Latest project. Honda Recon

B.B.

This little Honda Recon 250 has been in the family since new.   Really close family friend bought it new in 2002 and used it at our farm for hunting.  After he passed my folks bought it from his estate.  

It sat for about 8-9 years after my dad passed in the basement of mom's old house.   It's not ever been ridden much and is now in great running shape.    Replaced the carb with a new (salty) Honda replacement as the old one just had gas sitting it it too long.  Also had to replace the fuel valve in the tank as it was completely ruined from the old gas.   

New battery and air filter and new lines and she runs good again.   Think I'll keep it around as I have about as much in parts as it's worth lol 😆

IMG_20220821_155410966_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220821_155420036_HDR.jpg

• Like 13

Honda makes a really good atv.  This is my 2006 Foreman 500 this Spring.  One new battery and three sets of tires since new.  Uses no oil at 16,000 miles.008400F9-A0B1-42ED-B167-FCA36E66D11E.thumb.jpeg.9b62211044ccc79148375d0dd04ae122.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Better a Recon than a Rincon. Rincon engine (650 anyway—not sure if the 680 corrected the many shortcomings of the 650) is hand grenade with the pin pulled. 
Can’t say the Foreman 500 engine wows me either. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Will run for many many more trouble free miles now again I’m sure. Looks like it’s  in really nice shape. 

It is in really good shape.  Original seat and no broke plastic  still has original front tires even.  

Just glad to have it back together and running again.  

• Like 3

Very nice 4 wheeler.I have heard that Honda makes a great dirt bike also.Their 4 stroke engines I guess from people that own one  wouldn't own another. My road bikes when I was a kid were Yamaha's.I have a old Mule 1000,the first model built with a 450cc Kawasaki motor.Good old UTV and I would buy another basic Mule.I am too old for a UTV that goes 80mph.I always figured the work would be there when I get there. 

I love the old ones.   I just bought a 1995 300 fortrax. New tires end of last year, he had just wore out the factory tire  Iam the 3rd owner.    A older gentleman, a guy I work with then me.   He just had it serviced 8ED013AC-51D4-408F-97BB-1A3C0E991939.thumb.jpeg.f89d2add4924ddf86568ba59d419c2c0.jpeg

• Like 7

I looked a new recon 250 over pretty good at the dealer.  Couldn't really tell much difference between it and the 2002 model I have.  

• Like 1

Recons are good little four wheelers. I never had one but I know a couple people who have. Very nimble to get around and a decent amount of power for its size. It isn't a speed demon but wasn't meant to be. A four wheel drive version would have been interesting but Honda probably figured the engine wouldn't have enough power for that. 

If the starter gives you any trouble the brushes are what goes bad, its a Honda thing. Brushes can be purchased online for under $20 and are easy to install. Brakes and cables for the rear are another weakness.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, dannyredfan said:

I love the old ones.   I just bought a 1995 300 fortrax. New tires end of last year, he had just wore out the factory tire  Iam the 3rd owner.    A older gentleman, a guy I work with then me.   He just had it serviced 8ED013AC-51D4-408F-97BB-1A3C0E991939.thumb.jpeg.f89d2add4924ddf86568ba59d419c2c0.jpeg

WOW! that's A nice 300

1 hour ago, B.B. said:

I looked a new recon 250 over pretty good at the dealer.  Couldn't really tell much difference between it and the 2002 model I have.  

That’s Honda for you. Once they get something tried and true they seem to be pretty dead set against trying to improve upon it.  Not saying it’s a bad thing but it’s nice to see them spice things up a bit once in a while. 

Wr have a 1996 Honda foreman 400 with 21,000 miles on it now. Had to do a cam chain and tensioner a year ago. Did a rebuild at 9500 miles due to a mouse nest in the air filter. Had it not been for that it would still be pretty much original I think. 

• Like 2

Putting the oil filter in backwards has taken many top ends out on the overhead cam models, I've rebuilt a couple myself for other people.

That same driveline, maybe even the chassis is the foundation for the sport trax 250ex also

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Putting the oil filter in backwards has taken many top ends out on the overhead cam models, I've rebuilt a couple myself for other people.

