8920 Magnum oil consumption

Gearclash

Guy I know bought an 8920 early this summer. 6 thousand some hours on it I believe. He says it is using a gallon of oil in 50 hours. No external leakage that he knows of. Any ideas?  Seems kinda low hours to be burning oil. 

Pull very front plug on bottom of trans, see if it's got any engine oil in it from rear main or main seal carrier being loose. Its a dry cavity and I have drained close to 10 gallon out of them before. 

Actually just done an 8920 rear main that the seal carrier was loose, it got a new carrier and rear main seal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CIHTECH said:

Pull very front plug on bottom of trans, see if it's got any engine oil in it from rear main or main seal carrier being loose. Its a dry cavity and I have drained close to 10 gallon out of them before. 

Actually just done an 8920 rear main that the seal carrier was loose, it got a new carrier and rear main seal. 

We were wondering what happened if oil left out the rear main area.  It won’t leak out of the space there?

1 hour ago, Gearclash said:

We were wondering what happened if oil left out the rear main area.  It won’t leak out of the space there?

I believe it is captive unless the plugs are pulled . Rear main seal or loose rear main seal housing are common Cummins should have used locktite on all those bolts 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gearclash said:

It won’t leak out of the space there?

No, the flywheel housing / speed housings are sealed across the bottom and about halfway up with 515.

• Thanks 1

My 8940 would use a gallon in 100 hours. Had the rear main replaced last winter. Tec sent me a picture when he got the tractor split. It was loose as a goose and he said that's one of the worst I've seen. This past spring it used no oil, stayed on full. It's got around 3900 hours and I've had it since 900 hours so it was the original

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

How long ago did you do this?  Kinda odd, above mentioned 8920 supposedly has a  new rear main seal.

Good advice given so far from everyone. 

I will say that we did have some issues with 8900 series/2300 combines have oil consumption issues that we generally never had with older 8.3Ls. When the 8.3L mechanical engine had to meet emissions standards, injection pump timing was changed, causing some items to show up on those engines. IIRC, the older 8.3Ls never had valve stem seals on the exhaust valves....the thinking was that they didn't need them. After the first year or so of emissions(actually the last year of 7200s had to meet emissions), CDC started installing exhaust valve stem seals on the 8.3Ls and it did seem like it helped on oil consumption issues. Don't know if that's your issue or not, but something to keep in mind.

• Thanks 1

A follow up.  The owner pulled the front transmission plug and there was only a token amount of oil there, most likely from the transmission.  He is going to keep monitoring oil usage.

I remember a post on Facebook. I don't remember weather it was a 71, 72, or 89 series. But they always had oil consumption issues. Would always be adding a quart or 2 to keep it on the full line. 

They figured our if they just left it alone, it would just burn the first quart or so after an oil change, then it found its happy spot and didn't burn oil after that. It didn't like the whole 5 gal in. 

• Thanks 1

The early 71 series had issues with using oil and CIH overhauled those on their dime. First ones in 16 series combines would use oil because they didn’t like the higher rpms so they re-geared the pto box on later ones and dropped rpm down.

I believe that IH deemed high oil consumption at 1 gallon a day in a 1066 tractor.

Same engine in a crawler was 5 gallons a day.

7 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I believe that IH deemed high oil consumption at 1 gallon a day in a 1066 tractor.

Holy cow! I would sure hope they deemed that high consumption!

For the last umpteen years, CaseIH/CNH has used a formula/ratio that compares oil consumption in an engine to the quantity of fuel the engine consumes to determine if oil consumption is excessive. The rate has been pretty steady at .4%, which means that an engine can consume just a little bit less than a half-gallon of oil for every 100 gallons of fuel consumed. I know many people would consider that to be excessive, but that's pretty much the gold standard. I believe that started with CaseIH's affiliation with Cummins years ago, but its still the rate used today as far as I know. I'm guessing that most diesel engine makers are pretty close in lockstep with this specification.

This post reminds me of all the issues we had with excessive oil consumption we had with L10 Cummins engines back in the early 1990s in the 9150 Steigers. We had a couple guys monitor their oil/fuel consumption for a couple hundred hours for warranty consideration. My numbers might be off a little as this was 30 years ago....but it seems like we had one engine that documented that it used a gallon of oil every 11 hours or so......that one qualified for new pistons/sleeves/rings under warranty. We had another guy that averaged a gallon of oil every 15 hours or so.....that one did not fall under the criteria for "excessive oil consumption". Go figure....

I recall years ago, moldboard plowing with 856’s, a quart per day was considered normal.

About the same consumption when running the Gehl 800 forage chopper, all day.

On 8/20/2022 at 12:13 PM, Diesel Doctor said:

One of our landlords bought a new 1460 combine and it burned something like a gallon a day since new. He complained about it and the dealer said it was not excessive. He ran it a few years and then traded it back to the dealer. The dealer had his own farm and used it to harvest his own crops that fall. The dealer called him that fall irate that he had not disclosed the amount of oil that the machine was consuming and that it was obviously in need of an overhaul, this was the same dealer that had sold it new. He laughed and said that you all are the ones who told me that it wasn’t excessive. 

• Haha 1