Farmall H cultivators

ny bill o

Anybody have pictures of cultivators mounted on a Farmall H? Thinking of putting some I rescued from the junkman on my 1940 H, but don't think I have all the lift parts and linkages. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

Anybody have pictures of cultivators mounted on a Farmall H? Thinking of putting some I rescued from the junkman on my 1940 H, but don't think I have all the lift parts and linkages. 

Hey bill. I similarly saved a set a few years ago and I don't have an H or an M. I was planning on getting a set for the C and found a mounted plow I like better. If you're missing any pieces, let me know and I'll go look. You can have whatever you need.

• Like 1

Great video, thanks.

I have a right and left assembly like this.

1767837369_2003-02-0414_18_06.thumb.jpg.36e7b1034b04dd3474b13cfd49524393.jpg

Also have the 2 hydraulic cylinders from a different source, but no mounting bases. And no rear gang.

Local corn festival coming up at the end of the month. Looking for something different to take.

3 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

Great video, thanks.

I have a right and left assembly like this.

1767837369_2003-02-0414_18_06.thumb.jpg.36e7b1034b04dd3474b13cfd49524393.jpg

Also have the 2 hydraulic cylinders from a different source, but no mounting bases. And no rear gang.

Local corn festival coming up at the end of the month. Looking for something different to take.

I'm virtually certain I have the rear. I'm headed over there right now. I'll look.

• Like 2

after watching some of this 

I'm thinking that will be me, less the young man to help. Maybe I will reconsider the H idea. 😬

• Sad 1

I've discovered that IH made a few different types of cultivators for the letter series.    Dad has a 2 row and a 4 that he used to mount himself on his H.   Said it took him half a day at least to do alone.   

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

I'm thinking that will be me, less the young man to help. Maybe I will reconsider the H idea. 😬

one guy can do it. I have but two is nicer. once you know how to do it its not hard at all. . I haven't done it for 15 years and still won't shy away from it. backhoe not required nor loader I want to do it again someday. I will time myself🤓

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, drglinski said:

I've discovered that IH made a few different types of cultivators for the letter series.    Dad has a 2 row and a 4 that he used to mount himself on his H.   Said it took him half a day at least to do alone.   

I can easily believe that.  Before he bought a JD Quik-Tatch cultivator, the JD two-row cultivator that he had for the un-styled JD "A", involved standing it up, lifting it up (I cannot remember if it had hooks to hang it off the frame I'm sure it must have had), or if you had to lift the gang up with one hand, and try to line up the bolt holes, and start the bolts with the other.

2 minutes ago, hillman said:

one guy can do it. I have but two is nicer. once you know how to do it its not hard at all. . I haven't done it for 15 years and still won't shy away from it. backhoe not required nor loader I want to do it again someday. I will time myself🤓

So many YouTube videos are totally ruined by over dramatic BULLSH*T, with either idiotic 'music' or breathless narration, as to make them unwatchable.

There are a very, very few that can make their narration interesting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

NY Bill: I have a owners manual that is for McCormick-Deering Farmall Cultivator No.HM221  Set up and operating. Book is complete. Bad side: The outer pages have grease stains on them. Pappaw never wiped his hand off before opening manual.😌 Inside pages look great. If this would help you send me address and it's yours. Pembroke

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ny bill o said:

If you can get by without the H mount those cultivators and leave them mounted for all time . I should have a set of the rear axle brackets for the cylinder to hook up . I would like to eventually get a set of 4 row for the 450 LP 

I have a set of cultivators on my grandads h. I will have to look to see what model it is. I have the book. It took 3 of us the first time. Dad had seen it on the tractor when he was young. I had never seen it on the tractor and my son was willing to help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bitty said:

If you can get by without the H mount those cultivators and leave them mounted for all time . I should have a set of the rear axle brackets for the cylinder to hook up . I would like to eventually get a set of 4 row for the 450 LP 

That will be in the future, maybe for the other H. The 1940 gets used for plow day every year.

