7ft sickle mower on 886

acem

We are short on hay and this failed crop field had a nice stand of signal grass. It came up after the rains we started getting in late July.

But it's short and I need to work the ground so it's got to be cut now. My hay bind is set up to cut high so the old nh 451 is up to the job but... the 504lpg won't start and the 826 PTO is slipping so the 886 gets the honors.

I've never seen a 3 pt sickle mower on an 86 series, let alone a  7 ft. 

Actually the tires and mower are not adjusted right. We're only getting 6 ft of cut!

A little overkill?

Thx-Ace 

PXL_20220824_174654912.jpg

• Like 10

Im pulling double 9fts with one of our 186 hydro and my dad is pulling a single 9 with our other hydro right now.  They are great mowing tractors.

• Like 3

To avoid having to move the wheels John Deere introduced a version of the #8 sickle mower, called the #8W, which allowed you to mow with the same tread setting as was used for cultivating.

A partial response from yt.cs.

The #8 works well on a tractor with 5 ft wheel tread (like mine) and the #8-W works well on a tractor with 6 ft wheel tread. 

According to Machinery Pete, THIS IS a Model 8W:

https://www.machinerypete.com/details/sickle-mowers/john-deere/8/20515256

And, according to an 'expert' on yt.cs, THIS IS a John Deere #8:  Which, by the location of the upper chain case, and tire IS a #5.images.jpg.4af075fdc4371f817e6b2cca62372d5c.jpg

So, WILL the REAL #8/#8W please stand up?

K8063B.thumb.jpg.a3507c8a78fdfb9e7ddc69f228442690.jpg

1 hour ago, acem said:

A little overkill?

Overkill is under-rated, Ace. Or, to paraphrase a good friend of mine: "ya bet yer a$$ we're pullin' a 7' mower with a 115 horse tractor!". At least you can mow in the AC? 

Mac

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, acem said:

My wife is actually mower, not me.

I guess we could have used the 1486. 

If the 4366 just had a pto...

I know where there’s a 7foot ground drive mower. 😜 Grandpa used to have it as his back mower behind his Regular pulling a mounted pto mower. 
That’s going back to when I was in diapers!!

• Like 3

You use what you got. That makes it just right. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼  Although, if I were handing out points and you managed to get that on the 4366, that would get a bonus point or two. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

You use what you got. That makes it just right. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼  Although, if I were handing out points and you managed to get that on the 4366, that would get a bonus point or two. 😊

Turns would be real interesting.

I mowed quite a bit for my dad with a 9' 1300 IH mower on a green 2520.  The 2520 made a nice mowing tractor.

• Like 3

Signal grass is very similar to crab grass but much bigger. It share many trades of crabgrass (cows like it, hard to cure and bale, worth less after frost-can't stockpile) and some differences (much bigger, will live in water). That is very short Signal grass. Thx-Ace 

My first year I went on my own planting corn I had a 2 row pull type corn planter behind my 1086. It's all I could afford for a planter on short notice and the 10 was only thing set on wide rows. I only did it the first year on 20 acres before I found a 4 row, then since upgraded to my 6 row 900 planter. neighbors talked 

On 8/24/2022 at 2:44 PM, maxxum 140 said:

Im pulling double 9fts with one of our 186 hydro and my dad is pulling a single 9 with our other hydro right now.  They are great mowing tractors.

I'd like to see a pic of the hydro with the double 9.

We ran our 9ft 451 for years on our 706. We used the 1000 shaft and ran about 1300 rpm in high 2nd I think. 

Our old 9ft is in bad shape but I picked up this nice 7 ft last year.

Thx-Ace 

On 8/24/2022 at 11:55 AM, acem said:

We are short on hay and this failed crop field had a nice stand of signal grass. It came up after the rains we started getting in late July.

But it's short and I need to work the ground so it's got to be cut now. My hay bind is set up to cut high so the old nh 451 is up to the job but... the 504lpg won't start and the 826 PTO is slipping so the 886 gets the honors.

I've never seen a 3 pt sickle mower on an 86 series, let alone a  7 ft. 

Actually the tires and mower are not adjusted right. We're only getting 6 ft of cut!

A little overkill?

Thx-Ace 

PXL_20220824_174654912.jpg

If mine didn't have a drop down mount for the breakaway bar, I would try this. That mounts on the to-20