4 people died in a wheat field near Leeds ND

dale560

Sheriffs deputy’s responded to a call yesterday and found 4 people deceased. Apparently a uncle nephew and two hired men were killed in a murder suicide. That is pretty unheard of up here. They haven’t released many details yet. Towner county nd deaths if you google it. Leeds ND is about 30 miles east

• Sad 9

Wow....looks like the farmer/owner of the operation was shot right in the cab right out in the middle of the field....the combine is still sitting in the field with the cab door shot out. 

Prayers to all involved. 

• Sad 1

If I had to guess this centered around finances.  I remember during the mid-1980's at the worst of the farm crisis murder-suicides making the national news at least once per month.  Nobody likes to say anything but with the erratic weather and exploding costs there is great financial pressure on some farm operations.  Easy for outsiders to throw their two cents in but it can be nearly impossible to think straight with enough pressure on a person's back.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sounds like the shooter was dad and brother to victims and the son was married to the boss who was killed daughter. Sad day for all involved. Sounded l8ke some argument from a week ago spilled over into the violence.

As sad as it is, some people need shot, some people shouldn't be shot. Life's a complain, then you die. I myself would rather be kilt living, than live while I'm dying. Right or wrong.

To kill three people right beside you that youve know probably all ya life sure sounds like its from many arguments from over a period of time not just a on the spot disagreement, wow, that persons mind come back to reality after blowing away the last of the fellows and there in that moment he had a rush of What did I just Do, might as well do myself also cause he knew he would never seen daylight again or live with himself knowing all the people he just tore the heart out of because of his self centered mindset, to me he sounds like one sorry piss poor excuse of a human and one worthless SOB also, thats my 2 cents

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 766 Man said:

If I had to guess this centered around finances.  I remember during the mid-1980's at the worst of the farm crisis murder-suicides making the national news at least once per month.  Nobody likes to say anything but with the erratic weather and exploding costs there is great financial pressure on some farm operations.  Easy for outsiders to throw their two cents in but it can be nearly impossible to think straight with enough pressure on a person's back.   

Probably right.

Story reminds me of a case here in Michigan back in the mid 90s. 

Farmer was planting corn one evening when he was ambushed and killed.  A hired hand showed up and found him with 9 bullet holes in him.

Took a little bit of time to figure out the perpatraitor. Turns out it was a neighbor that did it. Was over him renting the other guys mom's farmland after his Dad died.  He thought it was his and was mad as he-- when he found out he wasn't farming it and snowballed from there. Was a big Story at the time because the guy who was killed was also co.owner of one of the biggest John Deere dealers in the state at that time 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Probably right.

Story reminds me of a case here in Michigan back in the mid 90s. 

Farmer was planting corn one evening when he was ambushed and killed.  A hired hand showed up and found him with 9 bullet holes in him.

Took a little bit of time to figure out the perpatraitor. Turns out it was a neighbor that did it. Was over him renting the other guys mom's farmland after his Dad died.  He thought it was his and was mad as he-- when he found out he wasn't farming it and snowballed from there. Was a big Story at the time because the guy who was killed was also co.owner of one of the biggest John Deere dealers in the state at that time 

Probably a whole lot more to the story than what is known or being told.  More than once around these parts and with large families ground got sold outside of the family.  For all kinds of reasons whether it be constant fighting or screwing among the family members.  Perhaps the dealer "worked" a person who was mentally weak and had every intention of family taking over.  At this point who knows and will anybody ever know the truth?

8 hours ago, 766 Man said:

Probably a whole lot more to the story than what is known or being told.  More than once around these parts and with large families ground got sold outside of the family.  For all kinds of reasons whether it be constant fighting or screwing among the family members.  Perhaps the dealer "worked" a person who was mentally weak and had every intention of family taking over.  At this point who knows and will anybody ever know the truth?

Im sure there is quite a story behind it all. That's the brief version. To keep this in perspective. I was 10 when this all went down. ( wasn't 11 til the following month so you should be impressed that I even remember this. ( I looked up the details to refresh my memory). I remember my Dad and Grandpa talking about it and it making the 6 o clock news. 

The guy who did it fought the conviction for years. Even had the conviction over turned and a new trial ordered. Finally in 2014 he confessed to everything. 

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Jacka said:

Since when did killing someone other than in self defense solve anything. 

