For Lorenzo

jass1660

Now I know to each there own…but that cab over with that long wheelbase just looks terrible to me. 

I was told once the only nice thing about a cab over is you will be the 1st thing to the crash scene.

Looks even stranger without a sleeper, saw 2 CO'S in the city yesterday, looked like they were traveling together 

Dad had a roll off/paper fiber truck that had been converted to pull that looked a lot like the one pictured.

Someone probably stretched it. 

no thanks,  i wanted a short wheelbase day cab and it works perfectly for what i need it for. There not for everyone  and i surely wouldnt want to go coast to coast in it.AC359093-1342-4A1F-ABA6-0FF2E50B9E03.thumb.jpeg.71e674a682774e3d03c85d41748c8dbc.jpeg

• Like 6

@lorenzo this was at our county fair last year. I don’t remember what it loaded out sheep, goats, or hogs. 
702C1A1C-B934-4A1B-8994-E78957C4D6D5.thumb.jpeg.2e51f74ff81ebc6b974d59f7ff26c3c3.jpeg

• Like 1

So here is a question. I know cabovers are notorious backbreakers. And I know long wheelbase helps to smooth out a ride. But wouldn’t a long wheelbase cab over just put all that bounce on the front axel where you ride?  

Remember that the heyday of  cabovers was the 60s and 70s. The interstates were new Back then and very smooth to the best of my memory. They fell apart in a 80s and 90s. Thx-Ace 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jass1660 said:

full-8162-341348-d769945a7f3227ccc4168d0ace330dee.png.2c0bb1343176c8056f0451808f54614c.png

Still a few of the COE's working here.

But like Lorenzo's, shorter wheelbase.

There is a nice one I see on 83 pulling a pot.

Not a full restoration but very clean and looks well taken care of.

And he is running same bull hauler speed as everyone else 😄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1256pickett said:

So here is a question. I know cabovers are notorious backbreakers. And I know long wheelbase helps to smooth out a ride. But wouldn’t a long wheelbase cab over just put all that bounce on the front axel where you ride?  

I have no experience with big cab overs but with the smaller ones it depends on who did it.  An Isuzu JCR you just about needed a "Holy Mackerel Handle", a smaller Mitsubishi Canter wasn't quite as bad and a Mitsubishi FK 115 (in which I've done most of my sitting) was quite tolerable.

In bigger trucks the current MANNs seem to have abandoned the "pain for driver before pain for truck" recipe and allow ridiculous speeds on awful roads.  One son is a heavy equipment fixer and they are not his nomination for "truck of the week" under those conditions.

And a "For Lorenzo"

They stopped making the Oz Falcons here a few years ago.  A son tells me that the Barra engines used in the last ones (4 litre dohc vv timing, some turboed) - the one someone (maybe you) posted the photo of a glowing engine on test at 1130 hp.  Seems they are getting scarce here as they've being exported, including to US.  No idea what for.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

I wonder what its original purpose was?

No doubt originally much shorter. 
Day cabs like this one pictured were very common during the time period of 55 MPH Speed limit, interstate maximum length regulations and maximum weight regulations . 
Mine spent its life married to a drop deck quad axel low boy hauling heavy equipment mostly a back hoe in the long beach California area where it stayed within a few miles of its home base. I bought it there. Its geared with 4:11 rears so getting an overloaded triple axel grain trailer out of the field can easily be done without undue stress on the machine. I wont be setting any speed records with the ol gal but that was never a consideration.  

Loading docks, Sea ports, short deliveries in commercial districts, construction projects, ect…. ect..   

Thousands and thousands of these were built.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

No doubt originally much shorter. 
Day cabs like this one pictured were very common during the time period of 55 MPH Speed limit, interstate maximum length regulations and maximum weight regulations . 
Mine spent its life married to a drop deck quad axel low boy hauling heavy equipment mostly a back hoe in the long beach California area where it stayed within a few miles of its home base. I bought it there. Its geared with 4:11 rears so getting an overloaded triple axel grain trailer out of the field can easily be done without undue stress on the machine. I wont be setting any speed records with the ol gal but that was never a consideration.  

Loading docks, Sea ports, short deliveries in commercial districts, construction projects, ect…. ect..   

Thousands and thousands of these were built.

Looks good and sounds like a heavy spec truck does it have lockers too?

The COEs were popular with the bed bugging company's in the late 70' early 80's.

We had them at North American with the small sleeper

They were a little easier to get around with when you have a fixed axle trailer than the conventional  

The cracker box day cabs were either pulling doubles or were some kind of tool carrier  

• Like 1

Cabovers are making a comeback. The kids want one like Grandpa drove, or maybe something different. I see a few hauling fat cattle, and it is young guys driving them. 
I did my time in 3 different ones, and I don’t ever want to have to climb up into one, or have to lay down to put my britches on ever again. 

• Like 3

This is the cabover I drove for a couple of years within a 500 radius of where I live. 1984 Peterbilt 

20151230_085343.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Howard_P said:

Troy was at the Harvester Homecoming show at the former IH Engineering Center in Fort Wayne yesterday as was this other CO-Transtar.1593674366_CO-4070B1971TroyLink.thumb.JPG.e2d7d3e3a3bad613bb1656a53648103b.JPG1018372903_CO-4070BHH2022.thumb.JPG.a10ad0793e3327aea3bf4c5bad4c1d19.JPG

Any specs on the truck they didn't list them on FB

• Like 1