Crap!

drglinski

I was moving my pop up camper around on Friday with my 147 and was pushing it backwards, felt the hydro lever give, then it freewheeled.  Movement from the lever didn't move the machine.  99% of the time the driveshaft pin snaps right at the flywheel.  No problem; I've got more pins.  

Pull the driveshaft shield off and pin looks good.    Hmm.....pulled the access cover on the fenders and found thisIMG_20220808_155817.thumb.jpg.80817643e66bbd33fc1a2eb11304cdde.jpg

IMG_20220808_155814.thumb.jpg.60ba18f5e264917a1d5857ed3932efab.jpg

Trunnion arm exited the chat.    🤦.  Thankfully I think I can get to repairing it with just pulling the fenders, AND I found the springs and keepers in the yard.   

-sigh- 

• Like 1

For that break the replacement square is worth it.   Use both new springs and new pin ends....they wear too.  No use doing it half way when you are this far.   Makes a HUGE difference!

BTW,  that trunion arm looks to have worn very crooked.   It helps to shim the triangular control plate on the shaft with machine washers so it doesn't flop around and wear crooked.  Also makes a big difference in the "precise" feel you get at the SR lever.

Thanks for the tips.  Not that long ago- 5 to 8 years or so- I pulled the rear and replaced all the rear end fluid with hytran, did the cork gasket, shimmed up the control plate like you suggested and put all new springs and pin ends in it.   I just hope my welding guy knows what he's doing as I don't have a welder yet.     (Going to wrap a cold wet towel around the trunnion arm to keep the seal from overheating).   

A friend of mine who has more experience welding than I do welded up a bracket for me today.   He's not proud of the appearance, however, I'm more concerned about the structural integrity since it won't really be seen.  It felt secure so I'm not worried about it.  

PXL_20220812_200152632.thumb.jpg.a5321015b07a24e65bce62d2854289f7.jpgPXL_20220812_200147307.thumb.jpg.240e6b63bbdd4cddac161fbccee466ac.jpg

Somebody had done a First Rate repair on that trunnion on my 982 before I got it, drilled two small holes and put a 1/8th inch diameter cotterpin towards the outside of the lever. When it broke luckily I didn't hit anything. I cut a replacement block from 1/4" thk steel and welded it on the lever. That's been about 20 years ago and it's still working fine. It's tough making square cornered holes but a small triangular file makes them O-K.

It's amazing what wears out first on these old Cub Cadets!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 11:30 AM, fbh31118 said:

I so need to do this repair on my wifes 782.  The parts are getting worn pretty bad.  

It really wasn't too hard to do. Between both of us (my cutting of the old and squaring the new) and him welding it on we got it figured out.   

• Like 1