Supper

ky966boy

17 minutes ago, littlered166 said:

way to go..!!!!!!! I wish I had a good mess of squirrel fried up with some fried potatoes and fresh greens. YUM!!!!!!

That’s all we got really to hot but she wanted to go she’s going to cook it .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nomorejohndeere said:

When I was in junior high I took a fried squirrel for lunch one day.  It was complete with the head.

Eating the brain did not impress the girls as I had imagined it would....

And its been all downhill from there? Explains a lot actually..

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

When I was in junior high I took a fried squirrel for lunch one day.  It was complete with the head.

Eating the brain did not impress the girls as I had imagined it would....

My dad was adamant about us rib shooting our squirrels, he loved the brains and the tongue,i never acquired that love. We always have some local squirrels but every so often the travelers come through,[they were referred too as Arkansas travelers, no offense Ace] they are all gray squirrels and there will be hundreds upon hundreds of them.

2 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

My dad was adamant about us rib shooting our squirrels, he loved the brains and the tongue,i never acquired that love. We always have some local squirrels but every so often the travelers come through,[they were referred too as Arkansas travelers, no offense Ace] they are all gray squirrels and there will be hundreds upon hundreds of them.

Could you expand on “travelers”?  
Is this like a migration, or maybe a periodic explosion of the local population?   How often does this happen?

Thanks, Brian.

On 9/3/2022 at 5:36 PM, ky966boy said:

That’s all we got really to hot but she wanted to go she’s going to cook it .

50 years ago I hunted squirrels in the summer.  Season opened in June, and my uncle had some really good hardwood timber next to river bottom.  I could bring in 5 or 6 big fox squirrels every time with .22 LR hollow points (head shots only).

Not interested in doing it any more since the ticks have gotten so bad.

21 minutes ago, E160BHM said:

Could you expand on “travelers”?  
Is this like a migration, or maybe a periodic explosion of the local population?   How often does this happen?

Thanks, Brian.

I am not sure where they come from, i've always heard them called "Arkansas travelers" . The last time i saw it was about six years ago ,they were thick, my buddy has some ground near Meramec Caverns and they were everywhere , all on the ground, not in the trees like normal. The limit in Missouri is 10 Squirrels a day,you could get your limit in 10-15 minutes easily. We made 3 trips with a bunch of guys in several days, and took our limit every time,I think we took around 175 or 180 total in those three trips.We went once more and they had vanished. I guess they ate everything in sight and moved on.

An older fellow that i used to hunt with talked about squirrels by the 1000's crossing the Missouri river when he was a kid. He said so many drowned that the banks were lined with dead squirrels.

• Like 2

You guys have to tell me how to cook them so they're not hard rubber. I dressed and saved a bunch of them, was really looking forward to it. I battered and fried them according to a recipe I found, but they were not edible.