Removing 1/2" top split bolt on left side of 86 starter

Red Tech

I have a lot of funny looking wrenches that I have heated and bent to serve a specific purpose.  I haven't yet figured out how to make one for the following purpose:

I am trying to remove the top left 1/2" split bolt from an 86 series tractor without removing the starter.

Have any of you figured out a way to remove it without removing the starter?

I am just doing a clutch job, so I don't need to remove the starter unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks, Red Tech

Do it all the time I used a 3/4 " 3/8 flex socket with about a 10" extension and a long handle snap on ratchet,  really not much of a problem for me.

• Like 1

Flex head socket and a multiple extensions, flex head ratchet. They are my goto for hard to get at situations. 1/4 drive in multiple various length extensions also are played with. My worst situation is previous tech used an impact wrench to TIGHTEN the fastener.

• Like 1

A normal short 3/8" drive socket.   The socket must be slim & short enough to clear the starter....thats key.   A 6-12" extension with a ball end that allows some swivel, then a step up to 1/2", another extension, and a ratchet.   Removing the cab floor plate helps, but you can get these from the battery access area with the right set of swivels and extensions and GLOVES to keep from skinning your knuckles!

Great suggestions about the 3/8" x 3/4" flex socket with extension; this worked great!

The only trouble was getting it broke loose because the previous mechanic (me) had tightened it too tight for a 3/8" flex-socket and extension to loosen it.

Luckily, I was able to get it broke loose a little bit with a box wrench in tight quarters.

Thanks all,

• Like 1

I use a combo of ball end extension and swivel socket

Snapon Swivel sockets, way to expensive but I would be without them. Use them everyday, wonder how many 15/16 ones they have replaced for me. Seems to be the one I use most. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CIHTECH said:

I use a combo of ball end extension and swivel socket

Snapon Swivel sockets, way to expensive but I would be without them. Use them everyday, wonder how many 15/16 ones they have replaced for me. Seems to be the one I use most. 

Same here😄

Western Truck and Tractor Repair on youtube split an 86 series in the field for a clutch. He pulled the starter to get at that bolt and it only took him a few minutes. Granted he's not a "native" IH guy but the way he went after it, it wasn't his first rodeo.

On 8/10/2022 at 8:49 PM, stronger800 said:

So you wear them out? Or break them?

Both. Have worn the six point socket of the swivel assy to the point of cracking. And broke the swivel once. Have not broke one on that splitting bolt though