Be advised before buying aftermarket IH engine overhaul kits

Hydro70

One of my Dads best mechanics that worked for our IH dealership has his own machinery repair business and I dropped by from time to visit and I was there last week and he was telling me about a 1486 that a farmer brought in to have overhauled so Paul ordered a overhaul kit from a market that he has used before and installed it and the tractor fired up so he drove it out of the shop and was going to dyno it and while he was on his phone he started to hear a knock coming from the tractor at around 1,000 rpms and within a minute it became bad and the tractor quit so he disassembled it and had the pistons taken to NAPA to make sure they were made to specs and two of the pistons were 5,000ths to small, this is a new kit and he called the manufacturer and they were like its your problem and he told them they will definitely be hearing more from him.  So if ya take and buy a new kit and its not from CaseIH you better make sure they are dead on specs or you will be having a sheet load of problems.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have seen a p&s kit from John Deere and Allis with piston to sleeve clearance too tight (in the 80s), Like DWV said you have to check all clearances

5 hours ago, Hydro70 said:

One of my Dads best mechanics that worked for our IH dealership has his own machinery repair business and I dropped by from time to visit and I was there last week and he was telling me about a 1486 that a farmer brought in to have overhauled so Paul ordered a overhaul kit from a market that he has used before and installed it and the tractor fired up so he drove it out of the shop and was going to dyno it and while he was on his phone he started to hear a knock coming from the tractor at around 1,000 rpms and within a minute it became bad and the tractor quit so he disassembled it and had the pistons taken to NAPA to make sure they were made to specs and two of the pistons were 5,000ths to small, this is a new kit and he called the manufacturer and they were like its your problem and he told them they will definitely be hearing more from him.  So if ya take and buy a new kit and its not from CaseIH you better make sure they are dead on specs or you will be having a sheet load of problems.

From Case IH is repackaged aftermarket, not sure who all is their suppliers but I have seen some poor quality items 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bitty said:

From Case IH is repackaged aftermarket, not sure who all is their suppliers but I have seen some poor quality items 

Whether it be ag, automotive, or otherwise parts quality has been in decline for a while now.

• Like 2

The older IH model overhauls kits from CaseIH are repackaged Reliance kits

• Like 1

The only true OEM kit would be something NOS that someone has had sitting on a shelf for 40 years.

These engines just aren't being overhauled in the quantities that they once were. Demand for engine kits has tanked to the point where most manufacturers have stopped making parts. Reliance may be the only one left that is actually "making" parts as in machining new, not just pulling parts made 20 years ago off a shelf. 

Old timers in the shop use to tell us , “what you don’t measure you don’t control. “ measure everything or do over ,

• Like 4

@Super A_sepa I can't remember what brand Jessie has ....

I can't help myself .050" is almost 1/16 of an inch . I would think an experienced mechanic would have noticed a difference in the pistons going in . maybe a rookie rebuilt that engine

Just now, snoshoe said:

He said .005 not .050

ahh, I didn't read it again today and got it wrong🤡my memory ain't what it used to be either/ .005 would not be noticable

On 8/14/2022 at 6:40 PM, DWV said:

Should be standard practice to measure every part before installing. Agree parts should be better quality. Dave

Lol...tell us how many times you've measured a piston recently, please....

Travis

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

The only true OEM kit would be something NOS that someone has had sitting on a shelf for 40 years.

These engines just aren't being overhauled in the quantities that they once were. Demand for engine kits has tanked to the point where most manufacturers have stopped making parts. Reliance may be the only one left that is actually "making" parts as in machining new, not just pulling parts made 20 years ago off a shelf. 

My Super H still has the factory original sleeves & pistons in it.  Last tune-up I did years ago it barely got 100 PSI of compression pressure in a couple holes, an overhaul is in it's future.  Topics like this made me cringe!  But Red Power Magazine to the rescue, one of their advertisers specializes in new old stock genuine IH parts.  Got an old original box full of new IH Add Power Firecrater pistons, sleeves, & rings. Still had the instruction sheet in the box.  Eventually, the supply will dwindle down to zero, but these guys have a great network of people notifying them of dealers and repair shops going out of business.  I've still got to get bearings, seals, gaskets, other small parts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sparky said:

Lol...tell us how many times you've measured a piston recently, please....

Travis

Getting old so slowed down on rebuilds. Last one was a M last year. Measured sleeve OD, ID before and after installing, pistons, pins and bushings, crank and bearings, oil pump internals. Rejected two sleeves. C-175 before that and every engine that needed work I have owned. In the past rebuilt most of construction engines my employer had at the time for seven years. Really started to measure everything when hot rodding when younger. Used engines were cheap then and I would measure lots of parts and sometimes use used parts with better measurements than new ones. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DR.EVIL said:

My Super H still has the factory original sleeves & pistons in it.  Last tune-up I did years ago it barely got 100 PSI of compression pressure in a couple holes, an overhaul is in it's future.  Topics like this made me cringe!  But Red Power Magazine to the rescue, one of their advertisers specializes in new old stock genuine IH parts.  Got an old original box full of new IH Add Power Firecrater pistons, sleeves, & rings. Still had the instruction sheet in the box.  Eventually, the supply will dwindle down to zero, but these guys have a great network of people notifying them of dealers and repair shops going out of business.  I've still got to get bearings, seals, gaskets, other small parts.

Is that the C169 in that tractor? If so, there's a NOS skeleton block here that you could add to your collection of original parts....

Mike

1 hour ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Is that the C169 in that tractor? If so, there's a NOS skeleton block here that you could add to your collection of original parts....

Mike

Super H is a 164.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Super H is a 164.

Posted fire craters, so in the 164 block 3-9/16 pistons would make the engine 169 CI.