Trusting The Light

Wisconsin Ron

After owning some 80s and 90s water cooled vws, i prefer a manual guage. Ill add that i had a 76 blazer. It had a no name manual guage and it was all over the place...had me worried. I picked up a name brand unit(forget which now) and it evened right out. Get what u pay for i guess?

Won’t find one without a mechanical gauge here.  Standard procedure to watch the needle rise after cranking.  I try to mount them where they are easier to see, (without drilling holes)  run copper line as required. T into the sensors, so the lights still works too B114335F-3F35-4517-AFFF-E794CAC025AF.thumb.jpeg.4200572d45b2579be04cfe6eb6e2090e.jpeg

• Like 4

I installed a mechanical 2 5/8" AutoMeter oil pressure gauge, coming off the block with a Weatherford style brass "T" (to allow the continued use of the factory 'idiot' light)  and used one, or two, small diameter, highly flexible grease gun hoses to reach where I had placed the bracket.

I wish I could have found a gauge with a larger diameter face, AND a red warning light, that would have illuminated when the oil pressure dropped below a certain point (5-10 psi).  Much like a Murphy gauge, without the switch.

In the early 50's, when introduced, most vehicle knowledgeable people people referred to them as idiot lights.  I still do! In my latest vehicle there is not a single mechanical gauge in it, but a handful of idiot lights and a multi-function lcd screen.