That same driveline, maybe even the chassis is the foundation for the sport trax 250ex also

That same stunt will also trash a side cam engine such as the Foreman 500.  

6 hours ago, Gearclash said:

That same stunt will also trash a side cam engine such as the Foreman 500.  

Ouch! That's a lot harder repair on those engines.

This one doesn't have a filter to change.  I think there may be a screen under the front cover but the guy at the dealer said to drain and fill.   

I grew up on a Honda 185S 3wheeler and it's still at the farm but it was worn just about out us kids put a million miles on it.   

2 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Ouch! That's a lot harder repair on those engines.

What happens on the OHC engines?  The 500 I deal with had a backward filter incident and it now has what I’m pretty sure is a lower rod bearing knock, cylinder has scuffing and scoring, and the valves had the tips wiped off by the rockers, and the adjusters were way worn where they contacted the valves.  For now it just has new valves and adjusters.

• Sad 1

My goto is an '04 kawa prairie 700, bought it new and put a new belt in three years ago, I will never need a new belt again but I have the 65.00 tool to keep in the tool box, bloody belts are pricey but the tool was a must need to change it. Love the power in the big cubes, the only thing that stops me anywhere is fear. It bit me BIG time in '18, and with me not being a imbiber it was straight bad luck, yours looks very nice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gearclash said:

What happens on the OHC engines?  The 500 I deal with had a backward filter incident and it now has what I’m pretty sure is a lower rod bearing knock, cylinder has scuffing and scoring, and the valves had the tips wiped off by the rockers, and the adjusters were way worn where they contacted the valves.  For now it just has new valves and adjusters.

Overhead cam models will generally trash the head and cam. I just go to an ATV salvage yard I know and get another complete head, lap the valves or replace if needed. Maybe put new rings and hone the cylinder if necessary. Honda used that same engine more or less way back in the three wheeler days so anything with a 250cc engine or 300 will have the same head. Best thing is the head and I think the cylinder comes off without pulling the engine.

• Thanks 1

I just did the top end on my 08 rubicon 500 this past winter/spring/summer(Getting parts took a while lol).  Right around 25000 km on it. I heard a pretty good ticking noise when we were using it last fall and then it quit. Couldn't get it going. Turns out the cam chain tensioner broke. Put the piston into the valves. Bent the valves, dinged up the piston, cam chain was extremely wore. Put in a good used top end, new piston, and hopefully get another 25000 out of it lol. Also one thing I learned is if you hear that ticking, or timing chain slap, stop and fix it then before it becomes a bigger issue! It's a big enough job but can all be done without pulling the motor.

I had been looking for another quad for quite a while, and we had to play the waiting game for parts for this one. We needed a quad for spring around the farm, and good used rubicons rarely ever show up for sale, so I was going to just go buy a brand new one. Then just so happened a 09 rubicon popped up for sale no where near here but it also happened to be in my travels the next day. So I bought it lol. Now these 2 can keep each other company lol. Surprisingly both are on the go almost every day. Not sure how we survived with only 1 quad lol

Snapchat-343929914.thumb.jpg.78be373cb5b92fcbe1e8a22038113509.jpg

• Like 1

Nice Recon and 300. My middle guy has a 84? Honda 300. I think. It's camo and we got it in trade for a trailer of firewood. Starts first pull every time. It looks like it was hit with a grenade. Plastics are cut up, zip ties, or just plain gone. But it runs and runs. 

1 hour ago, Frank H said:

Nice Recon and 300. My middle guy has a 84? Honda 300. I think. It's camo and we got it in trade for a trailer of firewood. Starts first pull every time. It looks like it was hit with a grenade. Plastics are cut up, zip ties, or just plain gone. But it runs and runs. 

Are you sure it isn't a 94? Honda didn't start making the 300 until 88, I think. Also, 300s had electric and a kick start.

11 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Are you sure it isn't a 94? Honda didn't start making the 300 until 88, I think. Also, 300s had electric and a kick start.

Could be. I just relayed what the last owner told me. It's a pull start and key start. Reminds me of a Big Red but with 4 wheels. Is the model stamped on it somewhere?