Reloading??

Twolines

Im guessing with the recent firearms posts itd be ok to start a reloading thread? 

Im kind of just getting started but actually opened the door a few years ago. Id like to bs and ask questions in this post and encourage any others that are curious to post here too.

For about 6 months ive been trying to obtain certain powders with no luck. Today wife and i drove 120 miles and scored! While it wasnt exactly what i was looking for it will certainly fill the void. Pardon the mess...trying to reorganize.20220805_151450.thumb.jpg.9e38882604c88b3de69db013eaca3c46.jpg

• Like 3

We used to reload LOTS of 38 and 40. I have dies for 9mm, 38, 40, 44, 30-30, and 7mm. Might have 223 also. Life got busy, powder got hard to get, and I don’t shoot near like I used to. Used to be common to go through a couple hundred rounds a day. Now, I bet I haven’t shot 200 rounds in a year, and most of them are 22mags. 

• Like 1

Id say even with the lack of supplies, keeping ur equipment is a smart move..prices for presses and such has gone up just since i got into it.

At this point i just need to find my #10 shell holder and make a decision on some 223 bullets. Could still use a few small pistol primers though. I think my count is 6-700 hundred lol.

I've been interested in it but have never dove in.  Im going to guess it is cost effective vs purchasing ammo at this point?  My son and I recently stopped at Cabelas.  No 22-250, no 7mm-08, no 357sig.  Plenty of core calibers in stock. Guess I should have gotten into reloading.

Don't ask me how many calibers I reload.  I have stocked up over the years and still have plenty of everything.  Been working on a black powder sharps in 40-65 and a 56-50 Spencer replica lately.  Casting bullets in the South Alabama heat can be fun.   I reload everything but rim fires.  I have also been working on a Uberti in 41 Colt.   I been trying both the heel-based and hollow based bullets.  I cast both.  Looks like the heel-based loads with unique will be the one going forward.  They are a pain to load though.  Have to shorten case and then use a special die to crimp.  Looks like a big 22 rim fire.  Keith called the 41 Colt the ultimate fight stopper.

Bill

41 Colt_002.JPG

41-colt bullets.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I enjoy reloading. I do 9MM, 357SIG, 38S/357Mag, 45ACP and 50GI in pistol. In rifle it's 223/5.56, 270, 300 Blackout, 30.30, 30.06, 350 Legend and 458 SOCOM. 12 and 20 in shot shell. I don't shoot as much as I'd like to either but still go through a couple of thousand rounds a year. 

I got lucky with powder buying 8 pound bottles just before the hoarding began. I got 1 each of pistol, small rifle and large rifle. Already had several pounds of shotgun powder. I've done pretty good on primers too. Enough so that I gave a BIL 500 shot shell primers. My basic rule of thumb is to grab what I can when I can but only at reasonable prices. Been averaging about 6-8 bucks a box the last year or so. I've seen some people gouging at 14-20 or so a box.

Rick 

An rcbs is a good press. We have a rockchucker and a dillon. Love them both. Now i need to find dies for 220 wilson arrow. I have the barrel just looking for a donor winchester model 70 so i can shoot it!

• Thanks 1

I have been reloading shotgun shells since I was 12 and rifle/pistol since I got out of college. I honestly don’t mess with the 9mm and other semi-auto pistol rounds. I reload for accuracy in rifles mostly and hard to find things I had (before the boating accident) Throw in some 38/357 for fun once in a while.  

Depending on your .223 look at Sierra 1390 bullets. They are a 55 grain boat tail HP and fly really sweet from my experience. Find a Sierra manual and start with the “accuracy load”. It normally is a great starting point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I have been reloading shotgun shells since I was 12 and rifle/pistol since I got out of college. I honestly don’t mess with the 9mm and other semi-auto pistol rounds. I reload for accuracy in rifles mostly and hard to find things I had (before the boating accident) Throw in some 38/357 for fun once in a while.  

Depending on your .223 look at Sierra 1390 bullets. They are a 55 grain boat tail HP and fly really sweet from my experience. Find a Sierra manual and start with the “accuracy load”. It normally is a great starting point. 

