Farmall H cultivators

ny bill o

I usually drag the 2 section rotary hoe behind me on the first pass. It eliminates some weeds without hurting the corn. Hit the corn about 2" tall.  The rear unit will not fit on the back with tires on 30" rows.

2 hours ago, ny bill o said:

Got them switched with some help from Mr Winch. I think it will make an OK tractor to take to the Corn Festival, along with my old hand corn sheller.

KIMG0132.thumb.JPG.b14cea77e2a94ea203fe2f5723e3011d.JPG

60876631_SuperCcults1.thumb.jpg.d0c56b0dcc36d1577995ed0713ad501c.jpg

I was thinking earlier a lot of IH attachments of that time period should really be mounted with the aid of a hoist or winch, cherry picker whatever. Lot safer and smarter probably. 

Glad you got it done Bill.

• Like 1

Only thing near good as a winch is two fifteen year old boys.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I was thinking earlier a lot of IH attachments of that time period should really be mounted with the aid of a hoist or winch, cherry picker whatever. Lot safer and smarter probably. 

Glad you got it done Bill.

at least from mounting them in the past, I knew about where to put the chain so they would balance. Got it right first time for both sides.

• Like 2

Cultivators on Tractors at shows create a traffic jam of curiosity. Just saying ! Be prepared !

• Like 2

22 hours ago, FarmallBob said:

I have a couple H's with 221 and 238 cultivators. 

Resized_20191103_135915.jpeg.jpg

Resized_20191103_135924.jpeg.jpg

Resized_20200701_194223.jpeg.jpg

Resized_20210407_142720.jpeg.jpg

Resized_20210407_142811.jpeg.jpg

I appreciate the fine job you can do with your cultivators in NEO clay , borders on an art and science of a fantastic job .

1 hour ago, Takn4aFool said:

neighbor has a M or SM...not sure which...with 6 row narrow row front mount cultivator on it....will probably coming up on auction soon since he passed away about 6 months ago

about 40 years ago, I was at a farm auction where the old guy had a 6 row JD cultivator on the front of a JD 530. he allowed as to how you wanted to keep the front tires aired up pretty good.

Here I’m at Pioneer Steam And Gas Society Show in the line to weigh tractors for tractor pull. 
The Farmall C with as complete set of cultivators as I can get it now weighs 4210 lbs. Was important to me for trailering information 

A02768A2-ACBE-4E5E-88CE-D2B4508B9E21.jpeg

• Like 2

The two row cultivator for the 52 John Deere B was easy to mount.  The B had that plate on the front that the front frame of the cultivator rode up on.  Once the front frame dropped in the groove each side could be picked up and swung in then bolted in place.  The lift was by the powertrol, so the long rods were put in place and your done!  The rear gangs mounted on the rear axles and slotted for the bolts.  They were individually mounted and lifted by chains off the powertrol.  As a young teenager  I could mount it.  Now mounting the 461 on the Super MTA was another matter.  You needed about three people to lift each side in place and bolt it up.  The 461 didn't stand up like the John Deere and Dad had to create a stand of some sort to keep the 461 stable in storage and when mounting/un-mounting.

Bill

10 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

Here I’m at Pioneer Steam And Gas Society Show in the line to weigh tractors for tractor pull. 
The Farmall C with as complete set of cultivators as I can get it now weighs 4210 lbs. Was important to me for trailering information 

A02768A2-ACBE-4E5E-88CE-D2B4508B9E21.jpeg

Correction , I’m 220 so it’s 3990 actually, I’m trying 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, ny bill o said:

about 40 years ago, I was at a farm auction where the old guy had a 6 row JD cultivator on the front of a JD 530. he allowed as to how you wanted to keep the front tires aired up pretty good.

He must have only farmed downhill with that set up. 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

Correction , I’m 220 so it’s 3990 actually, I’m trying 

In addition to the weight , i was at the Lake Farm Parks show in Kirkland . They have a balence trailer , I drove the Farmall C with cultivators up on the trailer to see if I could balance it, ,I did it. Which I thought that was a pretty difficult feat. 
But what was more important to me , I told the trailer operators to tell me where the trailer pivot was on the tractor . I told them it was important to me so now when I load it on my trailer I know where to balence the tractor on the trailer for the the best ride , I hate to have my ride off because the loader isn’t center . 
so for your information it right in line vertical with rear tire. 

9F7FF3AE-55A8-4F59-AEE6-E5E3B3E1F366.jpeg

• Like 3