Dodge Cummins turbo question

DT Fan

So my tow vehicle, '03 3/4 ton Dodge with 5.9 in it is kind of a dog. Steering box shot craps last Saturday so it went to the shop to get fixed. I looked at it and decided a professional was a better option. When I picked it up today he told me the turbo isn't spooling up like it should be. This would explain the lack of power. Ok, how do I go about correcting this? Waste-gate? Other ideas.

The truck only has 86,xxx miles on it, body is in good shape, should run for a long time yet. Would be great to have some more umph to get the 856 down the road!

3 hours ago, DT Fan said:

86,xxx miles on it

I'd be headed right to the dealer and invoking fuel/emissions warranty coverage? - I believe it would be part of the Federal regs, but not positive.

M

Has it always been a dog?

Image air filter is good?  Boost leak from outlet of turbo to intake manifold.  Lots spots for charge air to leak.  The turbo will make up for small leaks.  Going to need 0-30 gauge,  cac plugs & soapy water.  Do you know how much boost it’s making?  

Exhaust manifold for any cracks?  Exhaust gaskets not blown out?  Waste gate could be stuck open.  Discount linkage & see if moves.  Maybe pot is no good,  going to need vacuum/pressure pump to check it.

Since it’s a 03,  has fuel pump on the block been replaced & put in the tank?  Likely don’t have a low pressure fuel gauge or high pressure rail gauge in your truck?  I know it’s only got 80k on it but it’s 20 years old.  Is there an injector or two leaking.  Meaning returning too much fuel back.  Need fuel to make boost.  

305hp/555tq should pull your load down the road.  Long farms hauls 1456’s with a 454.  Yes,  I have a 03.

• Like 1

The guys are suggesting engine faults, what about tranny or TC, if its slow to react could it be slow to power through the trans, I remember years ago the sprag gear broke on a gas 350 three speed and it felt like the brakes were on, just a thought.

Find a independent shop that’s into diesel pickups. They’ll  probably be right into those older dodges, (those guys are like a cult )and they'll identify your problem pretty quickly.  

The steering boxes on those things are known to be junk but at least they are a pretty easy and straightforward replacement.  I’ve done a few.  also I have a buddy that recently bought some super duper  $1100 aftermarket box for his that’s  supposed to be the best thing ever, -and it dumped it’s oil and started wobbling in under a year. 

• Like 1

Redhead steering gear has been in business since '81.  $456 out of WA state

Bluetop steering gear has been in business since '86.    $340 out of SD

Then there is a lot people making steering box braces,  no real evidence that it helps or hurts.  

Dodge kinda improved the front end/steering in 09.  Bigger steering gear & linkage

The guy I mentioned above with the $1100 box, the one that failed before he put the new one in, was a redhead. I remember when he ordered that one a few years ago. He was pretty proud of it at the time. It had the extra bracket and bearing thing on the bottom and all.  Drop Pitman arm. Heavy adjustable track bracket. Lotta fancy stuff, but he drives hard over our rough back roads.  Truck also has 37 inch tires and a 5 inch lift, ridiculously wide rims etc….which I’m sure are not helping the situation at all. 

Thanks for the ideas guys! For today I'm going to look at the waste-gate. Need this thing to pull my 'pulling tractor' about 60 miles to Lacona tomorrow. Will look into this further in the future as time allows and report back. Thing thing could see some upgrades in the future.

Mine has 112k on it ,O3 6spd. First lift pump ,put one on frame with filter,not stupid just 10-15 psi. Next check air,wastegate,bottom of charge cooler for leaks,hoses etc. Check slop on turbo shaft. Mine has 12psi pump,K&N intake,valves adjusted ,Rotella oil. Been known to have 15k on gooseneck 

• Like 1

I may wind up taking this to a local diesel shop, just don't have time to try and figure this out on my own. Need it to run right.

Any suggestions for a shop in central Ia.?

21 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

I may wind up taking this to a local diesel shop, just don't have time to try and figure this out on my own. Need it to run right.

Any suggestions for a shop in central Ia.?

Laurel Diesel Services