Acrylic Urethane

vtfireman85

I have used the martin senor PCC system for years. I used the Acrylic Enamel on everything I could. Cost effective (ish), sprays decent and available in most colors you would want to spray, CAT yellow , IH red etc. i use it on the generator stands we build too. 2 coats of epoxy primer and 2.5 coats of color. 
Had 7 to do and needed paint and reducer so i went to Rutland and they haven’t been able to get much of the Acrylic Enamel, especially black for 170 days so far, but they could get me Acrylic urethane, uses the same reducers and hardeners so I figured I would try it.
The stuff is awesome to spray, goes on thin, like base /clear color coat, lays down exceptionally flat and doesn’t like to run. It also flattens out over time to gloss. So overspray, which i get a lot of on the stands kind of melts in. The nooks and crannies are easy to paint because it is so thin, and it leaves an awesome gloss. I can’t wait to try it on something like a fender or whatever. We don't clean all the mill scale off so these pictures don't do it justice. And i have some runs in the epoxy primer, but I really like this . Time will tell how it handles UV, but i am fairly optimistic. 

2C62CFED-D994-4848-AB9E-C43F8CC0CA48.jpeg

3D797477-EFC3-4EE1-9C00-51D7B24DE47D.jpeg

C6962F8E-CC02-45DB-83FC-AD57DE5E2DC6.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

What are you making?

Stands for standby generators. We encourage them because they really do make a big difference for the generators. Out of the snow and up off the ground. Easier to service too

Just now, vtfireman85 said:

Stands for standby generators. We encourage them because they really do make a big difference for the generators. Out of the snow and up off the ground. Easier to service too

The generacs are going in like crazy around here but everyone I have seen is on the ground.  We don't have the snow that you do.  I'm sure that would help with leaves too.

13 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

The generacs are going in like crazy around here but everyone I have seen is on the ground.  We don't have the snow that you do.  I'm sure that would help with leaves too.

All around general better health. 

17 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

Urethane is more durable

I was told that as well but the surface HAS to be clean, like sand blasted to white metal. That might have been if it was used as a one coat, with a good compatable primer that has a good bond I would think it would be ok.

12 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I was told that as well but the surface HAS to be clean, like sand blasted to white metal. That might have been if it was used as a one coat, with a good compatable primer that has a good bond I would think it would be ok.

The urethane is new to me, but the Epoxy primer is a good product and makes an excellent adhesion to both the base material and the paint. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, acem said:

Is urethane paint hazardous to breathe?

I think the reducers in pretty much all paint make it hazardous to breathe. I use a 3M paint respirator and ventilation fans contemplating getting supplied air.

If it's out in the sun, urethane is king. Company I worked for before I retired fabricated some of the fancy traffic light poles for a few intersections in Gilbert, Tempe and Phoenix. The only paint that did not chalk was urethane. Sample of light pole shown, not sure if this was one of ours or from a competitor.

ggpNCFt.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

Is the icon to the right of the green "Rural Road" sign, a "shout out" to the rainbow people?

It appears to be bent over and open "for business".

ggpNCFt.jpeg

We get them periodically, last round was 5-6 years ago. Dear lord. 15k of them at the peak. What a bloody mess. 

13 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

supplied air

Good plan. I'm sure I did my lungs no good spraying. No matter the charcoal mask fit it seems you always have leaks and colored snot.

1 hour ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Just curious, how do you do 2.5 coats of color?

I don't do a thorough job with the third coat, just hit the visible spots, top of the frame and bottom 2.5 ‘ of legs clean up the over spray and leave a semi acceptable finish. Kind of like the underside of your hood isn’t real glossy. 

5 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

Is the icon to the right of the green "Rural Road" sign, a "shout out" to the rainbow people?

It appears to be bent over and open "for business".

ggpNCFt.jpeg

Can't tell you, Art. We did the fabrication and the paint, not the installation, signage and electrical.

On edit, that is the City of Tempe logo in monotone.

It is kinda funny looking, I bet the city fathers never looked at it that way.

City_of_Tempe-logo-C943269245-seeklogo.com.gif

1 minute ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Interesting.  Is there a reason you put the open side of the V out on the angle iron legs?  Or is the shiny paint playing tricks on my eyes?

Ease of construction 

On 8/9/2022 at 10:56 PM, IHKeith said:

Do you find that the new paint smells like urinal cakes? I have noticed that.  Looks good!!!

I really haven’t smelled a lot of urinal cakes to be honest, am I missing out ?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2