Trailer tire question....

I've been searching for 245/75R16 trailer tires with a load rating of H. Didn't think it would be that difficult. All I can find is 225/75R16 tires at that rating. The closest 245 I can find is load range E. Has this become an oddball tire due to it being 16"?

One thing I noted while searching for these tires. Out of about 20 sites, 15 of them were near identical. The name on top is different, the site colors are different, same ol' format. Wonder if they are all coming out of the same warehouse?

Also, are Hercules tires any good? Looking to make a couple trips with the trailer & selling it after that. Not looking to spend a whole lot on it.

Thanks!

Mike

Mike if you have the room why not go to a 235/85 tire. You can get them in a 16 ply rating and they seem to be available. Looks like you would go from 30.5 inch to 31.7 inch diameter.

The lower profile trailer tires are getting harder to find. Mine runs the 225/75R16. They are available but certainly not as popular. Used tires are non existent. I used to be able to pick up a used truck tire for a spare pretty easily. I have blown a tire on a longer trip. Put the spare on and then picked up a used tire along the way. It's nearly impossible to find a used tire anymore. Newer pickups all run taller rims. I am thinking about lifting my trailer a bit to accommodate the taller and more available 235/85 tire. It's either that or get a different trailer. Either way something is going to change. 

I put Carlisle 14 ply trailer tires on my gooseneck and I’m thinking they are 235/85/16 . My good friend has been running them for several years and they still look like new and that trailer is on the road a lot delivering machinery .

Danny

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, IHC_1470 said:

Mike if you have the room why not go to a 235/85 tire. You can get them in a 16 ply rating and they seem to be available. Looks like you would go from 30.5 inch to 31.7 inch diameter.

I'll measure up the trailer this afternoon & see if there's the clearance. The tires that are on it look a bit small in diameter, but the tandems need room to travel.

Mike

2 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

Used tires are non existent.

I've noticed that. Does everyone run them until they're falling off the rim or are the used ones disposed of right away to keep the new tire market fluid?

Mike

12 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

I've noticed that. Does everyone run them until they're falling off the rim or are the used ones disposed of right away to keep the new tire market fluid?

Mike

That's the biggest part of it, I think. I went looking for a couple old 15" tires for the drill the other day, took quite a while to find a matching set and still had to give $25/ea for them. Seems like the mom and pop shops will keep a few used tires around, but the bigger outfits dispose of them as soon as they can so they can give you the "nope, no used ones but I got a dozen brand new ones that size" excuse. 

Mac

Just put a set of the relatively-new Hercules Strong Guard 235/85r16s on my 36' tandem dual. I'm confident they'll be a great tire for me and the shop we go to for tires sells a ton of the Hercules tires in general with great feedback across the board.