Champion Spark Plugs- Garbage

td9bcf180

Have D89D Champion plugs in a TD9 dozer (Super WD9 tractor, Models 600, 650 have same D350 engine).  As far as I am concerned- they are junk.  A million reasons why.  

Question is- they cross reference to several different brands- what is recommended by you guys?  Bosch, Autolite, NGK, Motorcraft, Stitt, AC Delco, Prestolite, Denso?

Had the best luck with NGK, i have had generators that simply wouldn’t start well or run smooth after exhausting everything else I changed out the perfect looking champion plugs to NGK and they ran like a dream. Every time. Now i just change them before the customer ever sees the unit and every time i do a service on one we didn’t install new. Saves lots of aggravation. 

• Like 2

Several years since I used champions in the gas tractors. Went to other brands, but had no problems with D89D in the diesels. Dave

Seems to cross to NGK A6;  NGK AB2; NGK stk 1010 but I can't x ref. or find these numbers anywhere, online??   Call NAPA tomorrow morning I guess.

I seem to be the only one who has good luck with Champion plugs. Ones in the 'Yard-buggy' pick-up just got changed, had over 100,000 miles on them. Run them with good luck in all my Orange gas tractors with no ill effects. Think the 756 has Autolites in it, just because they came in the 301 and were basically brand new. Having said that, if I knew the NGK numbers, I would probably run them.

One x reference website says Champion D89D's cross to NGK 2910 AB6.  Thread diameter 18mm.   0.28 gap.  Looks like the right one but I will call my supplier in the am. 

The older Champion plugs- I had no problems with. Last 2 sets I bought foul up in no time.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

I seem to be the only one who has good luck with Champion plugs. Ones in the 'Yard-buggy' pick-up just got changed, had over 100,000 miles on them. Run them with good luck in all my Orange gas tractors with no ill effects. Think the 756 has Autolites in it, just because they came in the 301 and were basically brand new. Having said that, if I knew the NGK numbers, I would probably run them.

I can't honestly say I've ever traced any problems back to a specific brand of plug and had very few plug problems of any kind and what little I did was small engine. But I don't work on near the stuff some do.

1 hour ago, td9bcf180 said:

One x reference website says Champion D89D's cross to NGK 2910 AB6.  Thread diameter 18mm.   0.28 gap.  Looks like the right one but I will call my supplier in the am. 

The older Champion plugs- I had no problems with. Last 2 sets I bought foul up in no time.  

Go up a heat range.  I hear Champions get ragged on all the time; I have never seen them give trouble universally.  I have one application that hates NGKs, Champions work there.  Had one engine that fouled Autolite plugs left and right; went up one heat range (still an Autolite plug) and never messed with the plugs again.

• Like 1

We have some two cylinder Deere tractors and champion plugs absolutely will not work in them. They will foul while the engine is not running. Put them in, runs good. Shut it off, come back later to restart and one cylinder has a misfire. Auto-lite work good for me. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Go up a heat range.  I hear Champions get ragged on all the time; I have never seen them give trouble universally.  I have one application that hates NGKs, Champions work there.  Had one engine that fouled Autolite plugs left and right; went up one heat range (still an Autolite plug) and never messed with the plugs again.

I've heard the complaints about Champion plugs too but can't say I've ever had a bad one. Been a long time since I bought a new spark plug as all mine seem to just keep going. Did have some new autolites in an IH BD truck engine that seemed to lose their spark for no apparent reason. I put an old Champion back in and it ran fine. 

• Like 1

I run champion plugs in alot of gas engines round here with good luck.

However I seem to get longer service from autolite plugs in my IH SV engines. My irrigation engine is an IH 304 on LPG. it's run a total of over over 30 days (24-7) this summer on one set of plugs. At 60 mph  that would be 43,000 miles! They are still running good.

Thx-Ace 

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Had the best luck with NGK, i have had generators that simply wouldn’t start well or run smooth after exhausting everything else I changed out the perfect looking champion plugs to NGK and they ran like a dream. Every time. Now i just change them before the customer ever sees the unit and every time i do a service on one we didn’t install new. Saves lots of aggravation. 

Nissans and old Datsuns like NGK plugs much better than any other brand.  And in my experience they've always been gapped properly right out of the box,

6 hours ago, acem said:

I run champion plugs in alot of gas engines round here with good luck.

