12v batteries - tractor pulling

Power of Red

Hi Guys

this one is for the pullers and charge system experts.

what are you guys using as a light weight battery ? 

How small in crank amps can i go on my w6/farmall M starter.  will my 100a ac delco alternator fry a U1L lawn and garden battery? 

i think 350ca will be sufficient for a machine that will not need to start in cold weather and has only two lights that are most likely getting deleted.

Al

The usual thought is, "You can't go to big."

So never tried to go to small.

Try one and give a report.

You may want to throw a blanket or a bucket over the battery, just for safety sake, before you hit the button?

• Like 1

I want to ask.  Why a 100amp alt. ? 
need it for ignition system?

whould a 100amp pull harder?  Probably not enough to make a difference?

and is 5-10# of battery going to make much difference?

I thought most alternators where 35-60 amp. 
when I was getting the ac.  fixed on my tractor, I had to put a 100amp on to keep up with the blower and lights.   Just wandering 

just random thoughts from a guy that doesn’t know. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Power of Red said:

Hi Guys

this one is for the pullers and charge system experts.

what are you guys using as a light weight battery ? 

How small in crank amps can i go on my w6/farmall M starter.  will my 100a ac delco alternator fry a U1L lawn and garden battery? 

i think 350ca will be sufficient for a machine that will not need to start in cold weather and has only two lights that are most likely getting deleted.

Al

if the regulator works properly there is no reason for a battery of any size to be fried by a large alternator. are you so close to your target weight that you cannot add a few #s for a decent battery

58 minutes ago, dannyredfan said:

when I was getting the ac.  fixed on my tractor, I had to put a 100amp on to keep up with the blower and lights.   Just wandering 

I cannot speak to all alternators but most don't make any weight difference going to a higher output

ie, a Delco 10si is increased by changing the stator ( my guess is that's what he is using)- no real weight difference

ali.jpg

2 hours ago, dannyredfan said:

I got curious on your HP question,. "An alternator typically takes about 1 HP (horse power) for every 25 amps of power generated. So, a 100 amp alternator will require about 4 HP at full output. Most alternators do not operate at full output for very long." 

https://alternatorparts.com/how-much-horse-power-does-an-alternator-make.html#:~:text=An alternator typically takes about 1 HP (horse,not operate at full output for very long. 

DD 's idea of covering the little battery is a good one IMHO

I have in my plans to build something similar Al. I would chop as much cast out of the tub as possible and make a lighter front axle bracket from steel while eliminating the leaf spring

I have a set of spoke hubs here for a W6 if you want to make the trip 

The alternator weight should remain close for all. 10DN, 10SI and newer Delco's.

The more amperage power output means more HP to do so.

Nothing is free.

You do need power to excite the alternator to make it charge so you do need some sort of a battery.

Try a very small one and use a jump pack to get it started.

Save a few pounds here and there and all of a sudden you are talking serious weight.

I can smell a test coming to see what works.

I agree 100a is way overkill, the alt was free and lighter than the 10si it replaced. So thats why so big. I am running electronic ignition so the battery is needed.  If i jump to a hotter class where electric fans are permitted, i have the juice to run it. 

About the weight, placable weight is a huge advantage in the hot stock classes i run. The 5mph is killer so making sure i can hook good to the track is important. I can only dream of hitting 4500#... but i killed that dream this week. I am picking up two sets of original wheel weights next week. We dont have a 5000# class so i am aiming to make 5500 with 580# in the wheels and a bit of wiggle room for placable weight. I dont want to have to take those 145# s.o.b off to make it into the lighter class. The next class up is 6500# i know i am gaining 5-10# with a smaller battery but every pound counts in this game. 

Call me crazy! But thats what they call pulling fever  lol. 

I would suggest eliminating the alternator and use weight saving to run a bigger battery.  Alternators take HP to turn.  I don't run one and I have electric fan, water pump and rearend pump that I run on mine on the 12v side.  I have 3 batteries to supply the 36 volts start.  I have never had single 12-volt battery run dead after up to two pulls on same night.  Just make sure they are charged up.  On side note use battery weight to your advance.  If you light on front move it there etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Put a magneto on it, remove the battery and alternator, and be really cool by crank starting it!  

I was going to suggest it but thought if he stalled it hooking and had trouble starting it on the track the JD boys would have a hey day :blink:

12 volt battery pack for distributor ignition