712905019_AmedeoCiminion1940FarmallH.thumb.jpg.1abddc4d883db713ad6f9d53bd6076cf.jpg

Plan B involves these cultivators, but not Old Rusty 200. Cults are a bit too much for me to move by myself. They must have gotten heavier in the last 10 years, think I put them on by myself back then...

1229306448_2022-08-0719_57_36.thumb.jpg.2e06f58bbbb10d896ab50eab597d200f.jpg

I spent a couple hours in the shade today, getting the Touch Control working correctly on the Super C in the background. That is where the cults are getting moved to when I get some help. I actually used these this year on some sweet corn that had spray escape.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

That will be in the future, maybe for the other H. The 1940 gets used for plow day every year.

712905019_AmedeoCiminion1940FarmallH.thumb.jpg.1abddc4d883db713ad6f9d53bd6076cf.jpg

Plan B involves these cultivators, but not Old Rusty 200. Cults are a bit too much for me to move by myself. They must have gotten heavier in the last 10 years, think I put them on by myself back then...

1229306448_2022-08-0719_57_36.thumb.jpg.2e06f58bbbb10d896ab50eab597d200f.jpg

I spent a couple hours in the shade today, getting the Touch Control working correctly on the Super C in the background. That is where the cults are getting moved to when I get some help. I actually used these this year on some sweet corn that had spray escape.

You ever run across a set for a 230 (no touch control, hydraulic cylinder instead) I wouldn't mind having a set . Might be only the part that the hydraulic cylinder attached to that's different? If so I can adapt one of the sets I have for a C-200 . 

Edit added screenshot of the difference. I have two of the under fuel tank brackets 

Screenshot_20220421-163550.png

Screenshot_20220421-163346.png

• Like 1

You guys are inspiring me to go through the cultivators I bought for my H.  They were at a neighbors sale last year.  I gave $25 for them and they still sit in the shed where they were sold from.  I think I'm missing the one mounting bracket.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

You guys are inspiring me to go through the cultivators I bought for my H.  They were at a neighbors sale last year.  I gave $25 for them and they still sit in the shed where they were sold from.  I think I'm missing the one mounting bracket.

which mounting bracket? the front one? I think I have an extra but not sure what side

cult.jpg

10 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

I can easily believe that.  Before he bought a JD Quik-Tatch cultivator, the JD two-row cultivator that he had for the un-styled JD "A", involved standing it up, lifting it up (I cannot remember if it had hooks to hang it off the frame I'm sure it must have had), or if you had to lift the gang up with one hand, and try to line up the bolt holes, and start the bolts with the other.

The early ones were basically two pieces a left and a right. As I understand it they were very difficult to mount. I had a later one that I used to cultivate tobacco with. It was hinged. I put one side on and then fold the other around. I could put it on the 720 by myself in about 15 minutes. There’s not much I miss about raising tobacco, but I did enjoy cultivating it. 

Ours had the braces that went up to the bracket that was bolted just under the Farmall emblem.

The braces slid over a pin with a cotter key in each arm.

The bracket stayed on the tractor.

Just like some of the pictures here.

Never knew what model that was.

I know a two row cultivator, in second gear, in new corn, took forever to cultivate.

Second trip was third gear with no shields and the third trip was 4th gear, as fast as you could go.

I'm familiar with and have seen the 238/438 and the HM250.  But have never seen the 221 that FarmallBob pictured.  My Dad has talked about a cultivator his Dad had on an F20 that "steered" like that does.  Looks to me like that cultivator hangs along way forward and would make it steer a little harder.

Got them switched with some help from Mr Winch. I think it will make an OK tractor to take to the Corn Festival, along with my old hand corn sheller.

KIMG0132.thumb.JPG.b14cea77e2a94ea203fe2f5723e3011d.JPG

60876631_SuperCcults1.thumb.jpg.d0c56b0dcc36d1577995ed0713ad501c.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

I cultivated sweet corn on 30" rows with a C221 cultivator on a wide front Farmall C.

that is what I did a few days ago. Patch of quackgrass showed up in some late sweet corn. At least I made the quack feel bad.

• Like 2