Disposal of calcium chloride?

Dave Downs

I’ve got to replace one of the rear rims on the Cub I just got. I just drained the tire, now I’ve got about 20 gallons of liquid calcium chloride to get rid of.

Anyone got suggestions? My lane is stone and I’m thinking of pouring it on the lane to kill the grass that grows in it. It can’t be anymore damaging to the environment than when the highway department spreads gallons of the stuff on the road during the winter.

• Like 1

Where I blew a tire nothing grew for a couple of years😁.

Stuff sucks, rots the rims, burns your hands, only thing to recommend it is that it's cheap. I've got nothing loaded anymore, A set of tires I bought were loaded with rim guard (beet juice), I pumped it out and gave it to my neighbor.

Yeah, gravel road is the best place.

It's bad stuff on the Colorado pickup. Here our tire dealer takes it (when they don't have too much already) for those who don't want to pony up the extra cash for swapping to beet juice. I have a barrel of it in surplus currently 

I realize it is a fruitless endeavor, but i make every effort to get the stuff away from my vehicles and equipment. I have a farmer friend who is legendary for his frugality, sometimes he will even come pump it out for me. Sometimes i have to go get his barrels and pump it out myself. But i get rid of the stuff as fast and and as far away as i can. 

• Like 1

Had a tire go bad on the 3588 I just picked up. I had to move it about a mile to get it from the back end of the hay field to the shop. Was up when I started out but wife said as I was going it kept squirting more and more fluid until all at once the was a gush as the outside bead broke loose from rim and spit the tube out. 

Solve my issue of how to get the fluid out of that tire. I suppose I will pump it out of the other 3.

6 minutes ago, IHC_1470 said:

Had a tire go bad on the 3588 I just picked up. I had to move it about a mile to get it from the back end of the hay field to the shop. Was up when I started out but wife said as I was going it kept squirting more and more fluid until all at once the was a gush as the outside bead broke loose from rim and spit the tube out. 

Solve my issue of how to get the fluid out of that tire. I suppose I will pump it out of the other 3.

Had the very same thing happen to me, every revolution it squirted, next year dead spots every so many feet. Filled back in after a year or so 

I was at a local antique tractor pull a few years back when one of the tractors started leaking out the sidewall. I'm glad I was out of the line of fire as it was spraying the spectators every time it went around. Funny to watch but I'm sure it stung if anyone got it in their eyes.

If I ever wanted to load a tire again it would be Rim Guard. The only bad thing you can say about it is that it's sticky on your hands.

2 hours ago, DavCut said:

Interesting question @Dave Downs

Not sure how long the residual would last, but I’ve heard horror stories of people salting dirt driveways during the winter and that taking the frost out making a sloppy mess. 

There’s enough stone base that I don’t think I have to worry about that.

On the drive it goes!!!!!

• Like 4

I've drained a few chloride filled tires right in front of the workshop with no adverse effects. Probably killed the grass for a year or two but you'd never know it now. 

7 hours ago, Dave Downs said:

I’ve got to replace one of the rear rims on the Cub I just got. I just drained the tire, now I’ve got about 20 gallons of liquid calcium chloride to get rid of.

Anyone got suggestions? My lane is stone and I’m thinking of pouring it on the lane to kill the grass that grows in it. It can’t be anymore damaging to the environment than when the highway department spreads gallons of the stuff on the road during the winter.

I don't think 20 gal will hurt too much. I try to recycle all mine by taking it to the tire shop. I build a wagon for that purpose

To load a tire or not :blink: almost an oil thread. IMHO small tractors are useless without any ballast and at time dangerous. Has anyone in their youth felt a loaded wagon pushing a little tractor on a turn perhaps going a little too fast? a little tractor with bias ply tires plowing in moist soil is useless . I have seen many tractors at plow days in hard soil spinout in hard spots Yeah calcium is corrosive but if you are adding air regularly your tractor is telling you something unless it has radials they need fluid IMHO

no tractor of mine that gets used will have nothing in the tires

DSCI2230.JPG

• Like 1