Any Saskatchewan Members

CDN 400

Guy has a 915 combine that he says has a 407 in it but not sure now because he also has a 715 that he says has a chrysler gas in it and I know thats not right. I need the 407 if it really is one.

Maybe it’s a Cockshutt combine with a Chrysler gas engine? 

How quickly are you need of this?  Do you have pictures of what 407 looks like?  Only IH engines been around are 4 cylinder gas & a D360.  

2 hours ago, CDN 400 said:

Guy has a 915 combine that he says has a 407 in it but not sure now because he also has a 715 that he says has a chrysler gas in it and I know thats not right. I need the 407 if it really is one.

I had in mind that they used a 414 in those but I was wrong. Dug out a parts manual and here were the offerings it showed. Looks like 407 with or without turbo was an option. 

8A80D645-3803-4E55-8F45-E4B28B390600.jpeg

D5A1041B-070C-4161-8D5F-DC0E1F36E3A5.jpeg

626E1D5F-DD87-498A-AC92-3D30612D97B3.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I had in mind that they used a 414 in those but I was wrong. Dug out a parts manual and here were the offerings it showed. Looks like 407 with or without turbo was an option. 

You are right.  My brochure shows the only engine option is the 414.  However, my brochure is from 1976.  Yours is an early manual.  I think the 15 series came out in 68'.  So along the way IH must have dropped the 407 and the gas engines.  

506A516E-BCCA-437F-97EB-360DD0549A02.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

You are right.  My brochure shows the only engine option is the 414.  However, my brochure is from 1976.  Yours is an early manual.  I think the 15 series came out in 68'.  So along the way IH must have dropped the 407 and the gas engines.  

506A516E-BCCA-437F-97EB-360DD0549A02.jpeg

My buddy has a 915 and always told me it has a 414 but I never actually looked at it to see for sure. At least I wasn’t all wrong, thanks  😊

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I can’t imagine how much gas a 915 would burn in a long day on a hard load. No wonder they dropped that as an option. 

My father had a 715 gas back in the day. He put a 300 gallon tank on an old trailer frame to fuel it with. He got the 1440 in 79or80 and I was born in 76 so I don’t remember much of that old 715 but I think that machine turned him off to gas engines and he let everyone know how much of a gas hog it was. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I can’t imagine how much gas a 915 would burn in a long day on a hard load. No wonder they dropped that as an option. 

I bet gas 7700s weren't any better and there were a fair amount of them around here.  My uncle had one gas/hydro.  I've heard MF made some gas 750 and I know Gleaner Ls had the 350 chevy option. 

16 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I bet gas 7700s weren't any better and there were a fair amount of them around here.  My uncle had one gas/hydro.  I've heard MF made some gas 750 and I know Gleaner Ls had the 350 chevy option. 

The last Deere combines around here that were gas were 4400’s. My neighbor bought one new and said it would burn 65-70 gallons of gas a day when picking corn with a 4R30” head. I’ve never seen a 6600 or 7700 gas, but I’m sure either one would have been terrible in heavy crops. All the gas machines I knew of were prone to engine fires, much more so than the same machine with a diesel. 

8 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

The last Deere combines around here that were gas were 4400’s. My neighbor bought one new and said it would burn 65-70 gallons of gas a day when picking corn with a 4R30” head. I’ve never seen a 6600 or 7700 gas, but I’m sure either one would have been terrible in heavy crops. All the gas machines I knew of were prone to engine fires, much more so than the same machine with a diesel. 

Today I know were there is a gas 7700 sitting and 2 gas 6600s.  One of the 6600s owned by my neighbor could be one of the very last gas 6600s made.  It’s a 1975 model with the rotating screen on the side.  1975 was the last year of the gas option for the 6600.  It was dropped for the 7700 the previous year.

There was also a million gas MF 510s too around here.  Last gas combine we bought was a 1976 Western Special 510 with the 350 Chevy.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Even if it burned 100 gallons a day, with gas at .22/gal it was only $22/day.  But, you're right, when the gas "shortage" happened in the mid 70's and it went over a dollar for the first time, big gasoline power plants went out of favor fast.

4 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Today I know were there is a gas 7700 sitting and 2 gas 6600s.  One of the 6600s owned by my neighbor could be one of the very last gas 6600s made.  It’s a 1975 model with the rotating screen on the side.  1975 was the last year of the gas option for the 6600.  It was dropped for the 7700 the previous year.

There was also a million gas MF 510s too around here.  Last gas combine we bought was a 1976 Western Special 510 with the 350 Chevy.  

I ran a Western Special through the 1980s. Would have to push it pretty hard to burn 5 gallons an hour in the 350 GM. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Loadstar said:

I ran a Western Special through the 1980s. Would have to push it pretty hard to burn 5 gallons an hour in the 350 GM. 

We only had ours for 3 years.  That 350 wouldn’t run worth a crap.  Even the GM mechanic couldn’t figure it out.  We traded it and the other 510 we had  for a 760 with the 354 Perkins.  The 760 was a POS but one good thing about it was that 354 burned half the fuel both 510s did together but yet cut more acres them both when it was running.  That’s kinda amazing when you consider the both our 760 and the 510 used the same diesel engine. 

The early 915s is seen had a dt407 or SV345 (Gas or LPG) and late dt414.

The early 815 had d407 or SV304 (GAS OR LPG) and late had a d414.

These were all rice combines and there may have to variations. 

In response to an earlier post I regret to inform you that Richard Pope passed away yesterday.  I thought he had posted more recent than 2 years but I know he has not been on lately.

I could make a run to Langham, it is a little over an hour from me.  I maybe should have a photo of a 407 but it probably has the displacement in the serial number space.  

• Sad 7

17 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

We only had ours for 3 years.  That 350 wouldn’t run worth a crap.  Even the GM mechanic couldn’t figure it out.  We traded it and the other 510 we had  for a 760 with the 354 Perkins.  The 760 was a POS but one good thing about it was that 354 burned half the fuel both 510s did together but yet cut more acres them both when it was running.  That’s kinda amazing when you consider the both our 760 and the 510 used the same diesel engine. 

This 350 ran good and even better once we discovered it had a few cracked hydraulic valve lifters. Not noticeable at high rpm but at idle the oil pressure dropped enough that the lifters had excessive clearance. A few new lifters fixed it up. That combine was better than the 550 I replaced it with even though they were identical internally. Only good part of the 550 was the Perkins 354. So easy on fuel.