Tips for turning rusty into rustic?

brewcrew

My wife has a project going that she wants to be rustic. Rather than spending thousands on new materials that look old, I’ve got some old tin that was sitting in a corn crib. The goal is to use it as wainscoting. I’m power washing it for cleanliness, but what can I do to stabilize it, as well as make it safe enough that we don’t need a fresh tetanus shot every time we use the room? I was thinking the small nail holes I’d put a nail with a washer to cover them. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

40F31E8D-6388-4CAC-AE29-18A3498FDE20.jpeg

I have seen where they put acid of some kind to get it all rusted. But I would vote to clear coat if it is the desired amount of rust. Depending on what the "boss" wants you can weld 2 pieces of pipe the right width apart and lay the tin on it and peen the ding out of it as well as smooth the nail holes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

Linseed and acetone 

Would the linseed oil dry enough? It would look great.

It's the concoction some old car guys use to not clear coat but not have rust perpetuating.

Mix the two and apply generously then wipe excess and it soaks in and does it's thing.  Does require redoing periodically. 

Dunno if it's a dust magnet or not.  

Not sure I would want to clear coat down the road if I changed my mind....adhesion might be affected.

Practice on a small scale with a few options before full commitment.....

20 hours ago, gearheadmb said:

No advice on the question but I used some of that in my barn. I think it looks good. You can see it in the background. 

20220726_225511.thumb.jpg.c3cf4ea0dcf2ede2133ef5a80ebd8508.jpg

Damn thats pretty, and the only thing I know about tractors is less than nothing, but I know pretty.

• Like 1

If you hot water power wash it , then use scotch bright and scuff the entire surface and you can use a hot rod clear coat . You can mix it for what ever finish you want, flat , semi gloss, gloss  . If you want to rerust the steel you can mix hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar 50/50 and spray it on the metal where it’s back down to the steel and it will rust it in a few seconds . We did my Pro Farm pulling tractor and it turned out great so I also did my shop truck Browny too .

Danny 

02FBFCEC-F21F-485B-9EB8-BCD78EEA0BD0.jpeg

11668D75-F40A-49E6-A4E7-6CAEC002C76D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1