Hummingbirds 2022

vtfireman85

I enjoy these little guys. Started the summer with 1 feeder, I like small feeders because they don't get nasty in the sun. Had 2 pair of birds in the spring, bu now in august i am up to 5 feeders and a gallon of syrup every 3 days. Often i fill feeders in the morning when I get up and have to fill some when i get home at night. Some days i don't have to fill them all, some i do. We have a horrible gazebo thing on our front porch that needs to be disassembled, and was going to be this spring, but all the feeders are hanging from it. It’s disgusting, broken and blocks the view, but the hummingbirds don’t seem to mind😂

the most i have accurately been able to count at one time is 10 but i feel we have more than that. Its rare they will calmly all just lite on a feeder and settle and sometimes it looks like a swarm of bees out there. Its to the point that they are landing on the feeders as i hang them up, before i have had a chance to let go😁

• Like 3

It's a good year for hummingbirds here also. My wife saw some of them surfing on a stream from a garden hose that was aimed up in the air for watering so it made an arc. We don't have a feeder just lots of plants, flowers etc. which have attracted a few of them.

We get a little air show every evening here.  They were a little late showing up this year, but we have several now. 

The males get a little territorial and keep an eye on their favorite feeder.  Very entertaining, and I believe they eat lots of flying bugs too.

My wife always has a couple of the feeders.  Usually we only have two or three birds each year though, but they are amazing to watch. Still have trouble believing they can migrate all the way to South America and back! Truly one of God's wonders.

• Like 2

Happy to see areas with the little birds. Haven't seen one in several years around here, I am thinking, currently just too dry around this area.

Ring neck doves also scarce. 

Have no idea of the official status, just based on my personal sightings. 

We have a big Honeysuckle Bush, Rose of Sharon and butterfly bush and two feeders around our deck.

Its like a Star Wars fighter war all day long

I think there are different tribes they chase each other off the feeders 

The males show up in May and hang out waiting for the females they all leave before October 

• Like 2

They must be able to get father on a tank of sugar than the book says. I have no idea how far to the next sucker like my wife. She buys sugar 20 and 30 pounds at a time. Has 4 or 5 feeders going here. Generally 2 full ones each morning, and makes them clean up last bit inside you cannot see. Sun is just down and they are making a last run, 15 to 20 of the little welfare buzzards. 

When a migration is bring more can look like the picture above.

• Haha 1

My great grandfather's place had hundreds. He built up the obsession over years. You'd walk out and stand on the porch and they'd swarm all around you. The air would vibrate. It was so cool. I think about him every time I see a hummingbird. We have a bunch, but probably less than a hundred. Five feeders and 1.5 quarts a day.

They're really, really cool. Have you seen a nest yet? They're hard to find. The birds are small to begin with and therefore lay small eggs, and only two at a time. Nests are between a 50 cent piece and a silver dollar in diameter. I've only seen one and it was at his farm.

I also held one once there. I've held a few wild birds and it's always cool, but the hummingbird was my favorite. She had gotten hung up and exhausted in herbs that were drying in the woodshop. As soon as I grabbed her she stopped trying to fly. I got her untangled and a little nectar on my finger (as Great Grandpa taught me) and held her about sixty seconds before she flew off. There's actually a cell phone photo of it somewhere.

095.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, KWRB said:

My great grandfather's place had hundreds. He built up the obsession over years. You'd walk out and stand on the porch and they'd swarm all around you. The air would vibrate. It was so cool. I think about him every time I see a hummingbird. We have a bunch, but originally less than a hundred. Five feeders and 1.5 quarts a day.

They're really, really cool. Have you seen a nest yet. They're hard to find. The birds are small to begin with and therefore lay small eggs, and only two at a time. Nests are between a 50 cent piece and a silver dollar in diameter. I've only seen one and it was at his farm.

I also held one once there. I've held a few wild birds and it's always cool, but the hummingbird was my favorite. She had gotten hung up and exhausted in herbs that were drying in the woodshop. As soon as I grabbed her she stopped trying to fly. I got her untangled and a little nectar on my finger (as Great Grandpa taught me) and held her about sixty seconds before she flew off. There's actually a cell phone photo of it somewhere.

095.JPG

Thats cool, I remember my grandparents had a nest at one point and the babies were itty bitty. Mom and dad had one get in the house one day. Finally landed on the screen , I managed to hold her wings and work a pencil or something between the screen and her toes to gently work them loose without hurting her. As you said, it took a while to get herself settled down and take off again. Super cool animals. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Traffic is down at my feeders they must be heading south

Was looking at King of Obsoletes web thread and he had the stove going in the shop the other night cause it was cold  

Mine too. And Suddenly, i pulled 2 yesterday, down to 4 feeders and maybe 6 birds 

• Like 1