the difference?

It has a grill like on the photo.

The serial number is unreadable, as it's sandblasted.

Any idea where the stamped serial number is located?

I have found the engine serail number.

Also found 2 tags with, I think, date codes : 12 21 1 (or 7) is this 21 december of 1951 / 1957?

It's a 6 Volt, engine rebuild but does not start well.

Any info about them is welcome.

US Louisville CUB

The "1" or "7" you are thinking in the date codes is actually a "T"

Those castings were produced in late December 1950, which means they were probably assembled in early 1951, making your tractor a 1951 model.

Take good care of those 30" tires. New ones are expensive, and "good used" are impossible to find in that size, and that's in the United States. In Belgium, I'd imagine you'd have to have them shipped in from overseas... Worst case you can convert the rear tires back to stock 8.3x24 size which are much more common here, and hopefully in Belgium too.

• Like 1

Pto runs ccw so got to have dedicated cub implements off pto ,nice tractor 

• Like 1

Nice little unique Cub you’ve found. I enjoy my ‘49. 

6v usually does well, if the wiring harness and cables are in good shape. I replaced mine with new reproduction harness and cables, but after fighting poor quality 6v batteries for a few years, I gave in and changed mine to 12v. I kept the magneto ignition though.