However I seem to get longer service from autolite plugs in my IH SV engines. My irrigation engine is an IH 304 on LPG. it's run a total of over over 30 days (24-7) this summer on one set of plugs. At 60 mph  that would be 43,000 miles! They are still running good.

Thx-Ace 

Ace

About service hours but a bit O/T

I saw an ad recently where Rolls Royce has extended the time to first major overhaul of their new marine diesels to 96000 hours and possibly up to 25 years depending on use.

https://www.rolls-royce.com/media/press-releases/2021/01-12-2021-rr-extends-tbo-intervals-of-mtu-series-4000-engines-for-commercial-marine-application.aspx

It was 30,000 hours on some of their earlier ones.

Do NOT buy plugs from Ebay! There are knockoff or counterfeit plugs for sale. If the price looks too good to be true.............

I prefer NGK or AC.

Beware the knockoff platinum or iridium as they're really not actually tipped with a precious metal. Google counterfeit spark plugs to see numerous videos on how to identify them.

• Thanks 1

Got Champion 25 s in the Fordson F from advanced auto. Starts with hand crank 4 half turns with full choke. Just like my 89 year old mentor ( sharp,good mechanic  from butler,pa. )said it would. Running buzz coils ,flywheel wheel magnets 6volts ac on hand crank .

8 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Looks like  NGK 2910 AB6 is the same as a Champion D14 or D16 and one heat range up. One website has Champion D89D's at $28 a piece!  I'm going straight to my NAPA dealer on this one.

Lots of great advice here and I thank all of you. I will keep you posted on the results.

11 minutes ago, td9bcf180 said:

Looks like  NGK 2910 AB6 is the same as a Champion D14 or D16 and one heat range up. One website has Champion D89D's at $28 a piece!  I'm going straight to my NAPA dealer on this one.

Lots of great advice here and I thank all of you. I will keep you posted on the results.

@1586 Jeff explained that NAPA had a much higher profit margin on Champion plugs, so they stock them. 

We actually have better luck with Champion spark plugs than Autolite. 

When I got my H going back in 2017. I put Autolites in it. Seemed like I was constantly fouling them and cleaning them. Went back to Champions and the fouling went away. Our 460 has Champions in it too. Haven't touched them since we replaced the head back in 2013. 

Sometimes I wonder if there is a difference in gas from region to region that plays into what bothers or not.

• Like 3

In small power equipment, Briggs, Kohlers, Tecumseh etc. I've never had a problem with a Champion plug.

As mentioned above, lots of cheap knock offs these days. And then there's box store "value lines" where a reputable brand makes a cheaper version for sale at Walmart or whatever... Which I suspect Champion was one of the earlier brands to do so... hence the reputation that they are junk.

I remember dad always bought Champion plugs in a carded 8 pack at K-Mart, and I'd bet he changed plugs every 15-20k miles. Same with the Wells distributor cap and rotor from Fleet Farm.

Being that Champion has the poor reputation, I wonder how many people have had just that one bad experience, could have been a fluke or something unrelated that gets blamed on the plugs, and say.. yep they're junk, and never buy another. 

• Like 2

I have a strong suspicion that when someone has a incident of “I changed from brand X plugs that always fouled to brand Y plugs that never foul so brand X must be junk” that what really happened is that the brand Y plug was slightly hotter than the brand X plug, even if they were listed as the same in a cross reference.  I strongly doubt that plugs from different mfrs, though listed as equivalent in a cross reference guide, have exactly the same heat dissipation characteristics.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cattech said:

In small power equipment, Briggs, Kohlers, Tecumseh etc. I've never had a problem with a Champion plug.

As mentioned above, lots of cheap knock offs these days. And then there's box store "value lines" where a reputable brand makes a cheaper version for sale at Walmart or whatever... Which I suspect Champion was one of the earlier brands to do so... hence the reputation that they are junk.

I remember dad always bought Champion plugs in a carded 8 pack at K-Mart, and I'd bet he changed plugs every 15-20k miles. Same with the Wells distributor cap and rotor from Fleet Farm.

Being that Champion has the poor reputation, I wonder how many people have had just that one bad experience, could have been a fluke or something unrelated that gets blamed on the plugs, and say.. yep they're junk, and never buy another. 

I find 5-8 a year that are a piece of junk, look beautiful but run noticeably smoother with NGK