Tire style opinions

Jesse in WI

I've got an off color green (not the dark green) tractor with 4 rib 11L-15 on the front. When doing field work or tillage work it just wants to slide and not turn. The tires are fairly worn but hold air great. I've been thinking of replacing them because they slide so easy. Would I be better going with 3 rib or 4 rib? Tractor is used for raking hay, planting grain, and pulling a spike tooth drag mostly. 

Picture of current tires. 

20220825_200026.thumb.jpg.1c5c11aa52c2331ec7d3710f1695686e.jpg

A 3 rib works better in the dirt, but can tear up sod if you aren't careful. Mine all have 3 rib fronts except for the Cub. It has road tread tires and doesn't turn for beans.

For strictly making hay I'd go with either 4 rib or implement tires. They'll slide but won't tear up the ground. If you're having trouble turning, unlatch your brakes and use them to help if you aren't already. I had he!! turning my 300 until I took the wide front off and replaced with a narrow. That's also something to consider. Then it won't really matter what you put up front. 

Mac

• Like 2

I just bought new 4 rib fronts. Best price I found was Simpletire.com. I didn't realize just how worn the old tires were until compared with new. No matter what you decide new won't slide around as much.

3 rib get my vote... i always say a tractor is in it's retirement stage when it gets the 4 ribs. haha. Just because of the performance flaws mentioned above. If it's strictly a hay tractor, the 4-rib is usually ok, but any tillage or work in loose dirt... garbage imo.

1 minute ago, Jesse in WI said:

No weights. This tractor doesn't do any work that requires weight in the front end.

I never liked the way most tractors that vintage handled without a little weight on the front. I’m not sure new tires will handle that much better. The front end just being too light could be the cause of sliding around. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I never liked the way most tractors that vintage handled without a little weight on the front. I’m not sure new tires will handle that much better. The front end just being too light could be the cause of sliding around. 

It’s a Deere, just fill up the fuel tank!

BTW- I’d go with 3 rib, but I just like that style of tire better.

18 hours ago, Sterling B. said:

3 rib get my vote... i always say a tractor is in it's retirement stage when it gets the 4 ribs. haha. Just because of the performance flaws mentioned above. If it's strictly a hay tractor, the 4-rib is usually ok, but any tillage or work in loose dirt... garbage imo.

So these tractors are in retirement age?

Granted they are 14L-16.1. But ill go against the grain and say 4 rib. I like the looks of them better personally. I think they wear better than 3 ribs. But that's my opinion. 

20210805_155722.jpg

20201006_082931.jpg

• Like 5

Unless a tractor is going to be in loose dirt most of the time, 4 rib.  3 rib tires always die prematurely around here.  That tall center rib flexes the carcass too much.

What?

No mud n snows???

😜

2138215160_SMsu.thumb.jpg.4d7fc47d9ef5f05b3d543febd2f0dcb9.jpg

I run 4 rib on everything (but the SM😄)

No overwhelming reasons, just what I prefer in the sand and sod. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Unless a tractor is going to be in loose dirt most of the time, 4 rib.  3 rib tires always die prematurely around here.  That tall center rib flexes the carcass too much.

I agree 100%, 3 rib seem to have a shorter life, my tractors all have 4 rib now

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2022 at 4:51 PM, Ihfan4life said:

It’s a Deere, just fill up the fuel tank!

BTW- I’d go with 3 rib, but I just like that style of tire better.

Filling the fuel tank will cost as much as new tires?

On 8/27/2022 at 7:20 AM, Reichow7120 said:

So these tractors are in retirement age?

Granted they are 14L-16.1. But ill go against the grain and say 4 rib. I like the looks of them better personally. I think they wear better than 3 ribs. But that's my opinion. 

20210805_155722.jpg

20201006_082931.jpg

Just down in my area the 4-ribs tend to want to slide in any tillage or loose dirt and not bite in like a 3-rib. The 4-rib tends to get put on down here when a tractor isn't doing the heavy work it used to... typically "retired" to a dedicated hay tractor.

Comparing the 4 ribs (pic I posted) to the 3 ribs I have on another tractor and it would seem that the 4 rib has an extra bite. Nothing scientific, just an observation.

On 8/26/2022 at 6:45 PM, Jesse in WI said:

Oliver 1655

My boss has a 1655 with 4 ribs, it turns great with two weights on the front. I think the 4 ribs look a lot better anyhow.IMG_20220718_192344516_HDR.thumb.jpg.a77b73c89172def5ef00e524be3d53c5.jpg

• Like 1