ideas to protect tractor from porcupines

BuckRun

The porcupines here love to eat the rubber tires and hydraulic lines. I don't have a building to keep the tractor in and I'm not around for weeks at a time. I'm looking for ideas on how to keep the porcupines away from the tractor. They climb just about everything. Thanks for any help!

We don't have porcupines around here, at least that I'm aware of, but it looks like there's some stuff out there that might help you.

https://www.critter-repellent.com/porcupine-repellent

https://www.amazon.com/Predator-Pee-Porcupine-Stopper-12/dp/B07H8JFY51

Used to be a problem when dad went to deer camp people routinely carried roll flashing and put it around their vehicles. If they didn’t the porcupine would eat tires, brake lines, anything else they could chew. 
that and shooting every one you can find. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Used to be a problem when dad went to deer camp people routinely carried roll flashing and put it around their vehicles. If they didn’t the porcupine would eat tires, brake lines, anything else they could chew. 

Didnt somebody post something similar to that on here a little while back? I remember there being boxes put around combine tires to keep the critters out.

These are all great ideas. (Even the funny ones. ) My place is in the North Wilds of central PA. The state put fishers in the forest to help with the porcupine problem, but there aren't enough I guess. It seems no matter how many I get rid of, they must have told there family and friends about the location. Thanks!

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

One night sleeping in the back of my car in the Rockies I fought off a porcupine maybe 6 to 8 times who was chewing on wiring and rubber components.  Hiking poles are awfully short when trying to fend off an angry (and hungry?) porcupine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Electric poultry netting works well at keeping unwanted critters out. A solar fence charger should work if you don't have power available.

• Like 1

Try diplomacy. Just offer to buy them a beer (they're little, one should go a long ways in their pack -pod? -gaggle? who tf knows) and talk it out. They're so stinkin cute I bet they're really reasonable when you get to know them!

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2022 at 3:32 PM, KWRB said:

Try diplomacy. Just offer to buy them a beer (they're little, one should go a long ways in their pack -pod? -gaggle? who tf knows) and talk it out. They're so stinkin cute I bet they're really reasonable when you get to know them!

Looked it up. It's a prickle!!! A prickle of porcupines! See, even the words are cute.

A second option would be adopting him and bringing him home. As you say, you don't live where the tractor is parked!

I ate a porcupine once when I was young, tasted like Forest service signs.

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, cobfly said:

I ate a porcupine once when I was young, tasted like Forest service signs.

..interesting, cobfly.... the inference being that did things go so far south, you had to survive by eating Forest Service signs???

....I would have thought there would be a law against eating Govt. property  ??...and to **** with hungry peasants...:)

Mike

No, I was young, maybe smoked some weed, for sure drank a lot of Jack Daniels, shot a porcupine that was atop a sign. When I cooked and ate him over a campfire, I noticed a peculiar taste. When I was done at the hotsprings, the next day as I drove out, stopped at the sign, saw tooth marks and took a sliver of the sign, ate it, tasted like the porcupine. Ah, the joys of lead based paint. 45 years ago. Would have stayed at the hotsprings longer, but alas, it was short on naked hippy chicks. I just proceeded to bear hunt, belly full.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

You have serious issues my friend, serious issues. 
name 1 contribution porcupines make to the planet. They kill desirable trees and the only predator they have is a creature so foul the only reason anyone would want it anywhere near is to kill porcupines. And on top of all that, just one is more destructive than a whole team of rats. 

3 hours ago, cobfly said:

No, I was young, maybe smoked some weed, for sure drank a lot of Jack Daniels, shot a porcupine that was atop a sign. When I cooked and ate him over a campfire, I noticed a peculiar taste. When I was done at the hotsprings, the next day as I drove out, stopped at the sign, saw tooth marks and took a sliver of the sign, ate it, tasted like the porcupine. Ah, the joys of lead based paint. 45 years ago. Would have stayed at the hotsprings longer, but alas, it was short on naked hippy chicks. I just proceeded to bear hunt, belly full.

...good story  !!!....yeah...the lack of '' naked hippy chicks' would certainly have proved so disappointing......:(

...the dietary habits of some of my American friends has always intrigued   me......most especially the blokes that eat those round things , with a hole in the middle.......   a la   Homer Simpson, who  comes to mind....<_<

Mike

4 hours ago, cobfly said:

Good choice, I prefer my women less hairy and better smelling than the game i hunt. As to eating a porcupine it would take something more like LSD to get me to eat one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Good choice, I prefer my women less hairy and better smelling than the game i hunt. As to eating a porcupine it would take something more like LSD to get me to eat one. 

They might seem tastier if you had the same experience Mary Ingalls had.  I highly recommend this book.  A novel based on a true story.

Mary Ingles was twenty-three, married, and pregnant, when Shawnee Indians invaded her peaceful Virginia settlement, killed the men and women, then took her captive. For months, she lived with them, unbroken, until she escaped, and followed a thousand mile trail to freedom--an extraordinary story of a pioneer woman who risked her life to return to her people.

https://www.amazon.com/Follow-River-James-Alexander-Thom/dp/0345338545/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1N8WEYRWGIZOP&keywords=follow+the+river+by+james+alexander+thom&qid=1660876478&s=books&sprefix=Follow+the%2Cstripbooks%2C101&sr=1-1

Back when we had outhouses the porkies would chew up the doors to get at the seats ! Tool handles were another thing they'd chew on! They sure can do a lot of damage in the forest. While cross country skiing one time I saw a tree that looked like some one had white washed the whole thing, Porkies had chewed off all the bark! It was a Red Oak.

18 hours ago, augercreek said:

Back when we had outhouses the porkies would chew up the doors to get at the seats ! Tool handles were another thing they'd chew on! They sure can do a lot of damage in the forest. While cross country skiing one time I saw a tree that looked like some one had white washed the whole thing, Porkies had chewed off all the bark! It was a Red Oak.

Here, the pine tree is their preferred snack.

Stripping the bark from the tops, they do a lot of damage to a commodity we don't have too much of.

While they are up there munching is a good time to give them a leaducation.

• Like 3

My Uncle was a bachelor and deep thinker and that was one animal he could not figure out a benefit in the cycle of life

• Like 1