9900ix

TB5288

Anybody know of a good used 9900ix pre-emmision for sale? I'm in Kansas, seems like the possibilities I can find are in Canada or East coast. Pre-emmision seems to be the hot point. Understandably so. 

I assume you know the reason they are cheaper in the northern areas and Canada is due to rust. Pre emission is easier to find than a pre elog truck with the i cab. Around here many trucks get deleted, and quite a few get back dated engines. I would definitely put an older engine in before I simply deleted a newer engine!

2 hours ago, brewcrew said:

I assume you know the reason they are cheaper in the northern areas and Canada is due to rust. Pre emission is easier to find than a pre elog truck with the i cab. Around here many trucks get deleted, and quite a few get back dated engines. I would definitely put an older engine in before I simply deleted a newer engine!

Yes, I'm aware of the rust. It just seems like there's a lot more for sale in those areas. How do you know if it's pre elog?

3 hours ago, TB5288 said:

Yes, I'm aware of the rust. It just seems like there's a lot more for sale in those areas. How do you know if it's pre elog?

Pre elog involves a build date, or at least an engine date, prior to January 1, 2000

4 hours ago, brewcrew said:

Pre elog involves a build date, or at least an engine date, prior to January 1, 2000

So maybe I'm not understanding it correctly, but why does it matter if it's pre-elog or post-elog? What would that matter?

Pre emission would be 2003 and older, well technically 04, but 04 Cat was starting to play around with some things on the C-15, 05 the twin turbo Accert engines started.

Cummins or Detroit, I’m not sure when they started emissions garbage

11 hours ago, TB5288 said:

So maybe I'm not understanding it correctly, but why does it matter if it's pre-elog or post-elog? What would that matter?

Because some people want to stay on paper logs and cheat the system instead of going to elogs which is much more convenient. 

2 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

Pre emission would be 2003 and older, well technically 04, but 04 Cat was starting to play around with some things on the C-15, 05 the twin turbo Accert engines started.

Cummins or Detroit, I’m not sure when they started emissions garbage

Picking the flyshit out of the pepper I know but we have an '04 with the twin turbo Accert

Pretty sure Cummins and Detroit started the emissions BS with EGR in '04 also, DPF and DEF not sure of years but think it was later than 2010.

Have an '11 Paccar with DEF, it is for sale. 

3 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Because some people want to stay on paper logs and cheat the system instead of going to elogs which is much more convenient. 

Exactly. Paper logs vs elog is really a preference. Paper is much easier to cheat, but elog is not impossible for someone who knows how. But even those of us who run paper legally can prefer them due to simplicity and no elog subscription fees.

8 hours ago, jass1660 said:

So if it's an elog cab, can I not stay on paper?

56 minutes ago, TB5288 said:

Do what you want but paper can only be used for 8 previous days. You can put an app on your phone for an ELD. So much simpler and easy to email log to dot if they request it. 

9 hours ago, sandhiller said:

'04 with the twin turbo Accert

I know 04 in the Cat was a Bridge engine, so you might have a late 04 that was the start of the twins.  My brother worked for Cat in that time frame, and my W900 is a late 03, and not a Bridge engine.  So somewhere in there, the twins were on their way out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

I know 04 in the Cat was a Bridge engine, so you might have a late 04 that was the start of the twins.  My brother worked for Cat in that time frame, and my W900 is a late 03, and not a Bridge engine.  So somewhere in there, the twins were on their way out. 

So you got one of the last 6NZ's then.

Very sought after engine 

On 8/21/2022 at 5:37 PM, TB5288 said:

If the truck was built after December 31, 1999, then you must have an engine built by that date to run paper logs. There are exceptions for local, for not needing logs more than 8 days out of 30, hauling livestock, and probably some more.