A Tractor Pull Worth Watching, I Could Also Watch Crawlers at Play

Grandson and I go to that pull every year.  Threshermen's picnic in Pinckneyville, IL.  Every year, they feature a different brand.  Last year it was Deere - they had the original Cajun Queen I on display there.  One year it was just 460s and 560s, IIRC.

They always make a demo pull with an engine like that.  Really slow, but unstoppable.

They shovel sawdust in to the firebox to make mucho sparks.

8 hours ago, JaredT said:

Now that is old school kewl

We had a guy here in western ny that for a few years would pull his pulling tractor onto the track with a team of draft horses. It was a pretty cool sight seeing them come out onto the track. I think they used to pull national back in the day. Hans Boxler and later Hans jr the tractor was called ‘the special’. I haven’t seen it run in at least 5or6 years and Hans sr passed away a few years ago. 

Steam up whistle

This is the most popular video on my channel. My good friend on his 30-90 Russel pulling the sled in Wauseon Ohio at the National Threshers show. It's a great engine and he is one of the best engineers. 

Spark shows are awesome no matter how many times I have seen them. The crowd loves it! Us engineers are always rooting on for our buddies. At NTA we have had as many as 6 going at once, including one on the pull sled, and a road locomotive making laps on the track! This year I rode around the track with a friend on a little steam runabout. I have tried to spark a few times, with varying success. Some engines are better for sparking, and some engineers just have the knack for it. 

1 hour ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Spark shows are awesome no matter how many times I have seen them. The crowd loves it! Us engineers are always rooting on for our buddies. At NTA we have had as many as 6 going at once, including one on the pull sled, and a road locomotive making laps on the track! This year I rode around the track with a friend on a little steam runabout. I have tried to spark a few times, with varying success. Some engines are better for sparking, and some engineers just have the knack for it. 

Just the sound made it worth listening to.

• Like 1