Todd is spot on once again!

• Thanks 1

Ya ive got quite a few...some ill probly never use like 7.7 jap. Ive got some boxes to go through yet and hoping my rcbs carbide 38/357 set is in there, cant seem to find them. 

Anyone ever heard of wells or ch?20220805_170407.thumb.jpg.2f0bf13ab7d11114ff2fe4015a0f8a78.jpg20220805_170337.thumb.jpg.d21ba3c663b8bdbb16ac473120bc83a8.jpg

Hobbyfarm, i dont think its too late to get into it. The initial investment is a bit much but good used stuff is there every time i look. Once uve got ur line set up u can then collect components as they become available. 

I still think its cost effective...i havnt actually done the math but i know ill get a lot more, better quality shots than i can with boxed ammo. 

Another way to look at it is like mentioned above, people enjoy it. It can be a hobby that not only pays off but provides satisfaction whether it be on paper or in the woods. 

Sledgehammer, how do u think those would go through an ar platform?..18" barrel, not sure of twist.

When I did it, I found it kind of relaxing, plus, it kept your mind from wandering, as, although I had a Hornady progressive press, I weighed out each load manually.

I also had a "fall back" Lee single stage, that for some reason, I used for decapping the fired cartridges.

NOW is the time to be buying reloading equipment, and AS MANY components as you can come across, as who knows what the FEDS are going to be coming after next.

• Like 1

I too have 1 single stage set up for decapping, a #big? Rcbs single stage for rifle loads and then came across an old lyman turret press for pistol loads. I like my system but have been thinking of picking up a primer press.. ive thought about a progressive but i think im into the methodical clunking and kachinking of each round.

4 hours ago, Twolines said:

Sledgehammer, how do u think those would go through an ar platform?..18" barrel, not sure of twist.

I think they should fly through a normal 1:7, 1:8, or 1:9 twist just fine personally.  Extra barrel length might rein in groups a little bit and get you a hair more speed but most AR style platforms are right around 16-18” any more and I doubt you see any differences.
The #1390 bullet is also my go-to for 22-250.  Normal posted accuracy load straight from the Sierra manual in the 22-250 will put 3 shots touching at 100yds from my gun. 

• Thanks 1

Only Shotgun shells here. MEC jr. I've got plenty of shot and some powder on hand but primers are apparently made of unobtainium.

My kid is back at Boston base so I  have someone to shoot with.

9 hours ago, 660 driver said:

An rcbs is a good press. We have a rockchucker and a dillon. Love them both. Now i need to find dies for 220 wilson arrow. I have the barrel just looking for a donor winchester model 70 so i can shoot it!

.220 wilson arrow, interesting. Had to look that up on the Google, thought I remembered hearing that name but it was a fuzzy memory. I've got about 600 rounds of new swift brass if you get it going and need some.

6 hours ago, Twolines said:

Ya ive got quite a few...some ill probly never use like 7.7 jap. Ive got some boxes to go through yet and hoping my rcbs carbide 38/357 set is in there, cant seem to find them. 

Anyone ever heard of wells or ch?20220805_170407.thumb.jpg.2f0bf13ab7d11114ff2fe4015a0f8a78.jpg20220805_170337.thumb.jpg.d21ba3c663b8bdbb16ac473120bc83a8.jpg

Never heard of Wells but C&H are good dies.

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

Only Shotgun shells here. MEC jr. I've got plenty of shot and some powder on hand but primers are apparently made of unobtainium.

My kid is back at Boston base so I  have someone to shoot with.

I have run thousands of rounds through a Mec 600 Jr..

I had a 1 1/2 Oz load of #4's in AA cases for my Pheasant loads that were deadly. Used HS6 for powder.

A great press and I still have it!

I run a 12 gauge and 20 gauge MEC Sizemaster........cranks out great trap loads on WW hulls!!!!

Also have a Hornady progressive for pistol and rifle.    Many times it gets used like a single stage too.