What is salvageable?

Sledgehammer

A long time friend of mine lost his 1486 to a fire Saturday. He said he was lucky the breeze kept the fire away from his building and the mower has no terrible damage.

I told him I would help him remove anything salvageable that he wanted to keep. He will save the suitcase and wheel weights. Passenger dual wheel is stress cracked from the heat. Driver side dual wheel has about 95% paint left on it.  What else do you keep?  One cast center still has all the paint left on it.  Drawbar could be good.  Lift arms and top link could probably be saved.  Dual PTO for a core? Opinions?  Things I’m missing?

1C17F6F4-CEE8-4EB3-9FA6-6B026AEF08E9.jpeg

81BB63AF-8A8D-4FFC-8F32-636037CD11EC.jpeg

27E1328C-9250-49A9-8656-B76BBC5A4FF3.jpeg

F561CBA9-F3A0-49C9-B24B-9D6B6F43234A.jpeg

• Sad 11

I'd oil it up with drain oil and tear it down. We bought a burned 7140 MFD and used the front axle, PTO had rebuilt as a dual unit, rear castings should be good, top link weights front axle, frame rails and block are probably good for a tarp tractor..... 

Edit to add 

Exhaust manifold, TA housing, rear end gears and probably housings , etc . I know I am forgetting stuff 

• Like 2

How'd it catch fire?

7 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

How'd it catch fire?

He was mowing with the batwing and parked it running outside the shed while he went in to make room to put it inside. When he came out he saw some white smoke puff out under the cab he said followed quickly by flames. He ran in for a fire extinguisher  and shot it under the cab by the passenger battery but it wasn’t enough. Called the FD at that point. He said flames were too much to get to the throttle to kill it so it was still running while it burnt. 

• Sad 3

Agree with Bitty. Lots of good stuff on there. Find a cab a make it a new project. Like was said , if it has paint on it probably fine. The rear end looks like it has a lot of paint. Maybe make it an open station. 

• Like 1

If he's interested in salvaging it, could buy it off the insurance company for salvage. Sometimes they like that. Makes things simple for them. They will deduct the salvage value out of the insurance check, whatever value they decide the tractor was worth. Take the insurance money and buy something else. 

• Like 1

Dang that stinks! Hate to see that happen.

Dang that stinks. We had our self propelled chopper burn. We kept it and sold parts off of it to recoup some money. It was a mistake. Only a couple people bought parts and ended up scrapping the rest. Hard to toss a John Deere 619 engine in the scrap, but no one was interested in it because it burnt..

Todd you have the idea of what temperature it takes to melt what metals with your forge experience. I personally think it came burn the paint off before the metal is compromised, yet there's a point of too much heat after that point. I've salvaged many burned items . We had a barn fire , skid loader burn , bought a burned tractor, skid loader burn the was 3 months old (jockey bought that one and fixed) 

2 minutes ago, 560DT said:

on the bright side of things   at least this didnt happen after he put it in the shed 

And nobody was hurt more importantly 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, MoeSzyslak said:

Sheet metal and cab still look straight, i would save that. Ones around here are always rotted out or all bashed in in random places.

I would definitely inspect that but usually it gets warped. If sheet metal isn't warped it wasn't really really hot in my experience 

44 minutes ago, MoeSzyslak said:

Sheet metal and cab still look straight, i would save that. Ones around here are always rotted out or all bashed in in random places.

42 minutes ago, bitty said:

I would definitely inspect that but usually it gets warped. If sheet metal isn't warped it wasn't really really hot in my experience 

It is all warped 

34 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

Passenger side dual? Driver side dual? Ohhhhh Kayyyyy lol..

You can say left or right but where are you standing. Your left or my left?  Everyone knows driver side and passenger side even though you sit in the center.  I guess I could have said hot side and cold side 🤷🏻‍♂️  You know what I meant 😊

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

You can say left or right but where are you standing. Your left or my left?  Everyone knows driver side and passenger side even though you sit in the center.  I guess I could have said hot side and cold side 🤷🏻‍♂️  You know what I meant 😊

The fellas across the pond may not agree!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:

The fellas across the pond may not agree!!! 

How about throttle side and T/A side? 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Can’t say there are any hard rules about what is salvageable and what isn’t on  a burned tractor.  I put an MFD knuckle off a toasted tractor on my loader tractor; there was no paint left on the salvage part.  So far so good and that was 6 years ago.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

How about throttle side and T/A side? 😂😂

Or, intake and exhaust side?

3 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Can’t say there are any hard rules about what is salvageable and what isn’t on  a burned tractor.  I put an MFD knuckle off a toasted tractor on my loader tractor; there was no paint left on the salvage part.  So far so good and that was 6 years ago.

I've burnt the paint off of things I've welded yet some of them stayed together for it's intended purpose. I think you will be fine with that knuckle 

What a shame. The fact that it kept running means that coolant and oil kept circulating. Might have kept some things from getting as hot as they would have otherwise? Looks like worst damage is concentrated on cab...might be more save able than a person would first think. 

• Like 1