Jump to content

Fuel tanks


Recommended Posts

In what year did International Harvester put fuel tanks behind the driver? I'm thinking the mid 70's. Why did they start? It's seems odd since fuel lines will be running under  the driver. 

Thanks for your responses!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When they designed the 86 series they went to rear fuel tanks 77 first year for them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 86 series was the first to make wide spread use of rear tanks so whenever they came out..77? 78? 

Moving the tank back allowed moving the driver forward. The idea was to create a better ride for the driver. Has been much debate here in the past as to if it really was better or not. Allis did the same with the D21 and xt 190 starting in the 60s.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

September 1976 was the introduction of the 86 series. 

However didn't the 54/74 series have rear mounted tanks and weren't they introduced in the early 70s?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe the rear fuel tank came from the European design that came into the American Market with the 454 Utility introduced in  the late 60's.

Our 464, it was followed by numerous different engine,wheel base, tire size models,  is a model number upgrade from the 454, believe sold in 73, that model had a very long model run in the USA.

My complaint is there is no way to accurately see a rear mounted equipment because the FT is in the way, especially bad for a rear mounted cultivator. BUT for bush-hogging or ground turning it is not an issue.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, planejeff said:

In what year did International Harvester put fuel tanks behind the driver? I'm thinking the mid 70's. Why did they start? It's seems odd since fuel lines will be running under  the driver. 

Thanks for your responses!

Are you talking about trucks or tractors? 

Since we're talking 86 series, the reason why they moved the tank behind the driver is because they moved the operator's platform forward. Where the fuel tank was on a 1066, is where the dashboard was on a 1086. There was no place else to put the tank by 1970's standards. Deere still had the tank up front, but there was no room to do that on the IH without changing the styling. Putting tanks under the cab was not common practice yet.

On trucks, putting the fuel tank behind the driver's seat was standard industry practice for decades. I assume they put the tank there because of convenience, until a enough people died in firey crashes, then they put it on the frame rail under the bed.

Far as fuel lines running under the driver, almost every vehicle made after the Model T had fuel lines running under the driver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the driver forward design allows a straighter pathway to the seat from the ground. If you drew an aerial map of the pathway to get in the seat earlier tractors had the body maneuvering around tires , steering wheel etc . Ideal place for fuel is 1/3 way front of the rear axle towards the front so weight distribution is the same if full or empty 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JI Case 1030 Comfort King had the fuel tank behind the driver, the 830 Comfort King had the fuel tank  on the other side of the dash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Are you talking about trucks or tractors? 

Since we're talking 86 series, the reason why they moved the tank behind the driver is because they moved the operator's platform forward. Where the fuel tank was on a 1066, is where the dashboard was on a 1086. There was no place else to put the tank by 1970's standards. Deere still had the tank up front, but there was no room to do that on the IH without changing the styling. Putting tanks under the cab was not common practice yet.

On trucks, putting the fuel tank behind the driver's seat was standard industry practice for decades. I assume they put the tank there because of convenience, until a enough people died in firey crashes, then they put it on the frame rail under the bed.

Far as fuel lines running under the driver, almost every vehicle made after the Model T had fuel lines running under the driver.

I had many pickups with the fuel tank behind the seat,had zero problems and they were better than metal ones underneath the truck.I had two with underneath and they rusted out.I also never heard of one person getting killed by a tank igniting,I am nit saying it didn't happen.I know the thought of having that gas behind you in the cab now kinda gives me second thoughts now but then no. I think more the idea of having gas in the cab with people smoking probably gave the insurance guys for the auto manufacturers nightmares.Government safety nuts also probably thought they had to put a stop to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

September 1976 was the introduction of the 86 series. 

However didn't the 54/74 series have rear mounted tanks and weren't they introduced in the early 70s?

Yes they did, I remember running a IH 454 gas tractor in high school and it was first tractor I drove that had the left hand shifter on it. I thought it was so cool. This would been around 1976. But the 454,464,574, and the 674 all had fuel tanks behind the operator seat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

`55 Ford had the tank behind the seat and the battery under the footplate.....!   Those tanks in the cab lasted forever.

80's GM had the side mount tanks that Ford made that commercial about how they blow up in a side crash (using something that made it explode of course).   My thought was always all the Ford (and GM) cars that had the tank in the back end....nobody ever showed a rear end collision blowing up....

Our 1486 had the rear tank and the side aux. tank.   I think at that time it was still "habit" to try to design the tractors so the tank was higher than the motor to get gravity feed.   Now of course, they put the tanks anywhere and use an electric pump....which is actually better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TWB said:

Yes they did, I remember running a IH 454 gas tractor in high school and it was first tractor I drove that had the left hand shifter on it. I thought it was so cool. This would been around 1976. But the 454,464,574, and the 674 all had fuel tanks behind the operator seat.

We had one too. That's how I knew the fuel tank was behind you.

Picture of ours circa June 1994. First time I ever roaded a tractor. I wasn't 10 yet according to the date taken and I had been driving it down farm lanes and fields for a year. Problem was Grandpa neglected to tell me how to put the tractor in high range. ( i realize its a simple slap the level to right now. Forgive me. I was 9) so I putted along for a mile and a half in low 4th to get back. Rookie mistake 

20150511_200053.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

`55 Ford had the tank behind the seat and the battery under the footplate.....!   Those tanks in the cab lasted forever.

80's GM had the side mount tanks that Ford made that commercial about how they blow up in a side crash (using something that made it explode of course).   My thought was always all the Ford (and GM) cars that had the tank in the back end....nobody ever showed a rear end collision blowing up....

Our 1486 had the rear tank and the side aux. tank.   I think at that time it was still "habit" to try to design the tractors so the tank was higher than the motor to get gravity feed.   Now of course, they put the tanks anywhere and use an electric pump....which is actually better.

All fuel ran down to the auxilary tank from the upper tank on 86 series tractors only the return line went to the top tank No electric fuel pump either 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...