1953 Louisville Super M

wjohn

I bought this tractor about a month ago and asked some questions on the hand clutch, but figured I should keep track of other things in a separate project thread while I get it operational. The tractor did not run and I was told it had "TA" issues when I bought it. I'm an AC guy but I quickly figured out before I bought it that it does not have a TA, ha. So, my first focus was the hand clutch. It had a homemade cover plate on it that didn't hold position of the throwout bearing very well. Got a replacement cover and put that on there, adjusted the nut on the hand clutch, and then went to working on getting it running to test things out.

One issue was no spark. I found the coil wired backwards (or probably as original, since the tractor was converted to 12V negative ground at some point) and then I swapped some ignition parts over from one of my ACs and ultimately removing the condenser gave me weak spark. I ordered a whole Tisco ignition kit and installed that, and finally had decent spark. Poured gas in, pulled the choke, and the tractor started right up. It drives forward and backwards pretty well now so I'm hoping the hand clutch was just in need of adjustment and the right cover.

Now that I've gotten it to drive, I need to go through the rest of the tractor. I went through the owner's manual and looked over the tractor and came up with the list below, but being new to these red tractors, is there anything I've missed that commonly needs replaced?

SAE 30 engine oil & Filter + change air cleaner oil and clean out mesh as needed

80W-90 oil for transmission

Some sort of hydraulic fluid for engine-driven hydraulic system

Air intake hoses

PTO shaft seal

Coolant and hoses

Fan & Alternator belts

Carb kit

Valve cover gasket

Distributor felt seal (already replaced rest of ignition parts)

I have a number of other things that are lower priority (gauges, drawbar roller, switches, wiring, seat parts, etc.) that I plan on getting in the near future.

1953 Super M.jpeg

• Like 1

I should state my goal for this tractor is to get it operational and caught up on maintenance - no paint or anything fancy at this point in time. I have about 20 acres of tillable to mess around with and I plan on disking with this tractor, and a few miles of brush cutting to do to make firebreaks for prescribed burning.

Here's the SN plate for documentation.

SM SN.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice machine.  I like that live hydraulic pump.

Those old tires on there should perform pretty well at the local farm stock tractor pull (assuming you have one close by).  Your Super M should be able to get down into the 5500 lb class easily enough, if you're interested in such things.

We have a Louisville Super M as well.  Dead reliable, sweet running old tractor.

Good luck with yours.  You'll get it sorted out soon enough.  

20210903_161214.jpg

• Like 1

TN Hillbilly, so far I just never have been able to get too interested in pulling. Nothing against it but give me a choice between a pull and a plow day, and I'll be at the plow day. Who knows though... After I get this tractor fully operational, maybe I'll give it a whirl. Your tractor looks great with much less sun time on the paint than mine!

On 8/6/2022 at 5:05 PM, Sam_SWIN said:

Looks like a fairly straight tractor. I always wanted one with hand clutch and 9 speed. 

A 9-speed would be cool. Honestly if I'd had a choice I would've rather not had the hand clutch on this tractor (due to parts availability - and probably not needing to do much PTO work) but if it keeps working fine, then I'm happy to have it.

On 8/7/2022 at 11:52 PM, wjohn said:

TN Hillbilly, so far I just never have been able to get too interested in pulling. Nothing against it but give me a choice between a pull and a plow day, and I'll be at the plow day. Who knows though... After I get this tractor fully operational, maybe I'll give it a whirl. Your tractor looks great with much less sun time on the paint than mine!

Agree totally. However, there aren't near enough plow-days around me to feed the appetite. Pulling helps and has a certain addictive quality to it!