9mm inaccuracy, gun or ammunition?

vtfireman85

Between coats of paint yesterday i was trying to sight in a Ruger SR9 i have been sitting on ( I bought a few of them at one point) 9mm nato. I went through 117 rounds and it was just all over the place. I am not an amazing marksman but i can line up 3 dots on the same spot repeatedly and pull the trigger. It was anywhere for 8” high right to 5”low left and everywhere in between. Other of these guns i have aren’t like this. Do I likely have a bad gun? Or bad ammunition? Could I change to Novak sights? 
was shooting Winchester 9mm nato and i didn’t have anything different to try just then. 

3 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Between coats of paint yesterday i was trying to sight in a Ruger SR9 i have been sitting on ( I bought a few of them at one point) 9mm nato. I went through 117 rounds and it was just all over the place. I am not an amazing marksman but i can line up 3 dots on the same spot repeatedly and pull the trigger. It was anywhere for 8” high right to 5”low left and everywhere in between. Other of these guns i have aren’t like this. Do I likely have a bad gun? Or bad ammunition? Could I change to Novak sights? 
was shooting Winchester 9mm nato and i didn’t have anything different to try just then. 

Lisa says her SR9 is accurate. We have never had a Ruger that didn’t shoot the same place every time. May not be where I thought it should be, but always in the same spot. 
I am guessing it is in the ammo. Try Luger round instead. 

• Like 1

is it broken in?  I have experienced new guns that needed to be shot a bit to get them consistent.  Also another question is how big is the group?  It sounds like you are experiencing a 14 inch edge to edge group.

I know there have been some issues with reliability as ammo mfg have scrambled to put rounds out the door. I also have never seen a Ruger centerfire semi-auto that I was impressed with accuracy wise. Before the flaming starts, that is my opinion after shooting several of the “P” variants over the years.  The newer “SR” could be better possibly.  Ruger .22 autos are 180° the other way in my book. 

Several yrs ago my wife bought me a bargain box of 22 LR from WalMart.  I was shooting Nutria in the swamp from the pickup window (excellent prop).

Shots jumped around all over-----I could hear the differences in the load.  (some no louder than a mouse fart).

Back to my high velocity 22 LR (more expensive cartridges)------immediately back on target.

DD

• Like 2

Might also be an odd thing about the grip shape and you getting a consistent purchase on it.

That said, some days I'm a dead eye and some days I'm just dead.   Good suggestions above about trying a rest for consistency and about shooting it in some.

Good luck with it.

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

I know there have been some issues with reliability as ammo mfg have scrambled to put rounds out the door. I also have never seen a Ruger centerfire semi-auto that I was impressed with accuracy wise. Before the flaming starts, that is my opinion after shooting several of the “P” variants over the years.  The newer “SR” could be better possibly.  Ruger .22 autos are 180° the other way in my book. 

100% agree had an SR40 that was so so at best.....but I will say their new 1911s are straight shooters, they do impress me.  MK line of rimfire pistols are always solid shooters!

Most likely is the ammo more specific the grain of the bullet.  Try a heavier grain  bullet and see how it shots.       Roy.  

6 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Several yrs ago my wife bought me a bargain box of 22 LR from WalMart.  I was shooting Nutria in the swamp from the pickup window (excellent prop).

Shots jumped around all over-----I could hear the differences in the load.  (some no louder than a mouse fart).

Back to my high velocity 22 LR (more expensive cartridges)------immediately back on target.

DD

I bought some kind of no name brand when they was hard to get some barely made a sound I was afraid one wasn’t going to make out the barrel. Thru rest in trash.

1 hour ago, Triple r 706 said:

Most likely is the ammo more specific the grain of the bullet.  Try a heavier grain  bullet and see how it shots.       Roy.  

9mm nato is 124 grain FMJ with +p equivalent load. 

Just now, vtfireman85 said:

Then drop back to a 115gr load. Also the +p itself may be an issue.

If the Ruger is the issue they will prolly take care of it for you.

I had a GP100 in .357 that shot poorly, sent it in and it would drive tacks when it returned.

What distance?

I'd give the gun a good looking over for any problems then try different ammo. Something std like Winchester white box 9mm nato.

Good luck and let us know.

Thx-Ace 

1 hour ago, acem said:

What distance?

I'd give the gun a good looking over for any problems then try different ammo. Something std like Winchester white box 9mm nato.

Good luck and let us know.

Thx-Ace 

That’s what I was shooting. I am going to get some 115 grain luger, clean it and try again. I tried 30 yards and 10. 10 was a little tighter, but no less erratic. 

• Like 1

I'm gonna say ammo. I got alot of of Ruger handguns including the SR9 and never had a problem. I got their 1911 in 9mm a couple weeks ago and will day that it is really nice but I'm 1911 nut and like my hammer fire handguns. Good luck trying differ ammo. Let know the results.

21 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Or bad ammunition?

I would bet bad or not the best ammo for it.  Have a 9mm S&W did the same thing.  Cousin and an agent couldn’t group with it. Sent it out and S&W said was fine and sent back sheet with it.  Used their recommended ammo after I called back and grouping was fine.  Same brand bu Grain made a big difference.

I have a gun that did not shoot factory very well

shoots reloaded cast lead fine

after I found the right combination of components

Mike

14 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I agree with others try something light then. Also none +p. Or no FMJ.  Could be any of them causing the inconsistency. You might have to buy multiple boxes of different brands to find something it likes. Good luck.   Roy 

30 yards is a pretty long distance for a carry gun. Even my big frame revolvers are terribly hard to hold a tight group at that distance. Mainly do to operator error. That’s what I have rifles for.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

30 yards is a pretty long distance for a carry gun. Even my big frame revolvers are terribly hard to hold a tight group at that distance. Mainly do to operator error. That’s what I have rifles for.  

I agree. 

might even try some 147gr stuff. I know it can be hard to find but I know it’s out there and shoots pretty well most of the time. 

37 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I agree. 

might even try some 147gr stuff. I know it can be hard to find but I know it’s out there and shoots pretty well most of the time. 

My 9mm's all seem to prefer 147gr stuff.