It does not.  But guys like you and I are of a different mindset than the shooter.  Those people operate from a standpoint where they need to be boiling mad on an average day for their lives to make sense to them.  I remember when I was young that there was a short list of farmers that you never stopped by to see for any reason because it was likely you would wind up in a physical altercation with them.  Not that you would want to wind up in a fight but because the other guy is just aching for a fight.  The families are usually screwed up and have been so for generations.  There are some really wild stories out there waiting to be heard.  

10 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

It does not.  But guys like you and I are of a different mindset than the shooter.  Those people operate from a standpoint where they need to be boiling mad on an average day for their lives to make sense to them.  I remember when I was young that there was a short list of farmers that you never stopped by to see for any reason because it was likely you would wind up in a physical altercation with them.  Not that you would want to wind up in a fight but because the other guy is just aching for a fight.  The families are usually screwed up and have been so for generations.  There are some really wild stories out there waiting to be heard.  

Yup,there is a "family" or better description is a group of people with the same dam and sire only a few miles from me that are CRAZY.They fell out with feed dealers,equipment salesmen, neighbors,milk truck drivers, companies and Co-ops,artifical breeders,each other( husband, wife and grown boys )and myself. They are all quick tempered,loud mouthed, obnoxious, stupid,never wrong always right and NOTHING is their fault.Don't pay their bills(stuck me for tens of thousands when filing bankruptcy).I chose to right it off on a bad decision to have compassion instead of business sense.

No one I ever heard ever had a nice thing to say about them and if this happened to them wouldn't suprise me at all.

That's just too bad, at times I've wanted to ring my kids necks, but never kill them. Sad things were so bad he shot his brother as well as his son. 

Prayers for the survivors, and hopefully they can let go of the disagreement, what ever it might have been.  Probably a new one after this though

Mark

3 hours ago, Jacka said:

Yup,there is a "family" or better description is a group of people with the same dam and sire only a few miles from me that are CRAZY.They fell out with feed dealers,equipment salesmen, neighbors,milk truck drivers, companies and Co-ops,artifical breeders,each other( husband, wife and grown boys )and myself. They are all quick tempered,loud mouthed, obnoxious, stupid,never wrong always right and NOTHING is their fault.Don't pay their bills(stuck me for tens of thousands when filing bankruptcy).I chose to right it off on a bad decision to have compassion instead of business sense.

No one I ever heard ever had a nice thing to say about them and if this happened to them wouldn't suprise me at all.

You forgot to mention that it is ALWAYS, ALWAYS someone else's fault with these people.  

On 8/31/2022 at 5:31 PM, 766 Man said:

This is true. It's awful. It's wrong. It's avoidable.

But it certainly is true. We have to take care of each other. And I mean that in this way. This kind of mindset is SO foreign, SO sick, and SO insidious, that someone's only hope may be for someone who cares for them to recognize and intervene.

Nationally, the number 988 is now active as a suicide and mental health hotline. It's meant to work like 911 and can be used by anyone, whether the victim themselves or a concerned friend/family/citizen.

Whatever it is, it's for but a season. There ARE better days ahead.

35 minutes ago, KWRB said:

This is true. It's awful. It's wrong. It's avoidable.

But it certainly is true. We have to take care of each other. And I mean that in this way. This kind of mindset is SO foreign, SO sick, and SO insidious, that someone's only hope may be for someone who cares for them to recognize and intervene.

Nationally, the number 988 is now active as a suicide and mental health hotline. It's meant to work like 911 and can be used by anyone, whether the victim themselves or a concerned friend/family/citizen.

Whatever it is, it's for but a season. There ARE better days ahead.

I wish that I could say that this type of behavior is extremely rare.  There are a fair amount of people out there waiting for something to light their fuse.  As I said further down the page there are people that I actively avoid because they are looking for trouble and will not let something go at just a shouting match.  Not too long ago not too far away a person I know had their barn burned down via arson.  As far as intervention ahead of an episode is just very unlikely to happen.  Usually, the people around such a person are very afraid of that person for fear of physical violence among other things.  

Just now, 766 Man said:

I wish that I could say that this type of behavior is extremely rare.  There are a fair amount of people out there waiting for something to light their fuse.  As I said further down the page there are people that I actively avoid because they are looking for trouble and will not let something go at just a shouting match.  Not too long ago not too far away a person I know had their barn burned down via arson.  As far as intervention ahead of an episode is just very unlikely to happen.  Usually, the people around such a person are very afraid of that person for fear of physical violence among other things.  

I'm sure it's not a cure-all, but I said what I said because it's not worthless either. If it's possible, it could save a person's life.